• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Oh My aching butt....!

Started by P2, March 31, 2005, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P2

Yes it's true.... my butt aches more the left side than right.... I can't seem to find a comfortable throne enough to when I practice or play a 2 - 4 hour gig that my butt isn't killing me by the end..... I have even put some thick shipping padding on top of the throne but that only helps marginally.... I'm wondering if it is something I have been doing wrong.... posture, seat height... etc.... I do tend to bounce around sometimes when I'm playing or kinda rock side to side. But now it's gotten down to the painful side of things.. so much as it is uncomfortable to even sit in a standard chair let alone a drum throne and it even hurts when I walk.... This is bizar! I feel like someone has kicked me in my backside with an iron boot...... any ideas as to what's going on?!?!

I got two gigs coming up within a week..... I need advice because right now I don't know how I'm gonna make it through them....

psycht

You've really answered your own questions. You seem to know what could be causing the problem (posture, height, thone seat, etc...).  I'd go to GC or your local music store and test out all kinds of thrones.  See which one is the most comfortable and manageable.

Addionally you might want to consult a doctor or a chiropractor for their advise on this as well.

grandskam

I am in the same boat, have you solved the problem?  I have a Roc n Soc throne that is on a nirtrogen shock absorber, and it does not help, it has got to be the way I'm playing.  Or my boney ass just doesn't have enough meat on it to last a 2 hour set without killing afterward

Chonson

Obviously, it's worth checking with a doctor. But one thing that could be causing it, if you haven't considered it, is your wallet -- if you have a wallet that's usually jammed with business cards, credit cards, receipts, etc and you keep it in your back pocket while you're sitting, this could be causing trouble even when you're away from the kit.

I know it seems dumb -- but I had a friend who had to go to the doctor over this same point and it ended up being the one thing he'd never given a second thought (and after plunking down some serious change on ergonomic and massaging everything...)

VickHick

Before u buy another throne i would suggest u check out the Soundseat Drum Throne.  I got one a while back and they are great.  A step up from my Roc-n-Soc to me.  They are a little more expensive than a regular throne, but they are worth it.  The service is first rate, shipping is quick, and there is at least one if not more follow up phone calls to check and make sure u are satisfied with your throne.

MOUSE

My band normally does three times one hour and a half sets, a 4th if needed.
It is usually the 3rd set nearing the end when we sometimes over run an extra 1/4 to 1/2 hour that i become a PIA.
I found standing up between songs when there is a chance helps, also proves there is a live person on the drums.  ;)

Surely it is not unreasonable for the body to complain a bit after that length of time. Don't rush away and have butt implants done  ;D

I find the same with riding my Triumph Bonneville. After two hours i have to stop, and it's around then i need to gas up anyway. Ever wonder why motorcyclists are some times seen riding with their feet out in front of them, it's that sore ass syndrome  :'( ;D)
A bit of walking around a gas station for 5 minutes and i can head off into the wind for another couple hours.
For the bike i have a sheep skin (plentiful in my country) cover that i put on the seat for long trips and it does provide extra relief, aaaaahhhhh i'm going to try that next gig on drum throne.

Louis Russell

Talk about a blast from the past!  I hope the problem has been solved or he may be in the running for the longest PITA in drumming history.  I good throne that fits, no wallet, and butt conditioning should solve the problem.  People think sitting around is easy but you must acclimate your butt and this sometimes takes a while.

maktub

I think it's funny that only the drummers are allowed to sit down and yet we complain about it. Hahaha.

Nathan Cartier

This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George had the huge wallet, and it was causing him back pain.

