• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Keith Moon Video

Started by Thorne, August 16, 2004, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

My comment was more directed towards the clip...  It was not directed towards Keith moon and his legacy..  Even if his Legacy is surrounded by empty bottles..

:)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Thorne on August 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
My comment was more directed towards the clip...  It was not directed towards Keith moon and his legacy..  Even if his Legacy is surrounded by empty bottles..

:)
Unfortunately, you are correct about his legacy.

Once again, my bad.  

No bad feelings intended, I hope none were taken.

Thorne

No  its my bad really.. I could have started the thread off without a Negitive comment .  And let the clip speak for its self..

He is, and will be. one of the greats.. and a prime example of what happens to wasted talent.   I often wonder what the music world would be like if Jimi and Lennon ,Jopplin , Cass, Moon  were still with us. Who did i forget?

Stewart Manley

Quote from: Thorne on August 18, 2004, 10:49 AMI often wonder what the music world would be like if Jimi and Lennon ,Jopplin , Cass, Moon  were still with us. Who did i forget?

All too many, sadly. Porcaro. Bonham. Kossoff. The list is, alas, depressingly long.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Thorne on August 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
My comment was more directed towards the clip...  It was not directed towards Keith Moon and his legacy..  Even if his Legacy is surrounded by empty bottles..

My comments were also directed towards the clip ... and ... the poor goldfish.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Bartman on August 18, 2004, 12:03 PM
Lucky Moonie didn't use a snake head.  It probably would have eaten thru his tom head and walked off of the stage!

percussionmonkey1

Quote from: mudlark on August 16, 2004, 09:38 AM
He hit the BIG TIME while he was still a teenager.  Everyone is so critical of everything that somebody has done.  I'd be interested to see the percentage of persons having "problems" when they are VERY young, given enormous amounts of money, can freely travel the globe and basically do what they want.

His trashing of his equipment went along with The Who's persona, which was created by Pete Townshend, not Moon.

It's really too bad when somebody actually has a weakness, I assume everyone being critical of Moon would have handled the situation much better and would not have succumbed to any weaknesses possibly inherent in their personality.

Remember, don't let your weaknesses be known or you'll be in for a good trashing.

I  just don't think it's right, no matter how much talent you have it still is incredibly disrespectful to trash drums the way he did. And I'm sorry but that takes away alot of my respect for him. If a band is being known for trashing their instruments,  I don't think that shows any respect towards your craft

percussionmonkey1

I'm not saying Keith Moon was a bad drummer because he was awesome. His drumming on Tommy was great!  but the whole blowing up drums thing doesn't appeal to me.

Christopher

Here's a tiny slice of video showing part of an alternate studio take of Who Are You.

If you look closely, you can see what chrisso described in an earlier post... "has the studio headphones gaffa'ed to his head."

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chrisodonnell/who.wmv]Who Are You .wmv

Ouch is right.

percussionmonkey1

Quote from: Bartman on August 18, 2004, 12:03 PM

I know, I feel bad for the fish. The video of his solo wasn't the best playing I've seen him do. But I did really enjoy his earlier drumming.

robeb

QuoteI  just don't think it's right, no matter how much talent you have it still is incredibly disrespectful to trash drums the way he did. And I'm sorry but that takes away alot of my respect for him. If a band is being known for trashing their instruments,  I don't think that shows any respect towards your craft

That was show biz, not dissin' drums.

I was fortunate enough as a young teen to work as an equipment roadie type for them one night. It was their 1st tour of the states, 1966 (7?), and they were on a tight budget. Believe me, the road mngr. was very aware of where each piece of busted gear was on the stage before the lights went down.

As soon as they left the stage, he and his guys would gather up all the broken hardware. It was part of his job to piece back together the gear for the next show. They carried quite a lot of 2nd hand replacement parts and an impressive toolbox.

