• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

...snare selection....

Started by yukio, May 31, 2003, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukio

....i'm just kinda thinking out loud....but i need a new snare and i have a few options. maple 14 x 5 10 lug, brass 14 x 6 10 lug acro 14 x 5 8lug and a couple of others all variations on this theme. i really like the sound/ feel of 10 lug snares- more responsive. ..but i can only afford ONE at the moment and i am playing in a variety of groups acoustic singer/songwriter brushes kinda deal, punk, rock, metal, and an improv funk group.... any thoughts?   ............at the moment i'm using a standard pearl 14 x 6 steel shell which while is a decent snare is not satisfying to play if you know what i mean.......

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 06:48 PM
....i'm just kinda thinking out loud....but i need a new snare and i have a few options. maple 14 x 5 10 lug, brass 14 x 6 10 lug acro 14 x 5 8lug and a couple of others all variations on this theme. i really like the sound/ feel of 10 lug snares- more responsive. ..but i can only afford ONE at the moment and i am playing in a variety of groups acoustic singer/songwriter brushes kinda deal, punk, rock, metal, and an improv funk group.... any thoughts?  

I'm obviously an Acrolite fan, but if you're a 10-lug guy, it's not the drum for you. I'd think the brass would be more versatile than the wood, but can you get a 5 instead of a 6? The 6 might be overwhelming in some contexts, and harder to get to a high pitch if desired.

A good 5x14 brass drum will get you through just about anything - but you may need to watch your volume if you do any soft gigs - brass can really cut.

Mark Schlipper

i would normally agree with acro about the brass being the versatile one, but since you have a steel snare already, id go with the wood.  

not that steel sounds like brass, but itll give you the cut, edge, bite, other nasty descriptive, that you might want for the louder gigs.  while the maple can give you the other end of the spectrum.  if you only have two drums, having two metal shells is more limiting than a metal and wood.  and you can do some upgrading on the steel to improve it if need be.  heads wires etc.

yukio

.....thanks for the input guys.... Mr A i DO  prefer a 14 x 5 but my choices are limited 'cause i only buy sec. hand drums on principle........563. i am actually selling the steel. i have upgraded everything on that snare rims heads wires etc but it has to go. for some reason ny friend LOVES it  and wants to buy it so out with the old.....

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 07:50 PM
.....thanks for the input guys.... Mr A i DO  prefer a 14 x 5 but my choices are limited 'cause i only buy sec. hand drums on principle.

In that case, I bet you can find exactly what you want on eBay. There's tons of 5x14 brass drums floating around on the web, and if you're not adverse to used drums, that opens up your selection considerably.

Slingerland's 5.5x14 copper drum is also nice, and sells for $135 or less, depending on whether Musicyo is having a sale. That's another possibility...

yukio

[...  i live in australia and while i have used ebay to buy stuff from the states before, the shipping costs bump up the price considerably....

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 07:50 PM563. i am actually selling the steel.

ahh ... in that case then yeah, MR A's on target.  but i gotta say, just having one snare for that wide a variety will be tricky.  i highly recommend that if you pick up a brass, that you find a wood drum as well.   again thinking slingeryo thoughts, the 5x13 wood seems a popular cheap second.  if you shop at musicyo you will figure out the shipping before you confirm your purchase so you can always back out if you think its too pricey.

yukio

Quote from: 563 on May 31, 2003, 08:31 PM
ahh ... in that case then yeah, MR A's on target.  but i gotta say, just having one snare for that wide a variety will be tricky.
 ...it is ...although for recordings i generally beg borrow or hire other snares....i've owned a lot of different snares over the years but never more than two at once and i have never tried a brass so maybe that is my choice we shall see ...thanks again for the input.
it is... i generally beg, borrow or hire different snares if i really need a certain sound for recording etc.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 09:04 PMbut never more than two at once

HOW DO YOU LIVE!!!  ;D   sorry, thats the "junkie" in me talking (yelling actually ... sorry  ;D )

Christopher

Wow, down to one!  :o

I wouldn't be able to sleep.  ;D

When you get the new one, you might want to get a junker as well to keep as a spare for live gigs at the very least.

1 snare + 1 gig + unforseen breakage = bad gig

yukio

...i buy something going this is it THIS is my sound after all its the player not the drum right? then a few months/weeks/days later i find myself going this is NOT it this sux......i work at a music rehearsal space and im constantly hearing different snares so im always changing my mind on what sound i want...

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 09:21 PMafter all its the player not the drum right?

this comes up a lot and well, yes and no.  noone can make a 13x3 steel snare sound like a 14x6 Radioking.  noone.  the best players are capable of making the most of the gear they use.   but they also try and use the gear thats right for the gig.   would Elvin Jones sound like Elvin Jones on Travis Barkers drum set? yes.  but he would never bring that kit to a gig, he'd bring his kit.

Christopher

Quote from: 563 on May 31, 2003, 09:27 PM
noone can make a 13x3 steel snare sound like a 14x6 Radioking.  noone.

One name comes to mind. Bill Bruford.

yukio

...anyway now that i have your attention. check out my bass players site. he whines cause less than 100 people have looked at it.
http://geocities.com/fulltasslejacket]geocities.com/fulltasslejacket

Louis Russell

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on May 31, 2003, 07:18 PM
I'm obviously an Acrolite fanmay need to watch your volume if you do any soft gigs - brass can really cut.

I would never have guessed that Mr A.   ;D

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 06:48 PM
i need a new snare and i have a few options.

Look one that is totally different than what you have.  You will have more options available.  

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: yukio on May 31, 2003, 10:14 PM
...anyway now that i have your attention. check out my bass players site. he whines cause less than 100 people have looked at it.
http://geocities.com/fulltasslejacket]geocities.com/fulltasslejacket

i went and hit refresh a few times.  that should make him feel famous :)

felix

I use a yamaha brass 5.5 manu katche for almost everything.  Professor Sound even has this drum.

They are nice but pricey.  My dad bought me mine about 8 years ago for $365.  You could prolly get one for 3 hundred.

yukio

....ok...i bought a 1964 5 x 14 chrome over brass ludwig 10 lug for 61 american....now just have to wait 2 weeks for it to get here.....

felix

unbelievable that someone would sell their snare for that cheap
\
the chrome over brass ludwigs can sound fantastic...good choice if you ask me

yukio

...it seems i was mistaken....this drum is made of ludalloy which is alluminium.....oh well least it still has 10 lugs.....