• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Big audition. So what do I do if I get an offer?

Started by sidereal, August 12, 2002, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidereal

Hey folks...

I just finished an audition with a singer who is the offspring of a very famous singer/songwriter. The person with whom I had the audition is signed with three albums. It would be as the live drummer, doing local shows and occasional touring. Maybe I'd be involved when it came time to do a future new album, maybe not. But that would be a couple years down the road anyway.

The thing is, if I were offered the gig, I'd have to make a significant life change/musical change decision. So I'm wondering if you guys can offer any tips as to what kind of things I should ask if I get the nod.

Is it common to be paid for rehearsals, and is it okay or not cool to ask? The singer does normal shows (paying on average $150/gig) and also benefit shows. Does "benefit show" mean I don't get paid? Should I ask about long-term gigging plans? Any other questions I should ask? Mostly I'm concerned about money issues, because I'd have to give up my money band in order to do this. The gigs with this singer seem to be fairly stable for the next couple months at least, whereas my current band keeps going indefinitely and makes pretty good money.

Hmmm... well, I guess I'm sort of rambling on here. The singer has been auditioning drummers most of last week and is doing more still this week. So there's a big pool of players I'm up against. But I'd just like to be prepared before I leap into anything.

btw, I'll let you know who the person is after I get a phone call. ;)

Mark Schlipper

wow ... sounds like a nice little gig.  unfortunately im of no help as i have no remotely similar experience :)  but i think you said yourself in a previous post what the answer is.  to sum up, play what makes you happy.  we know the money gig makes you happy.  would this singer gig?  

Drumlooney

Hey sidereal glad to hear you might get this job, here are somethings that I take into account when I'm in these situations.  

1.  How big is this singer, or better yet how big is his label

2. How big are the venues you will be playing

3. How much drumming are you going to be doing (1 hour, 2 hours, etc.)

4. How much is everyone else getting paid!!

You need to take all these thing into an account, you don't want to be getting paid $200 a show for playing 3 hours at sold out venues while the singer and everyone else is getting big bucks.   It's great to get a big gig, but business is business I love playing drums, but money talks and ...well you know the rest.

Good luck and Congrats. ;)

BAnimalG

Sounds awesome sidereal!  On the benefit issue... This usually means the band doesn't get paid by the people holding the event, but it is totally cool to put a HUGE tip jar at the front of the stage.  Hope this helps, and good luck man!!   :)

sidereal

Thanks everyone...

Good list there looney. :) Yeah, label is small as are the venues, but occassionally there's a big show, like an opening slot for Joe Cocker at an arena show last month in Germany. (which reminds me, I should ask about traveling costs, but I believe that they are covered. Hmm, what about mileage for in-state gigs?) Your No. 4 question is a good one. I will ask that (if, of course, I get an offer).

:)

felix

Don't worry, you have nothing to worry about...I have plenty of faith you WON'T get it.

Prove me wrong and make me happy.

sidereal

Quote from: felix on August 13, 2002, 12:05 PM
Don't worry, you have nothing to worry about...I have plenty of faith you WON'T get it.

Prove me wrong and make me happy.

OK... I got the offer! :)

I'm surprised actually, cause she auditioned like 10 drummers. Nice ego boost. :) Anyway, I'll follow the advice you guys gave when I call her back.

She's Shana Morrison, daughter of Van.

AllMusic's got her entry here:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=B4jjx7i71g75r

I hope this means I get free Guiness pints at the Irish pub across from my apartment. ;)

Drumlooney

WOW Side congrats sounds like a great gig, I know you will make us all proud!! (except for felix, lol)

Remember you deserve to be there, you hard work has paid off.

felix

Wow, who did you have to blow to get that gig?  LOL  Just kidding.

Anyways great news.  Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a touring pro.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Bart Elliott

Congratulations Jim!

Just don't forget to wear your Drummer Cafe t-shirt when you do those televised gigs! LOL

felix

LOL...I have faith he will kicked out in a week or two.

Drumlooney

Have you seen the picture of shana??  

I say side goes for it!!  lol.

sidereal

;D  ;D  ;D

Felix, you kill me man!

Thanks everyone. Rat, them's kind words... and yeah, it's something I'm concerned about. But I'll go for it. btw, thanks also for the drum kit reading book suggestion.

felix

I bet your gf is secretly jealous of your success!

