• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

endorsement

Started by Panhormonia, June 14, 2005, 07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panhormonia

bart,

ive dropped out of school this year to fulfill my dreams of becomming a professional drummer with both my rock band and my big band.

although i am playing regular gigs the lack of a proper job is beginning to show and since i devote nearly all of my spare time to practicing/building my own recording studio i cannot go out and get a job to pay for all the heads/bits of kit that i get through.

my parents are being really supportive but i was wondering whether i should consider endorsing some products.

i have played yamaha drums and zildjian cymbals all my playing life and wonder whether :

a)it would be to my advantage?
and
b)would they let me endorse their products?

if you could push me in the right direction/give me your thoughts on these matters it would be much appreciated.

many thanks,
Ed

Bart Elliott

Please read my article entitled  http://www.drummercafe.com/index.php/content/view/22/28/]Endorsements .

Also search around the Drummer Cafe for past threads on this topic; we've discussed this at length.

If you are not playing with a high-profile band and/or you are not a high-profile player in the region where you live, you are not going to get an endorsement from any of the major companies. If you do get an endorsement, you won't get a bunch of free stuff ... especially when it comes to drumheads and drumsticks.

My suggestion ... I would "push you" to go back to school and finish what you started! You'll need the education to make it in this world, especially the corporate entity that current rules the music business.

I personally know of a high-profile player who is with a soon-to-be household name band (there's a huge music industry push with these guys), and he was rejected by Yamaha for an endorsement deal. They don't have the budget or personel to take on any new  endorsees.

As far as Zildjian goes, they will default to what I mentioned earlier. If you want to contact them, you can, but they'll tell you what I said already ... get with a high-profile band and show us why we should invest in you. If you are not going to help them make sales, they are not going to take you as an endorsee.

I'm not trying to be harsh with you ... just real and honest ... and getting to the point quicly.