• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

didgeridoo

Started by Bob Pettit, September 01, 2005, 11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Pettit

I have been playing didg for almost two months now.
I really like it, it makes me feel good.  I  trance out, droning on with the circular breathing. It is relaxing and makes my lip kind of tingle. I like droning mostly, haven't been getting into fancy rythmic type playing, but I do have a variety of drone sounds.

Tonight I played with a friend who has an instrument called a 'hang', pronounced 'hung'. It is a metal thing with holes that looks like a flying saucer or two woks welded together. it sounds like a cross between a udu drum and a steel drum, sort of, it makes a droning sound too that fits well with didg.

It was the first time I really played music with someone on didg.

Any other didg players out there?

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I can play but don't do it that much.

I used to know this guy in N. CA. that used to play at an open mic. He'd sit with a couple of mics pointed at him and run it all through multiple effects, delays and I think even an Echoplex. He'd create these huge swirling soundscapes and the audience absolutely loved it.

Mark Schlipper

I don't have the lungs to do it right, but I've been known to do some looping with a didge for texture on recordings.  

If anyone is interested ...  http://www.hang.ch/en/produkt/index.html]the PanArt Hang

windhorse

Well you knew this ol' blowhard couldn't stay away from this question too long..  ;)

Our band's headlining for the second time at Herman's Hideaway tomorrow night. BushTic (guess what you will about the band name, but it actually was made before this president was yet in office)
We're the fourth in a four band line-up.
They think of me mainly as their didjeridu player,, and worry about sound quality, make sure my levels are up for the didj,, but convincing them to think of me as a drummer is going to take a while..  :P
Last night at the practice, they kept turning the congas low so that you could barely hear them..

Oh well,, I'll play the hell out of them tomorrow anyway!  :o

I just brought this up since it's probably the reverse scenario for most of you..  ;D

windhorse

OK, whatever I said about the band being unappreciative,, I take it all back today! We truely had a spectacular show last night! Really something special. It's the practices that sort of bite, but at the venue the sound was right up there! Nothing but accolades and respect sent my way all night from both the band and the audience....

Shane Stylianos

I like to play Didj.   I have a PVC one that I made myself.  I can't circular breath, but I can hold the tone for around thirty seconds.  

Bob Pettit

styles2281,
That circular breathing is worth putting the effort out to learn. I had some basic instruction and got it down pretty quick.

For me it boiled down to conservation of air flow. I light up the didg, then back off to a minimum flow to keep the drone going, then use my cheeks or throat to continue the drone and pull in more air through the nose.

I think learning on a higher back pressure didg is good, but to really get the feel of it, go for a larger bore, less back pressure instrument. I really like the big bore didg, it has the most resonance and tone.

Windhorse is an expert at didg. David how about some wisdom from the long winded one?

windhorse

Quote from: bongo on September 27, 2005, 05:21 PM
Windhorse is an expert at didg. David how about some wisdom from the long winded one?

Hey, you guys are nuts! What makes you want to blow air through a tube!?!?
Wisdom would say,, just keep a drummin' and leave that to the people with lots of hot air!

all kidding aside,, Bongo you're absolutely right.
Next step,, play some rhythms on it!
Most of the hot players use a Tresillo based rhythm when it's 4X4. I've also done rumba clave with all the hockets played with the tongue, and the clave beats with barks.
Bueno Suerte!

Dave

Bob Bartley

I picked up a cheap didg to play around with and someday use with our bagpipe band. I love the 2 instruments together, the complementing drones sound cool. A great CD to get with the 2 instruments and a band is "MasterBlaster" by Victoria Police Pipe Band. Also the band "Wicked Tinkers" are fun also.

Anyway to my question for Windhorse, the masterblaster that he is, Any good DVD's for learning the didg that you would recommend, or anyone with a favorite they know of?

windhorse

Yep, get Adam Plack's "Winds of Warning". Best for fundamentals
Steven Kent's "Meanwhile". Coolest, modern
And, Jeremy Cloak's "Resonance". Most technical (the Giovanni Hidalgo of didjeridu)

Bob, you rock for spreading out on instruments like you're doing  :D

Dave

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: bongo on September 27, 2005, 05:21 PM
styles2281,
That circular breathing is worth putting the effort out to learn. I had some basic instruction and got it down pretty quick.

For me it boiled down to conservation of air flow. I light up the didg, then back off to a minimum flow to keep the drone going, then use my cheeks or throat to continue the drone and pull in more air through the nose.

I think learning on a higher back pressure didg is good, but to really get the feel of it, go for a larger bore, less back pressure instrument. I really like the big bore didg, it has the most resonance and tone.

No doubt.  I just haven't put the time in.  I just haven't had any contemporary use for didj to make it a priority.  Someday maybe.  I was getting close when I was practicing.

rob

Hi all,

I have to say the didge is an amazing instrument I love it  ;D I have been playing it for about six years now and can play some awesome rhythums, ive been to oz and had the opportunity to have some expert tuition and when played with any type of drum or percussion boy the thing starts to smoke.

I am now moving into the area of having my didges on stands and im playing my djembie/cajon at the same time tricky but i'm managing  ;) just .

rob

anthonyb

im curious, why is the didg a percussion insturment?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: anthonyb on October 06, 2006, 06:25 PM
im curious, why is the didg a percussion instrument?

It's not a percussion instrument ... but many percussionists seem to learn/want to play. I play the Didgeridoo as well.

Danno

When I saw Govt Mule last year, their opening act was an Australian one-man-band guy who had this percussion setup that included three digeridoos of varying sizes. He used them in every song, which wore thin after a while, but for the first 25 minutes or so it was VERY cool.

Bob Pettit

Quote from: rob on October 05, 2006, 02:42 AM

I am now moving into the area of having my didges on stands and im playing my djembie/cajon at the same time tricky but i'm managing  ;) just .

I've been doing this for awhile now on my percussion setup. I have two Toca plastic didjes (lightweight, unbreakable, look good, sound good) mounted on a stand for hands free play. I'm getting it down prettywell.

Bob Pettit

Quote from: Danno on October 06, 2006, 08:14 PM
When I saw Govt Mule last year, their opening act was an Australian one-man-band guy who had this percussion setup that included three digeridoos of varying sizes. He used them in every song, which wore thin after a while, but for the first 25 minutes or so it was VERY cool.

Xavier Rudd?   

Danno

Quote from: bongo on October 07, 2006, 11:51 AM
Xavier Rudd?   

Yeah, that's him. Is he related to Phil of AC/DC? I'm thinking maybe he is because they're both from Australia.

yankeeboy13

I bought a didge about a month ago. I have yet to get the circular breathing down, but I can do some sound effects and rhythms. Very fun instrument to play.

rob

;D nice one yankieeboy they are great and acompanied by drums, is awesome  ;D dont get too bogged down with the breathing it comes most important is getting the right amount of air presure and a good solid drone keep it up  ;)

ps: as far as i'm concered its a percussive instrument when playing people talk about rythums and beats, you dont hit it or beat it but hey its more percussive than instrumental  ???...well thats my view anyway  ;D

A good example of didge is this guy Richie Bridge:

http://didgeworld.com/Richard_Bridge/]http://didgeworld.com/Richard_Bridge/

;D

enough about the didge I 'm awaiting my new cajon from DG italy Woot !!
Next its didge cajon and Hang 
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om16250.html]http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om16250.html

awesome!!!!  Will post an MP3 when I get the chance

rob