• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

COPS

Started by xxnethelinxx, April 07, 2006, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxnethelinxx

Today my house was visited by cops b.c of a certain neighboor which claimed i was playing TOO loud, what should i do to lower the sound or soundproof?

Jon E

Yep. If the neighbor says it's loud--it's loud.  That all that matters.

I might suggest speaking with the neighbor.  Let them know that you will try to keep it reasonable, but if they are still having an issue to come speak with you about it first.

A little niceness on your end can go a long way.

William Leslie

I would visit your local city, town ,or township offices and read or obtain a copy of the noise laws for your area. This will help you determind when you may pratice and be  with in the laws that govern this activity. Your neighbors may not like it, but you also have rights and they will also have to work around your legal rights. It may not sound fair to you because of the way your neighbors are complaining, but we went throgh this several years ago and found out that due to my wifes work and work hours, our neighbors didn't have the right to cut the lawn during morning hours up to noon time. That is with a power lawn tractor. After they learned this and we spoke with each of the neighbors independently, we were able to reach an agreement that was suitable for all concerned. Your law enforcement officers will also assist in matters of this nature to obtain peace and harmony. The string we pulled here was the fact that my wife is an ER Nurse and works 7:00pm to 7:ooam and most of the people that were upset about when they could cut grass were seen in the ER by my wife atleast once or twice in the past twelve months. Remenber we all have some string to pull when matters get out of hand. You just have to remind folks about these strings. Check those local laws.

sleepybrIghteyez

What time of the day were you playing? If it was during the day, then that is pretty lame for someone to complain (unless you were really outstandingly loud - or if you live in an apt). If you can't afford to buy special muting devices, you could always throw a sock or tshirt on each drum. I've done that before.

I'm lucky no one has complained about my recent drumming. My neighbor across the street says he can't hear it in his house though, only outside. I get along with all my neighbors too, so that helps. At one of my old apt's I had a neighbor who called the cops on me in the middle of the night, saying I was playing my drums. Cops wake me up by pouding on my door, and then tell me to keep it down...

Rick

Communication is key. You might try to explain your practice schedule, or even ask what times they may prefer. Try to be their friend. Tell them you will try to keep it quiter. Ask them to call you if it gets to loud. If they call, then stop. Your showiing them that you are concerned about their peace and quite may prevent them from further complaints.

xxnethelinxx

Well i play from like 5pm to 8pm so its still early, and Jon i wish i could talk to them but i dont know which one was it lol

David Crigger

Certainly check where you stand local law-wise. When I was a kid, where I lived the law said anthing was fair game till 9pm. Years later living in Los Angeles proper, it was much different - neighbor across the street was complaining about a jazz group rehearsal in the middle of the day. The policaman that came by to tell me we'd have to cool it explain that the law then/there was "if someone complains, it's too loud". He was actually quite nice in the face of my stunned disbelief - he actually dropped by later with a xerox of the statute for me - which basically confirm what he said - though it took about 300 hundred more words to do it. :-)

Definitely ask around and find out who it is, if you can. Maybe you can work something out. With the hours you mention, maybe it someone you usually don't bother but who might like a little piece and quiet during his/her dinner - quality time with the wife and kids. Seems worth your while to express a desire to be as accomodating as possible.

As for sound-proofing - well, that's a bg step. But there are a few little things that can certainly help. First - sound is air bourne, so close the windows and doors of whatever room you're playing in. Most garages aren't good for practicing, because they are usually single layer (no interior wall board and un-insulated with that big leaky door - you might as well be outdoors, if playing in an untreated garage.

If you can find out where the offended neighbor is, try to put as much of the rest of your house between him and where you practice - the sound has to travel farther and go through more walls and doors to get to him, which will make it softer.

All of these suggestions may not be practical for your situation, but some might.

Good luck with this.

David

Snowdogyyz

Electric drums. Not the same thing, but if all else fails......

(of course try the good things everyone has mentioned above first)

DRWM

I have an agreement with my surrounding neighbors.  I can play until 8:30 and they won't call the cops.

When I moved to my current neighborhood, I went around to all of the families and introduced myself explaining that I'm a drummer and would they mind my practicing and the occasional band rehearsal provided I make no drum sounds after 8:30.  Everyone agreed.  

