• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Hating DW

Started by DRWM, June 24, 2005, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: James Walker on August 29, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hmm...looks a bit like a Noble & Cooley, no?

It had that custom lacquer on it that made it look less like a DW, IMO. They sounded about as good as they looked.

James Walker

Quote from: Gaddabout on August 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
It had that custom lacquer on it that made it look less like a DW, IMO.

Actually, I'm looking at the badges and lugs - those look like N&C to me, unless you had DW make a kit with N&C parts.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on August 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
Um, if that's the set you had trouble with, I think you're hating the wrong manufacturer.

I never said I hated DW. They're just as good as the next company, IMO.

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on August 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
I see comments here and there about people getting rid of their DW hardware because it was too heavy.  I gotta ask: Did anyone pick this stuff up and check the weight before buying it?  Seems people were surprised by the weight.  Personally, I've not found it to be any heavier than the Slingerland Magnum hardware or the Ludwig Modular hardware.  The weight is not fun to haul around, but it sure comes in handy when you want to keep thise cymbals from tipping or or want to hang other stuff with clamps.

I have a bad back, but it only hurts if I aggravate over a few minutes. It never dawned on me the impact heavy duty hardware would have on my back. I wasn't ripping DW hardware at all. It does exactly what they say it does.

I tend to prefer Yamaha's hardware, for a variety of reasons, but I'm certainly advocating Yammies over other manufacturers.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: James Walker on August 29, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hmm...looks a bit like a Noble & Cooley, no?

Oops. Linked to the wrong kit.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Gaddabout on August 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
I never said I hated DW. They're just as good as the next company, IMO.
Cool.  My bad.  I was referring to the thread title.

Quote from: Gaddabout on August 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
I have a bad back, but it only hurts if I aggravate over a few minutes. It never dawned on me the impact heavy duty hardware would have on my back.

Same here.  And oddly enough the one and only time I yoinked my back due to drumming I did it lifting the floor tom out of my trunk!  I just leaned over the wrong way, had a bad angle. . .  who knows?  Hadn't even gotten to the hardware cases yet!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

OK. There's no link to the kit. That was Randy's N&C kit and I wasn't paying attention. If you can imagine a DW that exact same color, that was the one I bought from him when he went  http://www.randywalker.com/gear.html]all Canadian  on me. ;)

Danno

Quote from: Slingerland5 on August 29, 2006, 02:22 PM
I own all DW Hardware and enjoy it very much. (Except for when I'm carrying it)

Yeah, except for when you're carrying it. I just this week finished selling all my DW 9700 cymbal stands on eBay and replaced them with little Sonor straight stands that I got from Musician's Friend for $20 apiece. Those DWs were murder to lug around, almost 13 pounds each.

Slingerland5

good idea with the lighter hardware. I guess the weight of the DW stands could come in handy when some wacko tries to steal my hardware case.  ;)

Dave Heim

Quote from: Slingerland5 on August 29, 2006, 04:56 PM
good idea with the lighter hardware. I guess the weight of the DW stands could come in handy when some wacko tries to steal my hardware case.  ;)

Just look for the guy at the pawn shop wearing a truss.  :)