• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The band RUSH

Started by tamadrumster, November 03, 2005, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglelord

DECEMBER 15...ANATOMY OF A DRUM SOLO...3 HOURS OF NEIL BREAKING DOWN THE 10 MIN DRUM SOLO FROM GERMANY.
2X 30MIN FREE FORM SOLOS...
CHECK THE WEB SITE
http://www.rush.com/php/home.php?f=0
:D
I'M GETTING ONE FOR MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT... :P
COMING DECEMBER 15, 2005
ââ,¬Å"ANATOMY OF A DRUM SOLOââ,¬Â by Neil Peart
Anatomy of a Drum Solo presents newly-recorded, in-studio footage of Neil discussing, in detail, his approach to soloing. Using a solo recorded in September, 2004 in Frankfurt, Germany, as a framework, Neil talks about each segment of this nine-minute tour de force that is a feature of each Rush performance. He describes the inspiration and the conceptual thinking behind each part of the solo and discusses, and often demonstrates, the technique necessary for playing that segment.

Also included are two ââ,¬Å"explorationsââ,¬Â -- completely improvised workouts at the drums, each over thirty-minutes long; a never-before-released solo recorded in Hamburg, Germany in September, 2004 ("Ich Bin Ein Hamburger"); ââ,¬Å"O Bateristaââ,¬Â, Neil's Grammy(r) Award-nominated solo (previously released on the Rush in Rio DVD); two full Rush performances from Frankfurt ââ,¬â,,¢04, all shot from the perspective of the drum cameras; interviews with Lorne Wheaton, Neilââ,¬â,,¢s drum tech, and Paul Northfield, Rush co-producer and engineer; a full-color booklet, a photo gallery and more.

Run Time: app. Three-Hours-and-Twenty-Two Minutes

ââ,¬Â¢ DISC ONE
ââ,¬Â¢ Anatomy of a Drum Solo
ââ,¬Â¢ Der Trommlerââ,¬Â (recorded September, 2004, Frankfurt)
ââ,¬Â¢ Neilââ,¬â,,¢s analysis and discussion of ââ,¬Å"Der Trommlerââ,¬Â and of his approach to soloing  
ââ,¬Â¢ Sidebar 1-Exclusive Hamburg solo ("Ich Bin Ein Hamburger")
ââ,¬Â¢ Sidebar 2- ââ,¬Å"Exploration #1ââ,¬Â
ââ,¬Â¢ DISC TWO
ââ,¬Â¢ Bonus Features, including: ââ,¬ÂExploration #2ââ,¬Â
ââ,¬Â¢ ââ,¬Å"O Bateristaââ,¬Â (solo from Rush in Rio)
ââ,¬Â¢ Interview with Paul Northfield, Rush co-producer and engineer, and Lorne Wheaton, Neilââ,¬â,,¢s drum tech
ââ,¬Â¢ Lorne Wheaton setting up and talking about Neilââ,¬â,,¢s drumkit
ââ,¬Â¢ Two Rush performances from the perspective of the drum cameras  
ââ,¬Â¢ A Previously Unreleased Solo from Rushââ,¬â,,¢s 1994 Counterparts Tour
ââ,¬Â¢ Special Features
ââ,¬Â¢ Alternate Edits-During parts of Neilââ,¬â,,¢s analysis of ââ,¬Å"Der Trommler,ââ,¬Â the viewer can choose between two different edits, one with related playing examples in full screen and one with Neil in view while the playing example is shown in a separate inset. These spots are identified by an on-screen icon.  
ââ,¬Â¢ Audio-only bonus marimba tracks, ââ,¬Å"Momoââ,¬â,,¢s Dance Partyââ,¬Â and ââ,¬Å"Pieces of Eight,ââ,¬Â composed and performed by Neil, which can be accessed at various points in the program.
ââ,¬Â¢ Bonus Footage-A previously unreleased solo from the Rush Counterparts tour recorded March 27, 1994 at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan.
ââ,¬Â¢ Camera-Option---During Neilââ,¬â,,¢s performance of ââ,¬Å"Der Tommlerââ,¬Â, the viewer can choose between the program edit and two, isolated cameras, for different views.
ââ,¬Â¢ Two Rush performances (ââ,¬Å"Tom Sawyerââ,¬Â and ââ,¬Å"Subdivisionsââ,¬Â) recorded Frankfurt, September, 2004 from the perspective of the drum cameras.
ââ,¬Â¢ Photo Gallery

Retail Price: $49.95 USD

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: Drum4JC on November 04, 2005, 06:53 PM
Me too.  I joined the Rush wave with Moving Pictures as an 8th grader.  I've been to something like 7 shows since then and loved every one of them.  I had been playing drums for a few years before I heard Rush for the first time, but probably no other album had as profound an influence on me than Moving Pictures.  Looking forward to the new DVD!