Mark Counts

My butt has been sitting on the same Roc-n-Soc for about 10 years and I have no butt problems. Thank the good Lord. This reminds me of something that I heard in the Navy about 20 years ago.  The butt controls everything.  If the butt doesn't work you are in deep do do. Well, those weren't the exact words but close.  What is the world coming to, a thread about Butts.  Good luck with your butt 8)!!
                                Nutty

Paicey

Are you skinny?, you know......boney butt?. Check your buns out in a mirror, any discoloration?, possible broken blood vessels. It may be caused from a pinched nerve in the lower back making it seem the butt cheek. Have a sports doctor or chiropractor check things out. Possibly x-rays. Do you have a back-rst on your seat?. Man, this is going to be a pain in the butt trying to figure this out.

iwokojance

Some people here are going to laugh at this...I would. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I had a couple of different thrones and my arse always ended up being sore on one side. I ditched them. I've been playing on a hard wooden chair with a back for about two years now. When I was playing on the thrones, I had a tedency to lean forward into the kit. I started using the chair as a way to force myself to sit upright...and relax. Sitting forward tenses up your muscles, and your playing will suffer. Sitting upright helps you to relax. I'm still using the old wooden chair.

rca

Left side only sounds suspiciously like a wallet problem. It can cause lower back pain.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: rca on August 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
Left side only sounds suspiciously like a wallet problem. It can cause lower back pain.

YES! Wallets are so bad. I rarely carry one, and when I do, I remove the wallet when I sit down. I use a money clip; the wallet is just for my driver's license, credit cards, etc.

Musicians shouldn't have a wallet problem because they never have any money to put in it any way.  ;)

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on August 11, 2007, 08:43 PM

Musicians shouldn't have a wallet problem because they never have any money to put in it any way.  ;)
Amen,
                Nutty

George

Yes, very true, as Nutty says, too. A single credit card is enough, which is small enough not to hurt you in your pocket. It only hurts when you check your account and find that you're in awful debts. (Still I suggest everyone also keeping a coin in that pocket for the trolley at the supermarket.)

MOUSE

Yep, always empty your pockets out, keys will bruise your leg. A bit like the hunchback joke, went to the doctor and had his long lost school bag removed  ::)

quote " I think it's funny that only the drummers are allowed to sit down and yet we complain about it."

That's because we don't have to get away from the aweful noise  ;D

I just got me a Tama First Chair, man, that i like luxury, i'll put my feet up and go to sleep.

Louis Russell

Quote from: mouse on August 10, 2008, 04:08 PMI just got me a Tama First Chair, man, that i like luxury,

I use the TAMA First Chair with Backrest and each time I sit down my butt smiles and with my butt that is one huge smile.   ;D

ITeachThereforeIDrum

I just came off of a serious butt (actually it was the coccyx - tailbone) injury.  I bruised it from playing (over 40 years) and it finally needed a rest.  It took about a year to fully heal.  It hurt to sit on a cushy couch.  The pain was not only located at the coccyx.  It also hurt all the way to the leg joint.  (It was a similar pain experienced years ago from my wallet!)  I ended up purchasing a specialized Pearl throne.  Notice the cutout.  This is where the coccyx sits and has little to no pressure on it.  My chiropractor loved this idea and has confirmed that it helped considerably in the healing.  I'm now back behind the drums full time.  I also agree with the wallet comments.  I removed mine many, many years ago.  It was causing me pain so I switched it to my front pocket - done and done.  No more pain.  Check out this throne.  I also have the backrest, but it's not necessary.

http://www.pearleurope.com/mediafiles/images/product/175_d-2000_large.jpg

MOUSE

So if you sit on it backwards, you can rest the other leg  ;D Similar sounding name too  ::)

The Pork Pie range of wide arse thrones are tasty too and look heavy duty with it.

Mark Pedersen

Quote from: mouse on August 12, 2008, 02:10 AM
So if you sit on it backwards, you can rest the other leg  ;D Similar sounding name too  ::)

The Pork Pie range of wide arse thrones are tasty too and look heavy duty with it.

Ah yes! The stylish Tractor seat Pork Pie! My ass has never been more comfortable in all my years of playing since I got one a few years back.

No wallet or keys!! Learned that one the hard way a decade or more back - middle of a song and my keys in my front pocket "bit" me!

SteveR

I resemble that remark!!

Seriously, I switched to the Tama Ergonomic throne a few years ago and never looked back. Most comfortable throne I've ever sat in. Very soft and the backrest makes it impossible to slouch. Give it a try.