• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Least favorite drummers

Started by drumsensae, February 21, 2004, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayjayselmes

Everyone here says Lars ulrich.

I went with a friend to the metallica concert at the sydney entertainment centre in sydney Australia on the 21st Janurary 2004.

I got the free ticket so i wasnt complainig i didnt really listen to them much but I must say this guy is unbelieveable period!!!!

Have you seen this guy live its like he is a human metronome.

And his stage presence is awesome he is always up off the kit runnin g around and i must say i was really impressed seing i never had really listened to metallica before that much.

Again this guy brings it all to the table. and is not afraid to ay what he thinks and that my friens is pure honesty. He says what he thinks if you dont like it dont listen to them.

But he has a HUGE following of fans so he must be doing something right.!

Again i never really listened to them but i was but 20 foot from the stage had a free ticket what could i lose??

The guys of metallica blew me away im a new fan big time.

thanks

jace

bennyleb

Quote from: redchapterjubilee on February 21, 2004, 08:46 PMHe's the only guy I can think of off the top of m head that felt like a weak link in an otherwise great band.

Another one is Jack Irons when he was in Pearl Jam. Very boring drumming IMHO...

dogxray

QuoteI used to not care for Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots) but have since come around to his style

I know what you mean. They play as a band not anyone musician stands out. I never really paid much attention to Kretz until I started to learn there songs(up to 10 now). Then I realized what I had never really heard before.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: chrisso on February 22, 2004, 03:01 AMGoing back to the 'I don't listen to drummers I don't like' comment which seems to be gaining support....

Not what I said ... What I said was:

QuoteIf they are "worst" Im not listening to them enough to remember who the heck they even are.  

Which is different.

Just wanted to clarify.

Chris Whitten

OK, I misread/mis-remembered what you said.
::)

drumsensae

I never said worst, I said least favorite :o

SteveR

Quote from: Ben on February 22, 2004, 06:11 AM
Another one is Jack Irons when he was in Pearl Jam. Very boring drumming IMHO...

Is that the guy in the Evenflow video?  That guy bugs me.  He totally over does the crashes.  He plays a crash 4 or 5 times a measure.

Another one is the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish.  His technique is painful to watch.

physast

Bad drummers?.....  I can't think of any off hand except myself..  never really heard a drummer that really just sucked and couldn't play.

Not my taste drummers?.....  that's a hard one too...  I usually dig the drum tracks of most bands and songs I listen too..

Personal issues with drummers.....  Lars (at one time I liked him then I started to listen to him talk and play drums all down hill from there....)  

hippie

Quote from: drumsensae on February 22, 2004, 11:08 AM
I never said worst, I said least favorite :o

That's right. Too many people are interpreting it has, "Who's the worst drummer?". That's not what the original question was. It "Who's your least favorite?". And anyone who says that you can't have a least favorite drummer and that you have to respect them all is just being ridiculous. It's personal taste and preference, period.

Hippie out...........

drwalker

smoggrocks

what?  negativity at play here?

count me in!  ;D

i'm too sucky as a drummer to have a real opinion, but i admit... i don't like the white stripes drummer, either [wait... white stripes is the brother-sistah duo, right? the ones that sound like the beatles on speed?]

i know it's just coz i'm jealous of her success, but honestly -- there are soooo many other great chick players out there... why put the spotlight on her? sometimes it's kind of embarassing to have the bar so low, coz then it gets people going off on that 'yeah, she's pretty good for a girl' schtick.

there's nothing wrong with her playing, really -- i mean, the timing's tight, even though the playing's simple, but i really don't understand what all the hype is about with this band.

i'm also so-so on portnoy, maybe because i was forced to sit about 2 feet in front of his kit [with no earplugs] at a sam ash clinic. my main issue with him is dynamics. he plays full-out, at one dynamic level, which is... REALLY EFFIN' LOUD!!

i will stop my list there, coz one day my band might actually make it, and i'd hate to be on the receiving end of this post.