MVanDoren1

Can't really add anything here- just congrats.

Was wondering- in covering the tunes she already has recoreded- how much freedom will you have to put your own expressions into the music- or will you basically have to memorize the drums as recorded?

Scott

Congratulations, Sidereal!   ;D

This is really great news!  Good luck!

Scott

felix

Will you have to play "brown eyed girl"...we used to play a hard rocking version of that.

Tony

Congratulations!!  Sounds like you made it to the next step in becoming a "real" musician :)  Good luck.  My only advice is to not be like MLB Players and hold out for more $.  Take this gig and recognize the other benefits besides $$$.  As long as you can support yourself, you have a great opportunity to expose your talents to a whole new world of industry types who can recognize talent and justly reward it.  

BAnimalG

Wow Jim, that is incredible news!!  Good luck man!!   :D

Theo

Sounds exciting. How did you audition? Did she send you a tape or something to learn? How are her songs? Any good? What kind of music?

sidereal

Quote from: Theo on August 16, 2002, 01:56 PM
Sounds exciting. How did you audition? Did she send you a tape or something to learn? How are her songs? Any good? What kind of music?

Yeah, I auditioned. She had sent me a CD of music to learn. It's pretty cool, kind of Sheryl Crow type stuff.

btw, if you have an audition and someone sends you songs to learn, it's a good idea to get really familiar with the stuff. I think this helped me a great deal.

Mark Schlipper

i had an audition recently and was given a 3 song disc with material recorded with the old drummer.  it was kinda tricky to play that way.  i kept wanting to play with the other drummer, instead of replacing his parts.  and on top of that, i dont have nearly the kick foot he did.  so i went ot the audition with the songs down, my way, and some ideas for parts that werent there to begin with (hand drums during an intro etc) ... all in all it was wierd.  kinda nerve wracking.  and in the end fruitless.  but worth it.  the hardest part for me was trying to come off as someone theyd like to hang out with in the small amount of time between songs.

thankfully i got the gig with the next band i auditioned for ... thats enough of that for a while :)

iluvatars_dog

That good going , hope it all goes well for you .  ;D

Carn

hey sidereal, awesome news! congratulations!

Peter Jeffery

Hey Side....just catching your news now-  that's wicked dude-  congratulations!!  What's the latest on your new gig??

felix

They threw a swing tune at him and he got canned ;D

LOL  just kidding.

Carlos Benson

Side - it's never inappropriate to ask "business" questions for a gig. Benefits are usually paid to the players but not the leader, but not always. As a drummer that's played everything from Holiday Inns to large venues, you need to know the details of the gig before you throw anything else away (like $$$$). It's also important to know what expenses will be paid on those road trips, food, lodging, etc. ok? take care - carlos

Daddy0

Great news, Side! I guess you've already gotten plenty of free advice, but as bensoncarlos said, it's never inappropriate to ask busines questions.
I was in a band and found out the roadies were making more than I was! Another little tidbit that came out was that the guitar players were expensing picks and strings, but as the drummer I had to buy my own sticks and heads.

They wouldn't fix it so I quit!

Let us know for sure when you end up on a cd -- we'd all love to hear ya, man!

sidereal

Quote from: Daddy0 on September 03, 2002, 10:38 PM
Let us know for sure when you end up on a cd -- we'd all love to hear ya, man!

Thanks DaddyO... Actually, I am going to be on a CD coming out, but it's not Shana. "Waking Hour" by Vienna Teng on Virt Records is supposed to come out this November. Should be available in Tower Records, Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc. The sucky thing is that all my performances on that CD completely blow. Ah well. :)

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: sidereal on September 04, 2002, 11:42 AM
I am going to be on a CD coming out, but it's not Shana. "Waking Hour" by Vienna Teng

was the copping of the dali's car album name intentional?  :)

sidereal

<woosh>

That was the sound of something going over my head. :)

You can ask her yourself. She's trolling these pages.  ;D

Jazzman

Sidereal, great to see someone moving forward in the business.  I wish you the best success.  Really cool!  The exposure will be worth it, my friend.  Now's the time to go balls out and get noticed.

Peace........

Jazzman 8)