My point is, I think as mentioned previously, if you communicate with people you'll get good results.  Maybe you can work out a similar deal with your neighbors.

JayB

Oh man this used to happen to me ALL the time, so I just quit practicing for awhile.  It sucks, but there was NOTHING I could do.  Simply put, the lady did NOT want me playing drums--at ALL.  I tried fighting it, but cops would still repeatedly come and knock on our door, embarrass and inconvience my parents and be a real dick about it all.  We wouldn't play for more than an hour, at reasonable times, and cops would still show up.  I got tired of their harrassment and belligerence so I gave in.  Now we practice wherever we can--storage garages, HEAVILY (and crappily) "sound proofed" houses, anywhere.  We even play "gigs" for free wherever we can and use it as a practice--most of these places are so happy to have a decent band that they don't notice that it's just a practice.  Electric drums are the greatest solution, but @$%# it's expensive.  Also, if you do all of your playing on an electric set, it may be tougher for you to do the same on your acoustic drums--it was for me.

xxnethelinxx

JayB u nver got a ticket or nothin how many time did cops go to ur haus?

Rylie

I spoke with my neighbor when I knew he'd be sauced - usually only on  days ending with "Y" -  and  told him I would be playing loud at times, but never as loud as his two Jack Russell Terriers bark when I'm trying to sleep.

He seemed to be OK with that and hasn't complained. Or if he has, I haven't heard him.

Dave Heim

Quote from: xxnethelinxx on April 07, 2006, 05:39 PM

Any chance you might be able to use real words?  That text message abbreviation junk is hard to read.

Rylie

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on April 07, 2006, 09:15 PM
Any chance you might be able to use real words?  That text message abbreviation junk is hard to read.

In 10 years, there will be no vowels, High School Diplomas will be merely certificates of attendence (I think they are now), and pens/pencils will only be found in museums.  ;)

drumz1

No offense intended, but I can see why some kids don't make it past the eighth grade.

Can you imagine getting a letter in the mail that was written that way?

Wow.

drumwild

H4x0r 733T LOLrSk8z harhar

Sorry. Brain-rot getting to me.

The rules are the rules.

Chip Donaho

I don't have that problem anymore since I live in an apartment. But when I had a house my neighbors put up with my drumming and band practice. I made it understood what the local laws meant for both of us. And if they gripped any, I just made sure I "tuned" our race bikes at 6 am on Sunday morning.... No problem after that stunt, they shut up real quick. Besides that, once a year we would put on a local block party for everyone. Nothing like a free street dance to calm them. One time, my neighbor read us the law....He was an off duty cop. Then we turned down to 8 on the PA.....   ;D

workinprogress

Quote from: xxnethelinxx on April 07, 2006, 12:27 AM
what should i do to lower the sound or soundproof?

Here's my low-budget (and somewhat tacky) DIY soundproofing setup in my garage. It actually works pretty well, although I guess I did luck out with having a double-walled garage (hollow space between the interior drywall and exterior wall). My drums are not loud at all outside.
No neighbor has ever called the cops or complained and I sometimes play til 10pm.

- carpet remnants to cover the concrete floor (you can get a 6'x9' for about $20 at wal-mart)

- various large, flattened-out, cardboard boxes (old computer boxes work great!) fastened to the walls and the inside of the garage door (these work like a double layer of heavy corrugated cardboard)

- (1) 8ft x 12ft 10mil tarp from Home Depot (about $20) to cover the garage door (and the boxes on it). The tarp is big enough to cover all the gaps around the edges of the door so there are no noise leaks.

I've listened outside while a friend played my drums and it sounded like someone was playing a stereo at a fairly low volume inside the garage. You could hear it of course, but it wasn't loud enough to be heard inside a neighbor's house.

efaubert1

Personally, when I was young and lived in a subdivision I was lucky. My neighbors were cool. My next door neighbor was a bachelor, and friend of my dad. Now days, I live a 1/4 mile from my closest neighbor, so I don't have much complaint except from the horses, birds, and dogs. I just tune my wife and daughter out :)