:-X

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Ben on February 22, 2004, 06:11 AM
That reminds me of Kenny Jones with The Who.  

smoggrocks

Quote from: SteveR on February 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
Another one is the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish.  His technique is painful to watch.

oh, man -- is that the smallish guy with the pixie-ish face? i caught an interview with him on some video-- i think the dw promo video. for the whole interview, he stood there poised and with sticks in hand, and he seemed so knowledgeable. then they cut to a few seconds of him playing and i was really confused, coz he wasn't really playing anything coherent, just slapping out a few notes and crashes here and there. i couldn't tell if it was a pre-sound check thing or what, but it left me utterly confused and wondering what kind of drummer he was.

Hobo

You guys say that a "bad" or a "good" drummer is all in perspective, and according to taste, but one you cannot find anything good about is Meg White.  She is the most talentless, worthless piece of poop ever to sit behind a drumset.  I feel dirty every time I hear her music. Worst drummer ever!

ayottedrums

Mike Portnoy, and Lars Ulrich.

Portnoy: Good Theory, technique. Very VERY poor 'feel'

I know ill get flamed for this.  :-X

Ulrich: Boring

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: Hobo on February 23, 2004, 08:38 PMYou guys say that a "bad" or a "good" drummer is all in perspective, and according to taste, but one you cannot find anything good about is Meg White.  She is the most talentless, worthless piece of poop ever to sit behind a drumset.  I feel dirty every time I hear her music. Worst drummer ever!

Wrong.   I can find something good about Meg White's drumming.   I enjoy it.   And thats something.  

And heres something I was thinking about the other day.    The fact that so many drummers dislike White means that theyd play something different than she would.  Which in turn illustrates to me that she is somewhat of a unique player, has her own voice on the instrument.   Which is more than a lot of folks can say.   :)

But in the context of this thread, your post is valid.   She is obviously your "least favorite drummer".    Just dont try and pass off your opinion as fact and we wont either.

felix

I personally hate Lars Ulrich.  I'm not a big fan of Steve Gadd either.  I don't particularily care for Tony Williams, Nicko McBrain or Ricki Rocket and all those ultra fast light jazzers, including Peter Erskine and Steve Houghton (wimpy players).  Never really saw or heard what all the fuss was about Jeff Porcaro.  John Bonham pretty much couldn't keep time worth a hoot and Neil Peart can't swing his way out of a paper bag.  Mike Portnoy overplays and Virgil Donati's bands always sound nasty to me.  Marco Minneman and Thomas Lang- they just spazz on drums, no feel at all.  And Keith Moon, ACHT, the man couldn't even hit a drum half the time, let alone play it- PUKE.  Travis Barker is a poor example to all american youth with those nasty tattoos and plus he's always rushing.  Buddy Rich couldn't read music so that's a big strike against him.   Those are just the guys off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are a few more.

James Walker

Quote from: 563 on February 24, 2004, 10:00 AMAnd heres something I was thinking about the other day.    The fact that so many drummers dislike White means that theyd play something different than she would.  Which in turn illustrates to me that she is somewhat of a unique player, has her own voice on the instrument.   Which is more than a lot of folks can say.   :)

Wow...all I can say is, I admire your ability to find the good in things.

Seriously - that's a very healthy attitude to have.

drumsensae

I have to agree with Walker, for sure.  Sure White is not a technical drumming virtuoso, but I would say most of us probably arent either.  But she does have her own voice, exactly; that, to me is hard to do.  As for felix's post, WHAT?????  Funny.  Or at least I hope your kidding. :)

zrated bill

Lars Ulrich is not to high on my LIKE list but for reasons of his personality not so much his playing. I think he is a very creative drummer and a super hard hitter in the speed metal theme but dont find him to be dynamic or finessing, then when he opens his mouth w/attitude he is just a total turn off.
Now on the other hand I see many people dislike Mike Portnoy for many reasons, I happen to LIKE Mike a lot, I have never had the oppertunity to see him play live but I have seen many taped recording sessions of him and I think he is a very dynamic player and some of the back beats he comes up with are just incredible IMO. I would kill to have his double bass skills and his beat library he stores in that brain. I agree that he may Overplay at times (musicaly) but when your a drummer and want to see a drummer PLAY, he does it for me. Plus I think he has a great personality (again never met him in person) but from all the interviews and such I have seen on him he seems like a very nice guy and a decent teacher, which is half the battle for me to gain my respect ! I was surprised to see so many people mention him here for not being well liked, am I missing something about him?