• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm not British

Started by Matt Self (Gaddabout), April 30, 2007, 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoacristo

Quote from: George on May 02, 2007, 03:10 PM
No, it's only the Chinese that speak English well - they understand everything fine in pidgin English... We must stick to our British/American/European English, and try to figure out what the other wants to say if he lives at a distance more than 50 kilometres from where we live.

What? How far is that?  ;)

George

Quote from: amoacristo on May 02, 2007, 03:23 PM
What? How far is that?  ;)

What is how far?  :)

We all live at quite a distance from one another, so everything is very far, isn't it.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: drumwild on May 02, 2007, 02:54 PM
I understand the "Gadd" part of your screen name, but not certain about the meaning of the "about" part.

gad·a·bout (gād'ə-bout') n. One who roams or roves about, as in search of amusement or social activity.

One of my all time favorite words and a very good description of me, the word was mingled with  http://cgi.ebay.com/GADDABOUT-GADD-STEVE-CD-NEW-SEALED-GADD-STEVE_W0QQitemZ160104830024QQihZ006QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem]this imported CD title first released on tape during my formative school boy years  ...

When it came time to create my very first AOL moniker in 1994, I did not want to be mself19048. I am a gadabout that likes Steve Gadd: I am Gaddabout.

And I have been Gaddabout for over 13 years now. I'd be happy to go by my real name these days as anonymity rightfully turns some people off, but so many people around the world know me as Gaddabout ... if I ever became a player, I'd almost have to adopt it as a stage name ... like Zoro. Only I'd drop the second "d" because I'm not as foolish as I often appear.

Chris Whitten

My take was:
Gadd about sums up the drummer I want to be.

or

I'm mad about Gadd about.  ::) :-X

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Chris Whitten on May 02, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm mad about Gadd about.
Gadd about sums up the drummer I want to be.

These two lines put together have a Steven Sondheim feel to them. They could possibly be the early beginnings of ...

STEVE GADD: THE MUSICAL!

The lights dim, the curtain opens, and a single man in a black t-shirt, black jeans, and black shoes strolls to center stage. Cue music to I'm Mad About Gadd About:

He lightens my sadness
He lightens my days
His drums burst with a kind of madness
My well-ordered ways
He's the Rhythm King of Rochester
With a snare pop like a Winchester
More soul than you'd expect from a white guy
There's no drummer who is betterrrrrrrrr ...

The single man is now joined by 40 girls in black-on-black sequined dresses in a kick line. They all sing:

I'm mad about Gadd about
Gadd about sums up the drummer I want to be
I'm mad about Gadd about
He makes the whole world groovy!

Todd Norris

Quote from: Gaddabout on May 02, 2007, 06:22 PM
These two lines put together have a Steven Sondheim feel to them. They could possibly be the early beginnings of ...

STEVE GADD: THE MUSICAL!

The lights dim, the curtain opens, and a single man in a black t-shirt, black jeans, and black shoes strolls to center stage. Cue music to I'm Mad About Gadd About:

He lightens my sadness
He lightens my days
His drums burst with a kind of madness
My well-ordered ways
He's the Rhythm King of Rochester
With a snare pop like a Winchester
More soul than you'd expect from a white guy
There's no drummer who is betterrrrrrrrr ...

The single man is now joined by 40 girls in black-on-black sequined dresses in a kick line. They all sing:

I'm mad about Gadd about
Gadd about sums up the drummer I want to be
I'm mad about Gadd about
He makes the whole world groovy!

OMIGOSH Gaddy, you never cease to amaze me...

Chris Whitten

I appear stage left in a (Remo) pinstripe suit.

"I'll never be like Gadd.
It's a reality about which I'm quite sad.
He's 50 ways to play every groove.
Never fails to make my earth move.
He's the greatest, they all say, from New York to Baghdad.
As Jacko once sang......Steve's BAAAD."

amoacristo

Quote from: George on May 02, 2007, 04:10 PM
What is how far?  :)

We all live at quite a distance from one another, so everything is very far, isn't it.

I was making a lame joke at you using kilometers since we in America are not clever enough to use metric measurements, though I think we should.

George

Quote from: amoacristo on May 02, 2007, 06:59 PM
I was making a lame joke at you using kilometers since we in America are not clever enough to use metric measurements, though I think we should.

No, you shouldn't, a mile is a nicer distance. I said kilometre just to make it funnier for you. Maybe a sea mile would have been the proper term, considering how we all sail around these topics all the time.  ;)

Robyn

Good point Beach Boy--those Brits always switch their "r"s and "e"s, and substitute "s" for "z" all the time. Nevre ceases to amase me.

I like this thread. It's nice to be silly once in a while.

I'll volunteer me an' smoggy for the black-sequined kick-line, altho it might be a bit scary... :o

robyn

Stewart Manley

Quote from: robyn on May 02, 2007, 11:06 PM...those Brits always switch their "r"s and "e"s, and substitute "s" for "z" all the time.

Actually, you can blame that on the French.