When I was in High School (82-84) my closest buds and I were all in the percussion section in marching band, and we all played kit, and we all knew every note of Moving Pictures and Exit Stage Left, and we all had older brothers and sisters that were into 2112, etc, and had been with them since the beginning, ahhh North American suburbia in the 70's and 80's. We all still play kit, and have all worked steadily since then, and its a part of who I am as a player

Jay Northrop

Love them to death. Greatest concert I have ever been to...and I have been to many. I am soexcited that the 30th anniversary dvd is coming out,Neils new video,and they will be making another studio record soon. Great band...

moxman

I liked the Rush in Rio DVD where the huge soccer stadium is full of rabid Rush fans and they interview people in the crowd - and they're practically all drummers!

Geddy's voice - I think of it as Robert Plant on helium - I don't know how he can sing melody and play bass all at the same time..

rawdrums22

Yeah RUSH is pretty amazing and I can't wait for the DVD it will be so sweet.  Neil is just nuts when it comes to his drumming.  He also writes a good portion of the songs and man what great songs he can write.  When I saw the Easter Egg for the Anthem video on RUSH IN RIO it blew my mind that a 3-man band can go from touring in a van to playing in a different country.  They have rocked for so long and lets hope they can keep making great music.

Danno

I might be the only person here who likes Rush's first album best. It totally rocked ...I can't get into what they did since then. "Finding My Way" -- "Working Man" -- "In The Mood" -- that stuff ROCKS. John Rutsey was no Neil Peart; he's just a rock drummer, but I think he fit those songs.

I'll be the first to admit Neil Peart is fifty times better than me. I even own one of his cymbals. But to me, his drumming sounds mechanical. I like nuance, even if it's not earth-shatteringly fast or complicated.

The first incarnation of Rush had the raw rock power of Montrose, another old rock band I still listen to.

I think what turned me off to Rush more than anything was the song "Tom Sawyer", because that's one of my favorite books, and Geddy's lyrics were an abomination (to me). "Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you, and the space he invades he gets by on you." What the hell is that all about?

Don't everybody jump on me at once. Please take turns.

wgd1234

HAha i love rush!!!  No drummer can dis them thats for sure.  Im sure hoping they go on  tour again because they always stop at Buffalo and i will definatly be there!  I have to say i hate theyre stuff in the late 80's though ( power windows hold your fire etc. )  theyre early stuff into the early 80's is all amazing though.  Im pumped for the new dvd i hear it has old 70's fottage on it.

wgd1234

O jeez that song has extremely loose connections to the story Tom Sawyer. Gimme a break!  That song wasnt necasarilly written with that in mind.

mapexdrummer1234

GeddyE

I've got my R30 4 disc set pre-ordered. A birthday gift to myself!

Peart's new instructional dvd "Anatomy of a drum solo" goes on sale December 15th, and I'm looking at getting that too.

RUSH Rules!

Ged

Rhyvven

I really shouldn't bother with this  ;), but Danno - you can start "turning back on" to Rush if your sole reason was Geddy's lyrics to Tom Sawyer....because....Geddy did not write the lyrics.  ::)  Mr. Peart writes 99% of the lyrics for the band. Further, Neil did not write the lyrics to Tom Sawyer. A gentleman named Pye Dubois (sp.?) wrote most if not all the lyrics for that song.

DougB

In addition to the amazing Neil Peart, it is incredible how much sound three guys can put out!  How many three-piece bands are there these days?  Not too many!

I have Rush in Rio and have watched it umpteen times.  I can't wait to get their next DVD.

DougB

Quote from: Rhyvven on November 07, 2005, 08:29 AM
I really shouldn't bother with this  ;), but Danno - you can start "turning back on" to Rush if your sole reason was Geddy's lyrics to Tom Sawyer....because....Geddy did not write the lyrics.  ::)  Mr. Peart writes 99% of the lyrics for the band. Further, Neil did not write the lyrics to Tom Sawyer. A gentleman named Pye Dubois (sp.?) wrote most if not all the lyrics for that song.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3105&

The lyrics are loosely based on a character Mark Twain created in his first novel, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The book was published 1876.

In Twain's book, Tom finds his way into different sorts of adventurous mishaps. Throughout the novel, Tom matures and experiences many rites of passage. Due to cultural and social changes, some public school copies have been edited, removing certain parts that were deemed offensive.

