• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Which drum brain...?

Started by QuadGod083, June 20, 2002, 10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadGod083

Ok...I have another questoin about electronics.  I just got a great deal on a Trapkat 1.0 (which I will upgrade to a 3.1 soon after I have it) and I need to know your opinion on brains.
I alread own an Alesis D4 that I have used for triggering, but I want something a little more extravagant.  The ones I have been considering are the Alesis DMPro, and the Roland TD-6 and TD-8.  (I thought about a DM5, but I was told that the D4 is actually better.)
Also, I want to do more "solo" things with it (like in the videos from the Alternate Mode web site).  Will I need a seperate brain for that?  Or is there one that has drum sounds as well as melodic sounds (marimba, piano, guitar/bass, etc.)?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

--adam--

Bart Elliott

There are a lot of sound modules out on the market, but I can't recommend any of them based on the purpose you have stated.

I highly recommend that you set your sites on getting a sampler. This way you only purchase, create or download the sounds you want and can use. To get a sound module that would contain the same types of "high quality" sounds would run anywhere from $4000 to $5000. Even then you will be limited to the internal sounds with no way of upgrading (unless it offers additional sound source cards).  If you get a sampler, the sounds are limitless ... as you can purchase the sample CDs that you like and load what you want. The sampler will not become obsolete nearly as quick as an independent sound module.

I'm assuming you want sounds that you would be happy with in a recording environment, as well as live performance. If this is the case, a sampler is the way to go. If you just want something to practice with and potential perform live on occassion, then maybe a sound module would meet your needs. It's hard to find a module that has it all ... especially in the way of high quality sounds across the board.

I've been extremely happy with my AKAI S6000. It's powerful, flexible and has no limits; I only need to purchase the individual sound I need and away I go.

If you need more assistance in finding the right module or sampler ... just let me know. We have a number of people here in the Cafe that can assist you besides myself. But for now, you need to decide on what you need, sampler vs. module, and figure out what kind of money you can invest.