• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPYYZ

Quote from: speedking on February 06, 2006, 11:48 AM
he was the same! go to drummerworld.com click on video at the top of the page than find charlie's pic you can watch many great drummers play.Keith Moon was another guy who was strange to watch.

Yeah but Keith Moon was a good drummer, Charlie Watts is not.

Ryan Culberson

Quote from: NPYYZ on March 13, 2006, 07:40 PM

I'm curious to know your criteria/rationale used to arrive at this conclusion!  ::)

Please, do explain...

hankster

i have always enjoyed  charlie's  drumming.  he doesn't have a huge set but has enough for his needs. he is as solid as they come.

Dave Heim

Somebody better give Charlie a call and let him know so he can stop being successful.

Ranman

Uh huh..... then why does he have you beat?  8)

...and just to be clear, saying Charlie Watts is not a good drummer doesn't make you a better one. It makes you a worst one, because, its not how you should go about improving. Not to mention "I think" its very uncool on a drummer forum. Would you say it to his face? Its very very poor community. ...and even, though I dout you can or even will try to backup your words, what if your were better...I mean what your point?

There will always (in some aspects) be someone better and worst.

Charlie if your out there I got your back man! It gives me satisfaction.

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Ryno on March 13, 2006, 07:58 PM
QuoteYeah but Keith Moon was a good drummer, Charlie Watts is not.
I'm curious to know your criteria/rationale used to arrive at this conclusion!  ::)

Please, do explain...
What, you don't know about the Drummer Ranking System (DRS)?  It's a completely objective evaluation methodology that anyone can use with absolute 100% accuracy.  Heck, even snot-bubble kids that know everything about drums can use it with total confidence.

Shock and awe your friends, neighbors, family and other drummers with your inarguable knowledge of who exactly is a great drummer and who's mediocre.  The questions in the DRS were painstakingly created to ensure that subjectivity was taken out of the equation.  The results of each evaluation will assign a ranking number for all drummers evaluated.  It's that easy!   ;D

Mister Acrolite

I don't know - the fact that somebody can play such basic beats with a simple style and still be utterly and instantly recognizable among a sea of rock drummers suggests that maybe he's doing something kinda good.   ::)

Oh, and the fact that he's been a primary influence on other major drummers like Jeff Porcaro and Steve Jordan.  

But feel free to disagree. Me, I'd happily join any club of not-good drummers that Charlie's a member of.

NPYYZ

Quote from: Ranman on March 13, 2006, 10:32 PM
Uh huh..... then why does he have you beat?  8)

...and just to be clear, saying Charlie Watts is not a good drummer doesn't make you a better one. It makes you a worst one, because, its not how you should go about improving. Not to mention "I think" its very uncool on a drummer forum. Would you say it to his face? Its very very poor community. ...and even, though I dout you can or even will try to backup your words, what if your were better...I mean what your point?

There will always (in some aspects) be someone better and worst.

Charlie if your out there I got your back man! It gives me satisfaction.

Hey I'm not looking for an arguement but I will backup my words.

The only way Charlie Watts "has me beat" is financially. I did not say he was not good in hopes of it making me better.  Also what I say does not affect my drumming ability in any way. I've heard the man play, yes he can lay down a basic rock beat with the best of them but that doesn't mean just because he plays drums for the Stones I have to worship the ground he walks on.  Some of the live stuff I've heard his tempo is all over the place. Personally I think the guy is lame. Sorry but he does not impress me at all.

Would I say it to his face you ask, sure, what's he going to do, beat me up?  Do you really think he gives a $hit if some no name drummer thinks he sucks? In the drumming world I'm the $hit on his toilet paper, and what I think of his drumming would mean absolutely nothing to him.

It's all a matter of opinion and yes opinions are like a$$holes, everyoneââ,¬â,,¢s got one and they all stink.

Ok wrong choice of words, Iââ,¬â,,¢m sorry some feathers got ruffled.   If by "good" you mean he can play the most basic rock beats and simplistic fills then ok he's good.  In my 30 years of listening to him play, I've never heard him play anything that I could not play 3 years in to my drumming career. I never heard a Stones tune and said, wow nice drum part I have to learn that.  Keith Moon on the other hand presents many more challenges.

Charlie Watts is one of the most basic and boring drummers I've ever heard but his drumming fits the band he is in. Who knows, maybe he can play like a monster and just doesn't show it, ever. What I've seen and heard from him has never and will never impress me.

Yeah he's successful but he is also lucky that he and he pals formed a band back in the 60's when rock n roll was just taking off and it launched them into legend status almost overnight. Let's be honest here, if Charlie Watts was in any other run of the mill band none of you guys would even know who he is.

I understand that some drummers like Charlie and I have no problem with that. We all have our different styles and we all know what we like and what we feel is good. For me the very simple style of his playing just doesn't do it for me. I know what it's like to have one of your favorite drummers slammed. One of mine, Neil Peart gets slammed all the time, but I don't let it bother me.