At the end of "My Generation" Townsend had broken a Gibson 335. He held on to the neck, but the body went into the audience. I watched as the chaos ended and saw an audience member run up close to the stage and grab that guitar body off the floor. He started running toward the exit and road mngr. Bobby said "I'll be right back". He chased that guy through the crowd, followed him out the door and was back in about 2 minutes with the goods. What a job he had...

The story goes - Pete was in a rather pissy mood one night early on. They were doing a show in some crappy club and he decided to vent...while on stage. After he had taken out his frustrations on his gear, the crowd went wild. Tried it again at another show, same reaction. Sounds like a formula for at least some moderate success... got to pay the bills. These guys were struggling musicians, who can blame them?

My point is: I wouldn't dismiss these guys as no talent bums that had no respect for their craft. They recorded some of the best rock ever. Whatever your opinion of loonie moonie and crew, the music still stands strong.

Tkitna

Quote from: BigBillInBoston on August 17, 2004, 01:56 PM
I agree. I saw the WHO on TV a year or so ago with Zack on drums. He played very well and seemed to be playing in a Keith Moon kind of style with out imitating him.

BigBill

He ought to, Keith taught him how to play. It wasnt his old man that bought him his first drumset either. It was Moonie.

super_grover

I've heard a lot of people saying Keith is better than Bonham, but I don't know, I never really believed that and this kinda supports my idea. Bonham's Moby Dick solos were just so much cleaner and more interesting, and he was just an extremely great drummer.

felix

Most people don't get drummers as being artists and individual art being different and impressive in it's own right.

So when the average Joe says something like "Neil Peart is the greatest drummer that ever played" I just say "absolutely"... it's not worth the argument.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: felix on August 19, 2004, 06:29 AM
Most people don't get drummers as being artists and individual art being different and impressive in it's own right.

So when the average Joe says something like "Neil Peart is the greatest drummer that ever played" I just say "absolutely"... it's not worth the argument.
Bravo!

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: Bartman on August 17, 2004, 04:52 PM
Those poor fish! The vibrations must just drive them crazy. So much for the "Don't Tap On The Glass" philosophy.

Not if the were "Rumblefish"!

Chris Whitten

Quote from: super_grover on August 18, 2004, 10:57 PM
I've heard a lot of people saying Keith is better than Bonham, but I don't know, I never really believed that and this kinda supports my idea. Bonham's Moby Dick solos were just so much cleaner and more interesting,
Apart from the fact they are both great in their own right, I just don't think drummers should be judged on their solos. What about the stuff they're playing 90% of the time?

sptucker

Quote from: super_grover on August 18, 2004, 10:57 PM
I've heard a lot of people saying Keith is better than Bonham, but I don't know, I never really believed that and this kinda supports my idea. Bonham's Moby Dick solos were just so much cleaner and more interesting, and he was just an extremely great drummer.

I like to think of it this way:
Keith Moon is a better drummer for the Who
John Bonham is a better drummer for Led Zepellin

Vintage Ludwig

Quote from: sptucker on August 19, 2004, 10:19 AM
I like to think of it this way:
Keith Moon is a better drummer for the Who
John Bonham is a better drummer for Led Zepellin

were comparing apples to oranges here......truth be told that they were very good friends.  As it was, Moonie told Bonham that his band would go down like a lead balloon......and thats how Zep got their name-

sptucker

Quote from: quicksfoot on August 19, 2004, 11:29 AM
were comparing apples to oranges here......truth be told that they were very good friends.  As it was, Moonie told Bonham that his band would go down like a lead balloon......and thats how Zep got their name-

No disagreement on the apples to oranges, here!  My point was that they both sound great in the bands they played in.   Try imagining what either band would sound like if the drummer's were swapped!

I love the Led Zep name story, especially since they just went with it regardless of the implied failure connotation.  The way I heard it, though, Moon said Lead Zeppelin and they simply took out the A...

I guess they proved Moon wrong...