• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Unapologetic, Over the Top Drumming Examples

Started by Christopher, June 09, 2004, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I thought it might be fun to post some examples of things from the extreme side of drumming.

From the land where the phrase "over playing" does not exist.

This is one of my all time favorites. I first heard it when I was 17 and it blew my away. Still does.

Its the legendary  http://www.simon-phillips.com/]Simon Phillips  playing on the classic, Space Boogie from Jeff Becks record, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000025EY/qid=1086807357/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/103-5738901-2720610?v=glance&s=music&n=507846]There and Back .

Hes all over the place on this one. I love it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chrisodonnell/spaceboogie.mp3]Space Boogie mp3

Have any you care to share?

DougB

The drums towards the end of Come Sail Away by Styx are not exactly "extreme" but somewhat on the wild side.  It's always been my favorite part of a Styx song.

Mister Acrolite

Space Boogie rocks - I've always loved that track!

I've got a bunch of my favorite over-the-topness  http://www.keithcronin.com/fromhell.html]HERE .

ritarocks

Almost every drummer on every Al DiMeola tune. 8)  <example: "Suite...">

Also, Richard Bailey on Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow"  gets pretty darn hot, too...especially on that end part teaser about halfway through the album where he just totally goes off.

SteveR

Pretty much any song by Dave Matthews Band.  ;D

Some people think Carter 'overplays' but I think his style fits Dave's music.  I can't imagine that band with any other drummer.

Mark Schlipper

Christian Vander and Magma.   Heavy Elvin Jones influence in a prog rock format.  Totally unrelenting sometimes.  Sorry I have no particular tracks right now, but there are so dang many moments youre likely to hit one in every song.

Christopher

LuvmyLeedy

best over the top drummer i have seen in recent memory was ian frohmann playing live with metalwood. i think he also instructs at berklee. fantastic off the cuff vituosity with a very keen musicality. very heavy.

man those drum sounds in space boogie are hilarious!

funny new sig mr. A :D

Stewart Manley

Quote from: Christopher on June 09, 2004, 01:05 PMIts the legendary Simon Phillips playing on the classic, Space Boogie from Jeff Becks record, There and Back.

Yaroo! Saw the man himself on that tour with Jeff Beck, Manchester Apollo. I needed gaffer tape to keep my jaw up. Should've added that to Smogg's "gigs that left you speechless" thread.

I remember an interview Beck gave back then. He said he was concerned about Phillips in the drum chair, because he thought he could only "overplay" (my phrasing, I can't remember a 30-year old interview verbatim, alas). "Then I heard him play The Pump and changed my mind."

Ah, me. Happy memories.

Anyway, my nomination for the evening is Weckl's Tiempo de Festival from the Live, and Very Plugged In CD.

smoggrocks

yeah, mr. a's got some great examples. i also nominate the tony williams lifetime album. 'fred' is beyond sick.

peter erskine's playing on that joe hender-son 'relaxin' at camarillo' album is great [forget the exact song title], and also pete's playing on 'heavy weather' by weather report.

there was also a totally unknown band called fathead suburbia whose drummer was beyond crazy. the stuff he pulled off was just nuts. the band would do their own little vamp, and he'd just let loose over it.

i also like tain watt's playing on branford marsalis's 'crazy people music,' kenny kirkland's solo album, also tain's own solo album.

and i was always impressed with just about anything neil peart did from the first album to moving pictures.

also, it's not on an album per se, but i'm still recovering from thomas lang's performance at the modern drummer festival last year or so.

JayB

Well, if some how Extreme can include busy....
I'm  a very busy drummer, and as such, my "busy drummer idols" would have to be:
Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix
BJ Wilson - Procol Harum (among others)
Keith Moon - The Who
And sometimes John Densmore of the doors could be quite busy

smoggrocks

Quote from: LuvmyLeedy on June 09, 2004, 02:25 PM

funny new sig mr. A :D

isn't it great? i crack up whenever i see it. mr. a is a funny dude. i also really liked his 'one man. one cowbell' period.

Mightydog

agogobil

Carl Palmer on Pictures At An Exhibition - pretty much throughout the whole thing, but on "The Hut of Baba Yaga" medley, the constant sixteenths around the kit really drive the music.

Clive Bunker on the first two Jethro Tull albums, This Was and Stand Up.  Nothing simple here.

Jean Philippe Fanfant on Sakesho - a mix of jazz and caribbean rhythms.

Julio Barreto on Antiguo, Gonzalo Rubalcaba's album that merges Yoruban rhythms with electronics.

doodoq

Hocus Pocus by Focus...A weird song made even stranger by an unabashed drum track!

DougB

Quote from: Mightydog on June 09, 2004, 03:02 PM
The drumming on Louie Louie by The Kingsmen.

Good one!  We used to play this song years ago - it was a blast.  Along with Wipe Out, which we used as an opportunity for each person in the band to do a solo.  Drums got to do 2-3 solos in that one!   :)

felix

I really need to just up and stop playing drums permanently.

Thanks guys.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Christopher on June 09, 2004, 02:22 PM
Narada Michael Walden   just ripping it up on Led Boots...
Narada Michael Walden on just about anything he ever played!  Talk about "over the top"!  Check out Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" to hear serious "over the top" drumming by Walden.  Check out "Eternity's Breath, Part 1 and Part 2".  

Christopher

Quote from: felix on June 10, 2004, 07:24 AM
I really need to just up and stop playing drums permanently.

Thanks guys.

C'mon man...

It's meant to inspire you!  ;D

Not depress you.  :'(

Quote from: themudlark on June 10, 2004, 07:32 AM
Narada Michael Walden on just about anything he ever played!  Talk about "over the top"!  Check out Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" to hear serious "over the top" drumming by Walden.  Check out "Eternity's Breath, Part 1 and Part 2".  

Nice... I only have the MO records with Cobham. I'll have to check those out. Thanks

Gretschn

I definitely agree with smoggrocks about Tony Williams. His left hand makes me giddy on just about any recording. I especially like the miles in the sky album he does with Miles Davis. Also Nite sprite by Chick Corea with Steve Gadd is off the hook.