EDIT: Just to add, I think Ringo is an excellent drummer.

NPYYZ

Quote from: speedking on February 06, 2006, 11:20 AM
Yea I had a good laugh watching them geezers play last night. just wondering have any of you heard Charlie's big band?He's sounds like a totaly different drummer.

I will have to check this out, maybe I'll find after listing to it that my foot is in my mouth. We'll see.

NPYYZ

Well I just listened to a few tracks from Charlie Watts "long ago and far away" It the only Album available on RR raphsody. There was barely any drumming on the tunes I listened to, all were slow old ballads. I'll keep checking , they are always adding new albums. Not being a fan of his I can't see spending money on one of his albums and I refuse to use free file sharing programs. I believe the musicians should be compensated for their work. That's why I pay $10.00 a month to use RR Raphsody.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 14, 2006, 06:53 AMMe, I'd happily join any club of not-good drummers that Charlie's a member of.

Yep, I wish I was not as good as Charlie myself!   ;D

Ranman

Quote from: NPYYZ on March 14, 2006, 06:56 AM

The only way Charlie Watts "has me beat" is financially. I did not say he was not good in hopes of it making me better.  Also what I say does not affect my drumming ability in any way. I've heard the man play, yes he can lay down a basic rock beat with the best of them but that doesn't mean just because he plays drums for the Stones I have to worship the ground he walks on.  Some of the live stuff I've heard his tempo is all over the place. Personally I think the guy is lame. Sorry but he does not impress me at all.

Would I say it to his face you ask, sure, what's he going to do, beat me up?  Do you really think he gives a $hit if some no name drummer thinks he sucks? In the drumming world I'm the $hit on his toilet paper, and what I think of his drumming would mean absolutely nothing to him.

It's all a matter of opinion and yes opinions are like a$$holes, everyoneââ,¬â,,¢s got one and they all stink.

Ok wrong choice of words, Iââ,¬â,,¢m sorry some feathers got ruffled.   If by "good" you mean he can play the most basic rock beats and simplistic fills then ok he's good.  In my 30 years of listening to him play, I've never heard him play anything that I could not play 3 years in to my drumming career. I never heard a Stones tune and said, wow nice drum part I have to learn that.  Keith Moon on the other hand presents many more challenges.

Charlie Watts is one of the most basic and boring drummers I've ever heard but his drumming fits the band he is in. Who knows, maybe he can play like a monster and just doesn't show it, ever. What I've seen and heard from him has never and will never impress me.

Yeah he's successful but he is also lucky that he and he pals formed a band back in the 60's when rock n roll was just taking off and it launched them into legend status almost overnight. Let's be honest here, if Charlie Watts was in any other run of the mill band none of you guys would even know who he is.

I understand that some drummers like Charlie and I have no problem with that. We all have our different styles and we all know what we like and what we feel is good. For me the very simple style of his playing just doesn't do it for me. I know what it's like to have one of your favorite drummers slammed. One of mine, Neil Peart gets slammed all the time, but I don't let it bother me.

EDIT: Just to add, I think Ringo is an excellent drummer.

So what is it that your better at doing than Charlie? Playing like a clock? Because I rather listen to drummmer in a bar that has no tempo and even rushes though tom rolls than a metronome with hands that thinks he sounds good.

Just to add, I think Ringo is an excellent drummer also  ;D He is the elusive definitive example of gifted time keeping.

NPYYZ

Where did I say that I was better at anything then Charlie Watts?  All I said was "Keith Moon was a good Drummer, Charlie Watts is not."

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: NPYYZ on March 14, 2006, 09:51 AM
Where did I say that I was better at anything then Charlie Watts?  All I said was "Keith Moon was a good Drummer, Charlie Watts is not."

I'd have been happy to be the guy who played on Honky Tonk Women, Paint It Black, Street Fighting Man, Satisfaction, and Start Me Up.

That all sounded like pretty good drumming to me - I don't think I could have made those records sound better.

NPYYZ

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 14, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'd have been happy to be the guy who played on Honky Tonk Women, Paint It Black, Street Fighting Man, Satisfaction, and Start Me Up.

That all sounded like pretty good drumming to me - I don't think I could have made those records sound better.

Ok let me say this, Saying Charlie Watts is not good was a poor choice of words. Let me rephrase that and just say I was never really impressed with Mr. Watts playing. Obiviously to have the career he has had he must be good.  I don't think there is a drummer alive that would not want to have been the drummer who played those tunes. All great songs, just not what I'm looking for when I want to hear great drumming.

Another band that comes to mind , AC/DC  love the band but again the drummer does nothing for me. Who wouldn't kill for that gig?

felix

Quote from: felix on February 06, 2006, 01:11 PM
It took me almost 25  years to appreciate his playing and how GREAT of a drummer he is.  I only wish my meter was that great.  Charlie is a groove meister.

