• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Hating DW

Started by DRWM, June 24, 2005, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRWM

So, if you were the biggest "brand X" fan in the world, maybe $4000 is too low for you to pay for the kit?  Is that what you mean?

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: DRWM on June 28, 2005, 03:01 PM
So, if you were the biggest "brand X" fan in the world, maybe $4000 is too low for you to pay for the kit?  Is that what you mean?

To some extent yes.  

But again, its not just one thing that makes up the "value" of an item.  

DRWM

wow.  I appreciate your perspective.

So, if price is out the window and you really "value" one kit over another, there should be no such thing as an overpriced drum, if fans of a particular drum are spending thousands of dollars on it, it must be that valuable to them.  

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: DRWM on June 28, 2005, 03:31 PM
wow.  I appreciate your perspective.

So, if price is out the window and you really "value" one kit over another, there should be no such thing as an overpriced drum, if fans of a particular drum are spending thousands of dollars on it, it must be that valuable to them.  

Pretty much.  

That said, whenever someone says a drum is "overpriced" you can safely assume they mean, "to them".    So there can be "overpriced" drums, but its a case by case, person by person basis.  

There's just to much subjective judgement involved in the decision making process for it to be black and white.

DRWM

I hear you there.  That's the way of the world, isn't it?

drumwild

Quote from: ARCHxANGEL on June 26, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have three Pacific boom stands and I love them to death.

I have three Pacific boom stands also!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/drumwild/drums/IMG_0371.jpg]

When I worked at GC, I found out that it's not only the cheapest (price-wise) stand in the store, but it makes the store the highest profit.

They hold up well for me and "stand" the test of time (got them three years ago).

The price issue is definitely relative. My pedal is evidence of that.

that1drummer

Cause my homies were rollin out in the backstreet when all of sudden some guy stepped on there new kicks they got a five finger discount on at foot locker. The guy was sportin a red DW Shirt. That Is Why It Is Hip To Hate DW

Dave Heim

Quote from: that1drummer on June 28, 2005, 06:16 PM
Cause my homies were rollin out in the backstreet when all of sudden some guy stepped on there new kicks they got a five finger discount on at foot locker. The guy was sportin a red DW Shirt. That Is Why It Is Hip To Hate DW

The mystery is finally solved.

Word.

drumwild

cragar

Maybe in 5 years, we'll be raggin' about those over-priced and tragically hip OCD's while waxing romantic about the ole' "affordable" vintage DWs?   Ya think?

My point? When "Botique" becomes mainstream, there's always another custom made, low volume company waiting in the wings... and someone willing to pony up a thousand more for the exclusivity.

And with guitar amps?
Got a friend who used a JCM 2000 Marshall stack for years. nah...too yesterday, too common...So he buys a Mesa Boogie Stack...@$%# if another act in town buys the same Mesa rig a year later. Oh man, what next?  a VHT !!!!!  
"Dude... VHT...hand made, hand wired, built to order...and $3000. No one around has ONE!!!!!" ( Personally. I liked his Marshall sound best).

felix

VHT's are tremendous amps

optomagis

In Modern Drummer lately I've noticed how many people do use DW drums, whether its just hardware, or drums or both. More people use DW than say Premier or Brady. I'm not trying to say this suggests that DW are good or bad, just that there are a lot of pros out there who like DW - just a thought

Joe

Quote from: optomagis on July 11, 2005, 02:48 AM
In Modern Drummer lately I've noticed how many people do use DW drums, whether its just hardware, or drums or both. More people use DW than say Premier or Brady. I'm not trying to say this suggests that DW are good or bad, just that there are a lot of pros out there who like DW - just a thought

Or that there are a lot of pros endorsing DW with much reimbursment.  Whichever. :)

James Walker

Quote from: optomagis on July 11, 2005, 02:48 AMMore people use DW than say Premier or Brady. I'm not trying to say this suggests that DW are good or bad, just that there are a lot of pros out there who like DW - just a thought
Quote from: Joe on July 11, 2005, 08:24 AM
Or that there are a lot of pros endorsing DW with much reimbursment.  Whichever. :)

Or, that DW does a better job at (or puts a greater emphasis on) their advertising budget.  Or maybe they do have more drummers playing their drums (btw, what's the "smiley" for a shrug?) - Brady's a small company, and Premier's drums are (IMHO) underrated, and underexposed in the US.

warmodder

DW does do alot of advertising. Even alot of people who are brand new to drums believe dw is the 'best'. There are plenty of drummers who will buy dw simply because so and so plays or because the price to them implies quality. (More expensive = better) It's the same reason alot of kids play ocdp. (Travis barker omg!!!!!112)

Some people can't or don't want to compare different kits or worry about brands. Those people can buy a dw because of the reputation they've earned through advertising and endorsements and rest assured they're getting a top quality kit.

I think dw is cool though. I'm gunna get a set whenever I can save up enough cash or convince mis padres to help me out a little... :)

Joe

Quote from: warmodder on July 11, 2005, 09:40 AM
Some people can't or don't want to compare different kits or worry about brands. Those people can buy a dw because of the reputation they've earned through advertising and endorsements and rest assured they're getting a top quality kit.

Their top-quality nature is argued in this very thread.

warmodder

I don't think anyone can argue the fact that dw doesn't make good drums. But top-quality, especially in something as subjective as drums, is percieved, and we can all shout til we're blue in the face about it, but some people will love'em and some people will hate'em.

Is it worth the money? If I love cars and driving, a ferrari f355 will be worth every penny to me despite the fact that you can't drive it all year round, it's quite a headache in a suburban area, and it costs an arm and a leg. Still to me, the driving enthusiast it's something I will love every summer.

To many a dw, despite it's shortcomings, may provide the same enjoyment.

Dave Heim

Quote from: warmodder on July 11, 2005, 09:40 AM
. . . There are plenty of drummers who will buy dw simply because so and so plays or because the price to them implies quality. . .

Very true.  But not only of DW.  In fact, for that very reason each month Modern Drummer magazine creates a little useless section called "Who's Playing What".  Many people believe that if you buy the same drums as so-and-so, you'll magically begin to play just like so-and-so.  And it ain't so.

Christopher

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on July 11, 2005, 06:53 PM
Many people believe that if you buy the same drums as so-and-so, you'll magically begin to play just like so-and-so.  And it ain't so.

What?!?!

You mean?

I won't sound just like...?

Man, next you'll be telling me that Santa isn't coming this year.  :(

Dave Heim

Quote from: Christopher on July 11, 2005, 07:18 PM
Man, next you'll be telling me that Santa isn't coming this year.  :(

You'd better sit down. . .  :)

(besides, you'll shoot your eye out, kid!)