• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The most influential drummers...

Started by rlhubley, August 27, 2002, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Well Guy's,
Thank you for the education.  Guess my 9th grade music teacher was more into her opinion than facts.  We were learning the history of Rock n Roll for one semister.  I think
the Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Elvis, and the Beatles stories could have been tarnished by her own feelings but this is what was taught.  I don't know what Peter Best played like but I do know how Ringo plays and it was right for the type of music.
I don't know that he was the father of Rock drummers or anything and the point I ment by saying he was to much was taken out of context.  Try putting Lars from Metallica on an
America album.  Or John Bonham with Pure Prarie Leage.
Means more like the style didn't fit.  I have been known in my early drumming days to over play and if you stick me on a country song now I will over play. I am not suited for Country drumming.  I have been told by players that do both that I am very impressive as a Rock drummer so if the opportunity came
around to play Country music for a living I would keep my day job and pass on it. I like the Beatles and always have but
I am just not a Ringo fan. He gave them what they needed to be the biggest band of the time.  Kind of like, I really like Rush and as a band they are great but I don't really care for Geddy Lee's voice. Sorry if I got under someones skin about this but
I don't think Mr. A likes Geddy's voice either.
                                           Nutty

Chris -

Steve Gadd, Paul Wertico, David Garibaldi

basshead70

Gene Krupa

Buddy Rich,  Seem him live very cool

Neil Peart

baldmann

Generally speaking: Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Ringo Starr
Personally: John Bonham, Ian Paice, Steve Gadd

PJSdrum

Gene Krupa- brought awareness to the public of the drummer as a musician and soloist. Think of how many non-musicians to this day recognize the Sing, Sing, Sing solo even if they don't know who did it.

Buddy Rich- I can't think of any drummers who haven't given a tip of the hat to Buddy for his style and technique.

Ringo Starr- Like him or not the sheer fact of Ringos playing with the Beatles put more drumsets (especially Ludwigs) into the homes of aspiring musicians around the globe.

Mark Counts

Check out Mike here?
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/mikeportnoysolo.html.
Not crazy about Dream Theater but this solo is pretty cool?
                                  Nutty

Mark Counts

Or maybe Billy?
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/billycobhamhancock.html.
This is one of my personal favorites.
               Nutty

Mark Counts

Mark Counts

Mark Counts

Mark Counts

Or maybe Buddy Rich.  Man is he fast in this solo?  Aint this fun?
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/buddyrichsticktrick.html.
       Nutty

Mister Acrolite

Please do not feel compelled to list every link that can be found at Drummerworld. Thanks.

Mark Counts

Sorry Mr. A,
I just thought that Visual was alway's better than Words.  Some new drummer may have never seen Buddy Rich.
                                  Nutty

Mark Counts

Wow Randy,  Thanks,
Mr. A,
What a web site? It is so big, Where can I hear some of your material?
                           Nutty

Mark Counts

Hey Mr. A,
Randy showed me your web site and I guess now I know who you are.  I had no Idea.  I really liked the Monkey's as a kid but don't hold that against me! Never could forget Last Train to Clarksville.  I really played drums to that stuff.  Since I have put some drummers solo links on here, do you have one? I would love to hear it? You used to have some serious hair!!
                                Nutty

DWdrmr

Quote from: PJSdrum on January 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
Gene Krupa- brought awareness to the public of the drummer as a musician and soloist. Think of how many non-musicians to this day recognize the Sing, Sing, Sing solo even if they don't know who did it.

Buddy Rich- I can't think of any drummers who haven't given a tip of the hat to Buddy for his style and technique.

Ringo Starr- Like him or not the sheer fact of Ringos playing with the Beatles put more drumsets (especially Ludwigs) into the homes of aspiring musicians around the globe.

Gene Krupa did that and more..if you read his bio, he practically invented the modern drumset...highhat stand, for sure and many hardware innovations...if it was'nt for him and his association with Slingerland..we would all probably still be playing a "lowboy" ..

Buddy?..what can (can't) you say about this pioneer who brought the drumkit to the forefront of a band setting, ...along with Gene..not bad for an ex-Vaudville performer..how many were forgotten?

Ringo? I like him..second to my cousin,a pro jazz drummer in the late 50's and early '60s...have to say, my second confirmation that I should play drums..
And, yes, along with Ginger, my primary reason to buy Ludwigs...great hardware and drums.