Maybe some day you will get it, maybe you won't... no biggie to me.

This was a bad post by me.  I retract it.

Stones tunes are like any sort of work of art.  You can live your whole life and hate Charlie and the Stones... it's your perogative and right.  I personally can't bear to listen to Dream Theater- I think for the most part they sound terrible as a band even though they are all great players.  Maybe some day I will appreciate them more, maybe not.  

Not every band is going to "strike a chord" within everyone (well maybe Barry Manilow  ;D) but you know what I mean.  Hey, I can see why Charlie would bother other drummers- the guy is tremendously successful, doesn't play a lick and crashes a single Paiste Rude just to rub it in!  I can see why it's slightly annoying (totally Rolling Stones.) all the more beautiful.  The Rolling Stones for me are a source of hope and inspiration.

Provacative thread though.

DougB

I've just never been a real big Stones fan, so I can take him or leave him.  I've listened to some of their live stuff, and I was not impressed with the way the band plays in concert.  Others swear by their concerts.  So it's all a matter of opinion.  And I doubt Charlie cares one bit whether we think he's good or not.

BTW - regarding Ringo - I sat down and tried playing along to the Beatles 1 CD.  No one can ever convince me that Beatle's songs all sound the same or have the same beat.  Try playing along to some of their songs and you'll see how complex some of the beats were.

Tony

Quote from: NPYYZ on March 14, 2006, 06:56 AM

The only way Charlie Watts "has me beat" is financially.

You think that's the only way he has you beat?  Man, I wish I had your skills and confidence, I'd be unstoppable.

Liking Charlie Watts is a perogative.  To condem his accomplishments, along with the Stones, is just plain ignorant.  The Stones are a rock and roll institution.  To spend 35+ years making successful music that sells millions around the world takes more than a little luck.  

I'm appalled at the closeminded attitudes of people like you.  You give musicians a bad rap.  It's not a contest.  If it was, I'm sure Charlie Watts would be right at the top, regardless his simplistic beats.

As for Phil Rudd (AC/DC) again, if you can't appreciate how difficult it is to play staright ahead rock and roll in the setting he's in, then you just don't get it.

Felix - I told this guy last night that the reason I can't listen to a lot of Dream Theater is because it has no soul.  I recognize their abilities, but their music just sounds like emotionless mechanics, with odd time thrown in because it's expected, you know what I mean?

NPYYZ

Quote from: Tony on March 14, 2006, 11:18 AM
You think that's the only way he has you beat?  Man, I wish I had your skills and confidence, I'd be unstoppable.

Liking Charlie Watts is a perogative.  To condem his accomplishments, along with the Stones, is just plain ignorant.  The Stones are a rock and roll institution.  To spend 35+ years making successful music that sells millions around the world takes more than a little luck.  

I'm appalled at the closeminded attitudes of people like you.  You give musicians a bad rap.  It's not a contest.  If it was, I'm sure Charlie Watts would be right at the top, regardless his simplistic beats.

As for Phil Rudd (AC/DC) again, if you can't appreciate how difficult it is to play staright ahead rock and roll in the setting he's in, then you just don't get it.

Felix - I told this guy last night that the reason I can't listen to a lot of Dream Theater is because it has no soul.  I recognize their abilities, but their music just sounds like emotionless mechanics, with odd time thrown in because it's expected, you know what I mean?

Ok this is my lat post on this subject. this will go on forever if we let it.  As far as I'm concerned there is not a real lot of skill involved in playing a Rolling Stones song. I'm sorry , I've been playing Drums for 27 years and it offers me no challenge at all. I'm not condeming Watts or the stones by the way. I don't know where you got that from.

I don't care how long the Stones have been around that does not make the master musicians in my mind. Areosmith has been around for  years also and they don't float my boat either. I stand by my statement that if Charlie Watts was playing Drums in some run of the mill band we would not even know who he is.

I don't consider myself closeminded, I just know what I like and what I listen to for inspiration, Charlie ain't it, plain and simple.

I do appreciate the fantastic job that Phil Rudd and other drummers have done with AC/DC, but to me there is nothing difficult about it. I hate to keep apologizing but it is just not hard for me to play Stones or AC/DC tunes. I've played several of both in the many bands I've been in over the years, they were enjoyable to play, the crowds loved them, but it didin't offer my any challenge when I learnd them. When it comes to drummers that I want to hear for inspiration and to further my skills they are not who I listen to.

Dream Theater has no soul , it's emotionless mechanics ?  Listen to" the answer lies within" "sacraficed sons"  "The silient man" "another day"  "though her eyes"  " I walk beside you" "hollow years" that should give you a start.

And that will be my final word on the matter....Good Night Now.

Louis Russell

Quote from: NPYYZ on March 14, 2006, 01:08 PMthey were enjoyable to play, the crowds loved them, but it didin't offer my any challenge

Since when is music required to be a challenge?  If it is fun to play and the crowds love it thats more than enough for me.   8)