• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Who are your favorite metal drummers

Started by incdrummer, May 05, 2004, 01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myownsummer

my old band vyserith had an awsome drummer... haha, www.vyserith.com if thats still up, i quit then the whole band fell apart. but now im in a new band with the other 2 original members that i started the band with.

I always thought frost was fast. and the guy from hate eternals really fast. trym is really fast, the dimmu borgir drummer cheats with his quad pedal. speed is a key part to metal drummers i think.

myownsummer

has anyone heard of cynic their drummer rules, he's playin metal and jazz so awsome.

EternalXos

Quote from: myownsummer on May 15, 2004, 07:55 PM
has anyone heard of cynic their drummer rules, he's playin metal and jazz so awsome.

Sean Reinert, former Death drummer. Amazing.

And where did you read that Nick Barker uses a quad pedal? I'm almost positive that you're extremely wrong.

Drummz

Quote from: incdrummer on May 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Is castronovo now with journey???

Yes Deen Castronovo has been with Journey for several years now, since about 1997. He is an awesome player and a very nice guy also. I met him at a clinic right before he and Neil Schon formed the band Hardline.

He has recorded these with Journey so far:
Armageddon Soundtrack
Arrival
Red 13
Journey 2001 DVD

Drummz

This list for me could be huge but here are a few in no particular order:

Nicko McBrain
Bobby Rondinelli
Frankie Banali
Glen Sobel
Ken Mary
Eric Singer
Bobby Jarzombeck
Shane Gaalaas
Deen Castronovo
Scott Travis
John Macaluso
James Kottak
Joe Franco
Vinnie Paul

myownsummer

Quote from: EternalXos on May 16, 2004, 01:55 AM
And where did you read that Nick Barker uses a quad pedal? I'm almost positive that you're extremely wrong.

seen it, but he's still an awsome drummer. the cradle of filth drummer uses one too.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: myownsummer on May 15, 2004, 07:53 PMthe dimmu borgir drummer cheats with his quad pedal.

There is no "cheating" ... There is getting the sound you want, and not getting the sound you want.   Its art, not sports.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Dead Trooper on May 14, 2004, 06:35 PM
Barlow played with Tull right? Around Aqualung I believe?
Clive Bunker's last album with Tull was Aqualung.  Barlow began playing with Tull on "Thick as a Brick".  The first time I saw Tull on the Aqualung tour (with an unknown band named "Yes" opening for them), Barlow was on drums so the drummer switch must have happened after Aqualung was recorded but before the tour started.  Barlow, IMHO, was the best Tull drummer and the material that Tull put out in that period (IMHO) was the best Tull material.

smoggrocks

Quote from: themudlark on May 17, 2004, 07:06 AM
Barlow, IMHO, was the best Tull drummer and the material that Tull put out in that period (IMHO) was the best Tull material.

i like that tull period a lot, too. pretty much the classic stuff.

"a" wasn't a bad album, even if was a little smoother and less conceptual [in terms of using most of the album to be 'conceptual]. i really like that tune 'black sunday.'

man, i can't even think of metal drummers, really. i was never a follower of metal in the sense of buying the albums. i just went to metal clubs to check out the guys and bang my head.  :D

i like the standard 'commercial' metal stuff like priest and accept and metallica, but then it went really dark and thrash and scary, and it didn't do it for me. i'm not into speed metal per se.

i did kind of like the drummer from that japanese metal band 'loudness,' but i don't even know his name.

circa 1979-1989, while a fun and wild period in my existence, has essentially been relegated to a part of my memory i'm no longer in touch with.

probably because it was a fun and wild existence. ;D

Dead Trooper

Quote from: smoggrocks on May 17, 2004, 07:19 AM
"a" wasn't a bad album, even if was a little smoother and less conceptual [in terms of using most of the album to be 'conceptual]. i really like that tune 'black sunday.'

I really like that song. I thought Mark Craney drummed on that one? He did on the tour. Another superb drummer.

Lecifer

My list

Sean Reinert - Cynic/Death/Aghora/Aeon Spoke
Bobby Jarzombek - Spastic Ink/Riot/Halford
Virgil Donati - Planet X
Richard Christy-  Death/Iced Earth/Control Denied
Steve Flynn - Atheist

Stitchz

Richard Christy - on "The Sound of Perseverance" album by Death.

To me, it's just amazing drumming. A very nice mix of metal/double bass speed and jazz feel.

Other drummers are Thomas Haake from Meshuggah and Nicholas ex Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth.

seakrieg

My favourites would have to be:
Nicko - Iron Maiden
Mikkey Dee - Motorhead
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Bill Ward - Black Sabbath

The list could go on and on but that'll do for starters.
Cheers

incdrummer

ill also add that a few of the scorpions drummers were ok

incdrummer

...and i do like danny carey also i have created a seperate list with your favs based on this list.

smoggrocks

Quote from: Dead Trooper on May 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
I really like that song. I thought Mark Craney drummed on that one? He did on the tour. Another superb drummer.

ya, it was craney. definitely a shocker when they brought in new blood, but he fit that album well.

btw, eddie jobsen, tull's keyboardist on 'A,' went on to record a solo album called, i think, zinc. he recorded it across the street from my mom's apartment. imagine my shock when i crossed the boulevard to buy cough medicine at the drugstore, and saw eddie jobsen standing there like a 'working joe.' blew my mind.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: smoggrocks on May 19, 2004, 03:35 PM
to buy cough medicine at the drugstore
Hmm, from another one of your posts, you better watch that cough medicine stuff.   :)

scsnare

Daniel Svensson-In Flames
Jordan Mancino-As I Lay Dying
Joey Jordison- Slipknot
????-poison the well (forgot his name...freaking good though)

finnomenon

guess i'm new to all this but i should say I like Lars, Protnoy(dream theatre) and robert sweet(stryper, king james). say, anyone got any king james music? cd's or tracks that i can download? i cant find king james online anywhere...

skullreaper

Dave Lambardo (Slayer)
Lars Ulrich (Metallica - PreBlack Album)
Snowy Shaw (King Diamond)
Igor Cavelara (Seplutura)
HellHammer (Mayhem)
Armagedda (Immortal)