Pye Dubois, who is the lyricist for the band Max Webster, collaborated on this song as well as "Force Ten" and "Between Sun And Moon." This song began life as a Max Webster song titled "Louis The Warrior."

In the December 1985 Rush Backstage Club newsletter, drummer and lyricist Neil Peart said: "Tom Sawyer was a collaboration between myself and Pye Dubois, an excellent lyricist who wrote the lyrics for Max Webster. His original lyrics were kind of a portrait of a modern day rebel, a free-spirited individualist striding through the world wide-eyed and purposeful. I added the themes of reconciling the boy and man in myself, and the difference between what people are and what others perceive them to be - namely me I guess."  

During the first instrumental section of this song, the time signature changes to 7/8. The unusual choice in time signature is consistent with other songs by Rush, such as "Limelight," "The Trees," "Distant Early Warning," and "Freewill," among others.

This song was used in an episode of Cartoon Network's Futurama when Fry (the main character) plays a video game while listening to his "All Rush Mixtape."

The song is on the movie Waterboy during the final game.

moxman

QuoteI have Rush in Rio and have watched it umpteen times.

I like the 'special features' section that highlights Neils drum solo with the multi angle view. For those that haven't seen it, it divides the screen into a main view with several thumbnail 'views' at the bottom of the screen. You can choose which view you want at any time by clicking the thumbnail. very cool!

DougB

Quote from: Rimshot_Splash on November 07, 2005, 02:58 PM
I like the 'special features' section that highlights Neils drum solo with the multi angle view. For those that haven't seen it, it divides the screen into a main view with several thumbnail 'views' at the bottom of the screen. You can choose which view you want at any time by clicking the thumbnail. very cool!

oh yeah baby!!   :D

smoggrocks

Quote from: Rimshot_Splash on November 05, 2005, 01:27 PM
Geddy's voice - I think of it as Robert Plant on helium...

oh, MAN! that is hilarious

very fitting description.

you know -- whatever your feelings toward the band [and i am also one who favors anything pre-80s], it is lovely seeing such a wide cross-section of rush fans, age-wise. it speaks volumes about rush's ability to connect with different generations.

i have the utmost respect for those fellows!

Scheming Demon

Look at my screen name, need I say anymore?

Ringo got me started (talk about old!).  Neil was life changing.  I play in a Rush Tribute because I love their music so much.  Neil has been by far the biggest drumming influence on me.

Jay Northrop

QuoteDanno :: But to me, his drumming sounds mechanical. I like nuance, even if it's not earth-shatteringly fast or complicated.

I can see why you would say this. Neil is very precise in his playing. But thats one of the things that makes him Neil Peart and one of the greats. The fact that after playing Tom Sawyer ( insert any other rush song ) hundreds of times over and yet its still excat to the recording with no improve of even so much as a cymbal hit is amazing. I get the songs down but I always change up cymbals etc.... If he can memorize right down to cymbals and everything....thats amazing.And yes Rush's first album was a great rock album. Great songs just great. But Rush is a great band because unlike most every band out there every cd is different Not just song wise but band wise. In the early 70's they were plain old rock. By the late 70's there were a mega power house Prog band. In the early - mid 80's they were prog / pop. Songs like Big Money,Subdivions....very mian stream and catchy. Then 1989's release of Presto saw yet another change in the band. The 90's Rush...different style You had the mainstream,with out as much pop,but still with prog. Then you have Vapor Trails. Neils entire life ordeal spewed onto one cd....and heres the catch...for the first time ever by Rush...NO KEYBOARDS!!!! ( lol ). I mean any band that A - has had pretty much the same 3 members for 30 years,is from Canada,Always sells out,and has influenced ( too high to count here ) musicians is just amazing. Rush is definatly one band that will always be one of the greats. Like em,hate em,love em....Great band.

LT500man

I too have been a RUSH fan since the first album... but I felt they got better and better with each album. In the nineties their music started to just sound the same with different lyrics... but I have always loved to listen to them and will always have them right at the top of my all time favorite bands.

felix

Hemispheres with the headphones on- then it was moving pictures, then I started diving into the "post halcion" Rush.  I could play some of the songs pretty well, but some of them I just couldn't "get".  One of these days I wouldn't mind going back to try to learn a few of their songs again.  My original band was supposed to cover "LaVilla Stangiato" and I have the drum transcription for it.  

You have to admit, that is the cool thing about Neil.  He really is an incredibly "accessable" artist.  His style translates so well to the masses- including drummers.  It's a beautiful thing!

Neil is just an incredible artist.  We can only dream of that kind of success an notoriety.