• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 12:03 PM
however his snare sounded pretty good...i only got a brief glance at it but it looked like dw.
Yes, it's a DW.  The story behind that snare and how Charlie got it is detailed over at Drumsmith.

Ranman

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 10:47 AM
watching him play is just kinda disturbing...hes looks really stiff.

also he rarely hits the hihat and snare at the same time...

not saying he doesnt do his job, just that he bothers me.

oh and is that some sort of china hes has mounted just above his rack tom?

again...kinda bothers me

Bet you don't bother him

Christopher

felix

It took me almost 25  years to appreciate his playing and how GREAT of a drummer he is.  I only wish my meter was that great.  Charlie is a groove meister.

Maybe some day you will get it, maybe you won't... no biggie to me.

onmyown

perhaps in time...also im not a big stones fanatic and know very little about them.

charlie might be a great guy who gives all his money to charity, goes home to a beautiful family and practices good health habits.

no i dont bother him..most professionals dont let opinions get to them...

ill just have to make sure next time i decide to voice an opinion here..i should make sure its about peter criss

Snowdogyyz

You get the same reactions to Ringo, Neil Peart, etc, etc.  Some people think they are the cat's meow, others think they are overrated and unworthy. Different strokes for different folks!

onmyown

understood...its all over this place..haha

but hey if everyone was the same..life would be really boring

Dave Heim

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 01:23 PM
but hey if everyone was the same..life would be really boring

Bingo!

speedking

Back in the day I would watch Keith Moon play on film and scratch my head because what he was playing did not look like what he sounded like. Years later I found out that all of his toms were tuned the same. I think if each of his toms were tuned to them self the music would have sounded insane.I have watched alot of drummers over the years and some guys are fun to watch and some not but in the end its the sound that counts.IMO. Charlie Rocks!!

Joe

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 01:17 PM
ill just have to make sure next time i decide to voice an opinion here..i should make sure its about peter criss

Hey!  As long as your opinion is informed, you can decry Steve Gadd for all I care.  In fact, we could use some opposing viewpoints upon his playing. :)

onmyown

ahaha
just picking
i know about as much about peter as i do charlie.
very very little

i could just imagine one of my old teacher telling charlie "use more wrist less elbow!!!"

of course as some mentioned earlier...hes pretty old

so i guess the fact that he can stil get it moving is a good thing.

jokerjkny

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on February 06, 2006, 11:15 AM
Charlie always looks distinguished.  The other guys always look like they were ridden hard and put away wet.

+1

besides, just close your eyes, and listen with your ears, and let the magic of Charlie's backbeat wash over you.  

heck, when i hear Steve Jordan going into rock mode, i hear LOTS of charlie groove in his feel.

jokerjkny

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hey!  As long as your opinion is informed, you can decry Steve Gadd for all I care.  In fact, we could use some opposing viewpoints upon his playing. :)

he really needs to tune his snare higher...    :P

onmyown

now i do enjoy watching steve jordan...

Joe

Quote from: jokerjkny on February 06, 2006, 01:41 PM
he really needs to tune his snare higher...    :P

Can I make a confession?

I'm getting really sick of that paradiddle-hi-hat choke thing he does.  Of course, he does it so well, though, and consistently so.

And while I like his sounds, I can't say I don't hear you as to the snare drum.  What's that from, anyway; the imitation of a field drum?  I do think he pulls out higher snare drum sounds from time to time, though; I've even seen him with a piccolo in some photo.

DWdrmr

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 12:00 PM
just thought i would toss it out there.... see others opinions.

id say it was worth it..i learned alittle about the man, the myth, the legend..

i think

The reason this did'nt work so well, other than the obvious, is I said basically the same thing in another thread.."under appreciated drummers"..when somebody threw his name out there. And got exactly the same response.. :P This thread is still up there, but you can see from the date on it...we just went thru this   ;)  if you would care to peruse it.. :)

genetics17

Coming from a family of musicians, I grew up with the stones playing in the background. Last night during their performance, I had to listen to everybody criticize the aged looks of one of the greatest bands ever. I guess that just goes to show that people dont just listen to the music anymore. Mick Jaggar at his age looks like he's in better shape than most front men I see today and in my opinion, the stones played hard and gave a great performance. Charlie Watts has always had the same style which makes him as a drummer unique and respected. Anyway, I thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth.

DougB

Quote from: genetics17 on February 06, 2006, 03:16 PM
Coming from a family of musicians, I grew up with the stones playing in the background. Last night during their performance, I had to listen to everybody criticize the aged looks of one of the greatest bands ever. I guess that just goes to show that people dont just listen to the music anymore. Mick Jaggar at his age looks like he's in better shape than most front men I see today and in my opinion, the stones played hard and gave a great performance. Charlie Watts has always had the same style which makes him as a drummer unique and respected. Anyway, I thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth.

Interestingly the people at my party were all talking about how Mick was in pretty good shape for his age, especially given all the years of drug abuse.  The same cannot be said about Keith Richards.

The funniest thing that Mick said, during the intro to Satisfaction was "we could have played this at Super Bowl I".  That gives you an idea of how long he's been around.

onmyown

at his age id be proud to wear womans pants too...

felix

LONG LIVE THE ROLLING STONES!!!!  That was awesome.  I thought they were GREAT.

Yeah, that's all me and my customers and suppliers have been talking about at work today- how cool the Stones' halftime show was.