• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Under-appreciated Drummers

Started by Steve "Smitty" Smith, January 30, 2006, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nudrum

DWdrmr suggested Joe Pocaro as a possibilty. Wouldn't Jeff have been a little young?

lonearrngr

Quote from: nudrum on February 09, 2006, 01:45 PM
DWdrmr suggested Joe Pocaro as a possibilty. Wouldn't Jeff have been a little young?

actually , I did mean Jeff .. he started doing sessions in his early 20s and he died WAY too young !

also ..I forgot Vinnie Coliauta!

DWdrmr

I found that Jim Gordon played on Mason William's "Phonograph Record" in '68..but when I look the album up it says it was released in '90..which Classical Gas is not on ,anyway.
Also two Monkees albums. There's a pretty complete discography if you do a google

tm7246

Every one knows who he is and what he did yet very few people list him as their " favorite" or "most" any thing, and yet i fully believe he took the art of drumming further then any one and it will be along time untill any one takes it further in my view. That would be the late great Tony Williams. Eddie Bayer, (a very good and musical drummer his own self) once said people would better off learning his (Eddie's) style of playing than to learn how Tony played. At first I thought this to be an odd statement but on reflection, he was probly right. I had the oppurtunity to see him do a clinic with both Virgil D. and Dennis Ch. Tony played for a solid hour, one idea flowing to another effortlessly,with a negro spiritual or two  thrown in on his toms some where in the middle. With all due respect to both Virgil and Dennis...Tony smoked them..To show how underated.Tony is...My friend, a good drummer in his own right went to sleep in Tony's Solo. He said he was bored. I suddenly realized what Eddie Bayer was talking about.

DougB

Kudos to Slim Jim Phantom of the Stray Cats for keeping it simple and still sounding great.

http://www.slimjimphantom.com/PhotosSJPTrioCW9L30July05.htm

DougB

Mark Schlipper

Steve Jansen - the band Japan got lumped in with other new romantic bands like Duran Duran, but their "rhythm" section of Jansen and Mick Karn were totally alien compared to their peers.   He wasn't a typical pocket drummer and seemed to have no ties to the dance floor that so many of those bands did.   He chose odd patterns that nevertheless managed to groove and propel the music.  

Guillermo Brown - admittedly, he's relatively new on the jazz scene, which does tend to favor older dogs.   This avant jazz and more player tends to get overshadowed by other New York players like William Hooker and Joey Baron (not that those guys don't deserve acclaim).   He has a forward looking approach to the genre but isn't as "out" as many of his contemporaries, making him a formidable and flexable player.  

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: DougB on February 15, 2006, 07:17 AM
Danny Seraphine - Chicago

And Gary Mallaber from Steve Miller Band.  If I remember correctly, he was also the drummer for Animal, from the muppets.  He really grooves in songs like "Take the money and run" and "Rock'n me baby."

smoggrocks

ooh, how 'bout adam nussbaum? he's played with a ton of people, and yet you don't always hear him cited by lots of drummers.

part of what i like about him is that he does real highbrow [scofield, brecker bros] and real lowbrow gigs. few years back, i went to a jazz jam at a super-crapola bar down the block from me. i'd brought my sticks and was getting up the nerve to actually play, when in walks mr. nussbaum. i retreated faster than you can say buzz roll. but i did get a nice feast for my ears.

nussbaum definitely keeps it real.

mapexdrummer1234

Quote from: L Lawless on January 30, 2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, he was  OK in his time, but what has he done lately? ;)

He died.

mapexdrummer1234

Quote from: dwdrummer665 on January 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
Buddy Rick isnt as noticed as he wuz years back ;D

Apologies.... I saw Buddy RicH. my brain isn't functioning...  ;)

Jon E

How about:

Alan Myers ~DEVO

John "Willie" Wilcox ~Utopia (Todd Rundgren)

John "Bermuda" Schwartz ~Weird Al
(I'm not adding 'muda to be a suck up.  I thoroughly enjoy the fact that he (and his bandmates)has to play SO many different styles each night.  Very entertaining)

Louis Russell

Quote from: Jon E on February 16, 2006, 07:02 AMJohn "Bermuda" Schwartz ~Weird Al
(I'm not adding 'muda to be suck up.  I thoroughly enjoy the fact that he (and his bandmates)has to play SO many different styles each night.  Very entertaining)

AND a lot of work to do the great  job as he does.  

DougB

Quote from: styles2281 on February 15, 2006, 02:20 PM
And Gary Mallaber from Steve Miller Band.  If I remember correctly, he was also the drummer for Animal, from the muppets.  He really grooves in songs like "Take the money and run" and "Rock'n me baby."

You and I must have similar tastes - I mentioned Steve Miller in an earlier post!   ;D

Mark Counts

I have got one for you all.  In the mid 70's, I went to a concert in Cinci Oh. I saw Sammy Hagar and Ronnie Montrose,  Then Frank Marino and Mohagany Rush and Blue Oyster Cult.
This guy played a five piece set and played one of the most killer dum solo's I have seen.
http://www.cellsum.com/ab.htm.
His name was Albert Bouchard.  He was with Blue Oyster Cult for about 10 years. Bet most of you haven't even heard of him?
                                Nutty

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: DougB on February 16, 2006, 07:41 AM
You and I must have similar tastes - I mentioned Steve Miller in an earlier post!   ;D

You did?  I'm sorry, I didn't see him mentioned (must have missed it) if I'd seen it, I wouldn't have double posted.  But, yes...I like his china/cymbal work.  Just a very solid and creative drummer.

tm7246

How about Terry Lynn Carrington...She is Playing her ass off (and it's a very nice looking ass as well ((oops...coul'nt help  the pun..no offense terry))

Dave Heim

I saw a Rodney Dangerfield performance in town many years ago.  Rodney is introduced, he walks on stage followed by a drummer carrying a snare drum with a small cymbal attached, and a throne.  The drummer, wearing a tux, sits upstage from Rodney through the entire show and delivers a simple yet perfectly placed 'ba-doom - crash' after key jokes in Rodney's routine.

I don't know the guy's name, they never acknowledged him, but considering Rodney never got any respect, his drummer had to feel under-appreciated!

tm7246

And the youngest Marsallis brother...Forget his name but he is certainly not under appereciated in the marsallis family. They all consider him the most talented of the bunch. And his compositions are great. he composes like a drummer. He has the most different approach to the drum set I have heard, totaly his own thing

Tkitna

Dennis Elliott from Foreigner is underrated too. I've always thought he was really good, but never ever gets mentioned.