• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: junglelord on February 07, 2006, 07:53 AM
now is he exciting to watch?
NO.

Actually, I find him quite exciting in contrast, since he's about the only one who stays as motionless andââ,¬"well, relaxed.  I think it must take a LOT of relaxing to be able to look as stiff.  I think Louis hit upon something.

Quote from: styles2281 on February 07, 2006, 10:09 AM
You mean the kind that people look at and say,"That's disgusting!!!"

(in reference to Mick Jaggar's "dancing" moves while singing)

I will turn my deaf ear toward those people, or otherwise ignore them (pending the intact nature of my hearing at that age), and hope they learn better.  Basically, I'll be a male "Red Hatter", though not with all of the clothing and (so much) tea.  I will have to think of an analogue.

BTW, I love the irony of your avatar-caption

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on February 07, 2006, 10:54 AM
OK, so the crowd of people on the field near the stage for the Stones show - I'm assuming they were hand-picked, invited, contest winners, something like that.  They all seemed to be overacting just a tad.

People are usually rented (in a volunteer sort-of-way) for such events, to ensure the reactions you saw right on camera.  Though, I daresay very few of those reactions were forced. :)

speedking

Louie Bellson once told me "Id give my left arm to be ambidextrous!!!!"

Ryan

I love the Drummer Cafe.

I hate Kevin Costner...

but I love the Drummer Cafe.

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2006, 11:10 AM

BTW, I love the irony of your avatar-caption

forgive my ignorance, but what "irony?"

speedking

Ranman, thanks that was the first good hard laugh of the day for me.

mapexdrummer1234

I agree with Bart completely. Charlie Watts is... Charlie Watts. I'm sure some things I do in playing would bother some of you.

Rylie

I know this might be considered blasphemous to all of the Stones worshippers, but I stopped being a Stones fan of any sort the day I heard the Steel Wheels album. I have never stopped being a Charlie Watts fan though. He is the definition of confidence behind a drum set - second nature. What some have described as "stiff", I see as absorbed.

Their latest album gives me hope though, but I have to admit that I do get embarrassed watching Mick trying to maintain a white knuckle grip on hipness.

I saw them live in '70 and 72, and at the time I ptretended (admittedly out of teenage peer pressure I guess) to love their show. Honestly, in my opinion, they suck live. Charlie is unmatched when it comes to accurate timing and creating a groove, but the rest of the band is too busy trying to live up to a reputation on stage to worry about what they sound like.

I still love and listen to Sticky Fingers, Let it bleed, get yer yayas out, etc., and always will, but I can't watch them live without being embarrassed for Mick and Keith.

William Leslie

Are you sure it isn't Charlies age and the fact that he is still on top of his game that bothers you. I think most drummers would like to be in that position when they reach that age. Most don't even reach that point at any age, not to mention staying in that position all those years. Charlie has always been a little stiff, as was mentioned earlier, and for his style of playing, well it got hime where he is so why change now? Ringo is one who slams the hat and snare together. Watts is a different drummer and his own person.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Terry on February 07, 2006, 07:43 PM
Are you sure it isn't Charlies age and the fact that he is still on top of his game that bothers you. I think most drummers would like to be in that position when they reach that age. Most don't even reach that point at any age, not to mention staying in that position all those years. Charlie has always been a little stiff, as was mentioned earlier, and for his style of playing, well it got hime where he is so why change now? Ringo is one who slams the hat and snare together. Watts is a different drummer and his own person.

So Charlie doesn't hit the snare and the hats at the same time.  So what?  Who wants to tell him he's doing it wrong?  Bueler?  Bueler?  Anyone?  Bueler?

Kelly Minnis

The snare/hat thing....

I just recently watched both Gimme Shelter and Rock & Roll Circus and Charlie's leaving the hi-hat out on two and four wasn't always his style.  I'm not sure exactly when he switched.  I can say it started sometime between Altamont and the Steel Wheel tour's pay-per-view show that I saw in 1990.

phantompong

Quote from: styles2281 on February 07, 2006, 02:27 PM
forgive my ignorance, but what "irony?"

Completely, absolutely off-topic: Hello Styles! Nice to see a fellow ex-drumdog.

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: phantompong on February 08, 2006, 07:35 AM
Completely, absolutely off-topic: Hello Styles! Nice to see a fellow ex-drumdog.

There are no "Ex-Drumdogs" only Recovering ones.   ;D  I've almost got Bytor to sign up too, but I haven't seen him around.  I'll have to push harder.

Sorry, >thread un-hijacked.

Mark Counts

I think Charlie Watts, just Like Ringo with the Beatles was just what the Stones needed.  You all talk about old stiff drummers.
I am sitting here watching Ginger Baker play like a teen ager on this 2005 Cream DVD. If I am that loose when I am his age I will be a happy camper.  How can anyone really talk completely negative about any of these drummers that have made it big and stood the test of time?
                                  Nutty

Joe

Quote from: drumnut1 on February 09, 2006, 02:45 PM
I am sitting here watching Ginger Baker play like a teen ager on this 2005 Cream DVD. If I am that loose when I am his age I will be a happy camper.  How can anyone really talk completely negative about any of these drummers that have made it big and stood the test of time?

Yes, I think he was in top form on Cream's live TV performance of "Strange Brew".

iad123

Charlie Watts bothers me too!!  I have been watching him for 30 years and everytime I see him play, I feel like I'm watching a beginner.  He's stiff.  Whenever he crashes a cymbal, he seems so unsure of himself.  He certainly doesn't play with any kind of authority.  I can't imagine any other band hiring him.  If they did it would be soley for name recognition and not playing ability.

DrummerMom

Charlie is 65 years old.  I hope to still be playing drums when I'm 65! (31 years from now).

Jon E

QuoteCharlie Watts bothers me too!!  I have been watching him for 30 years

Charlie has asked me to ask you to stop watching him.  8)

SlimChance

Charlie Watts is, far and away, my favorite rock'n'roll drummer and biggest influence.  The guy is amazing.

Now, it's Bonham I just don't get....
(ducks, runs...)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Jon E on February 21, 2006, 07:54 AM
Charlie has asked me to ask you to stop watching him.  8)
It really bothers me that Charlie asked you that.