• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Studio Pictures

Started by Drumlooney, September 14, 2005, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumlooney

Inspired by Felix here are a few pics of my studio.
Here is the control room

Here is the Harrison Raven

More Control Room Pics

My Pearl Masters in my Drum/Recording room

More Drums/Recording room

Gregg Rivers

Very Cool 8) I'm diggin' that rig Looney! You got it goin' on bra! ;)

Joe

Oh my...good heavens!  EXCELLENT layout.

I'm noticing the little details (such as the tight fit of the door) and the window, not to mention that mic' jack panel (for lack of knowledge of the term).  Great stuff.

And, the studio ring on the snare drum warms my heart ;D

Louis Russell

Dang, now I have another craving flung on me.   ;D  It looks great.  Maybe someday I will have one half as nice.  

Dead Trooper

You guys have seriously cool studios going on. I love this stuff. Congratulations.

felix

I bet that board sounds like a wet dream.  The Krock speakers are sweet also- I'm saving up for some passive Adam speakers from german to handle my mcintosh (which basically blows thru those things like tissue paper)

I see a nice Joe meek lunchbox thing... what's that do?

Do you like your Blue mic?

Are you running protools LE?  After I get a really sweet board (had big Hill for awhile that sounded good but need all kinds of work) I really wanna get an apple- maybe not with protools, but Audio Desk bundled with a brand new Motu interface might be the ticket for me.

What resolution and bit rate do you have the best luck at?  I can only get my studio to multitrack at 20 bit 48khz (I still use my adat cause I have latency problems)... but I have that apogee dithering software (UV22) that does a good job.  I also run the ozone 3 mastering stuff.

Do you have any noticable latency?  That is something I have a problem with.

Thanks and great pics!

Drumlooney

Hey thanks for all the nice words, I like my little space.

Felix the board is awesome, it's soooo warm you would love it, in your words "It's the Cats Pajamas" LOL.  My good friend has the Adams I belive the are the 2.5 or something like that they are awesome I'm sure you will love them.

The Joe Meek is a two channel Pre with a Compressor and Eq built in nice peace of gear, the best thing is that I can connect it through SP/DIF which give me two extra channels on Pro-tools. ( I just realized that I had the other rack with all the pre's closed, I'll take pics of those later)

I like the Blue, especially for Male vocals which is why I had it up, I'm doing some vocals with this guy who has a low voice, it works great for that application.

I'm running both Pro-Tools 6.9 and DP 4.6 but I do most of my work on PT.  As far as resolution and bit rate I don't go higher then 20 44.8 although I have the capability to go up to 96k I don't do anything that requires it.  But I'm going to see how far I can push it and get back to you.

I really don't have Latency problems unless I'm running a few of the big waves stuff.  I have Waves Diamond and I'm still learing a lot of those plugs.  Are you having latency issues b/c of soft ware or is it your Machine?

Anyway thanks again guys.

felix

Honestly I don't know man.  I think it's my software and my machine.  So I've gone to just taping on the adat and if I need more tracks, I'll mix down to two and open up 6 more.  When they are all done I mix in the computer.

When I'm just goofing around I go direct into my computer.

yeah, you have to have a little space... every drummer and musician/artist should.

smoggrocks

that is sexy, baby!!

truly mind-boggling. i only have a kit in my studio  :)

but the dude who had the space before me left a mountain of equipment in there, so i should see what's what and maybe i can get my hands on some. then i could say things like 'latency' 'motu interface' and 'cats pajamas,' like felix! ;D

felix

You mean some dude left you a bunch of gear?    Definitely tell us what it is!

I hope you never have to deal with the latency word.  Jitter is another bad word, and since only one piece of my gear has a word clock I am prone to PLENTY of it if my digital gear doesn't feel like having a conversation with each other!

Definitely take some pics of it and we will help you get you dialed in smoggy.

I'm no Bob Clearmountain (famous engineer) but it's really not that tough to at least get some signal recorded.

If there is a will there is a way!!!!

felix

Yeah Looney, is that a Presonus 8 channel to your left?  I thought you were only a "Great River" kinda pre amp guy.

All I hear is "presonus presonus" now.  I guess they are making a big splash.

Drumlooney

It's not a pre it's an 8 channel compressor limiter, it's pretty sweet.  I do have a presonus pre which you can't see.  Smoggy let us know what you have, I'm sure we can make it work for you, BTW felix you might want to get an inexpensive clock like a Lucid Genx6 that might help you with clocking issues.  

smoggrocks

Quote from: felix on September 14, 2005, 02:22 PM
You mean some dude left you a bunch of gear?    Definitely tell us what it is!

yah. when i got the space, the landlord put me in a different room than i'd first seen. it was smaller but in a better location. the room is filled to the gills with stuff. i honestly don't know what it all is, but there's a small keyboard in there and what looks like a giant rack of stuff designed to deal with midi sequencing. [looks similar to what i think of as 'outboard' gear]. there's also a turntable. i assumed all this meant this dude was producing some kinda electronic music or loops or something like that, so i wasn't sure it would meet my needs. but there are two really nice speakers in there i wouldn't mind getting my hands on. the real surprise was when i picked up the faxline phone, there was a dial tone!

all this led me to think i must be sharing space with another person, unbeknownst to me. but there hasn't been a stitch of activity beyond me. two wine glasses have been sitting there forever, with wine residue baked-in. a note someone left hasn't budged. a man's suit is still on the hanger.

at some point in the near future, i'll ask to have this stuff removed, but i didn't make a big stink about it coz i'm curious about the gear, and i want to make sure i'm there for a while and on continued good terms with the landlord. then i can start making requests and such.

felix

You know DL I would LOVE to buy an apogee big ben but only one piece of gear I have has a word clock input and that is my focusrite 4 pak (i forget the model #) 428 I think.

so it's all synched with light pipe cable, individual settings/radio buttons and 9 pins... it ain't pretty but it works!

Drumlooney

Quote from: felix on September 14, 2005, 06:10 PM
You know DL I would LOVE to buy an apogee big ben but only one piece of gear I have has a word clock input and that is my focusrite 4 pak (i forget the model #) 428 I think.

so it's all synched with light pipe cable, individual settings/radio buttons and 9 pins... it ain't pretty but it works!

Count me in on the Big Ben wish list, along with the Apogge DA and AD converters

MUSIKxDRUMR

Quote from: Drumlooney on September 15, 2005, 07:42 AM
Count me in on the Big Ben wish list, along with the Apogge DA and AD converters

Heck yes!!! I just scored my Apogee AD16x converter, which has the Big Ben technology intertwined! It is nothing less than AMAZING! I also just grabbed a Soundcraft 'Ghost' console and it's leaps and bounds better than my Behringer console could have ever dreamed to be! Now that I have my dream gear (for the price range), my band is going to start recording our debut album. I'll be sure to share it with you guys when its completed.--

felix

Hey Musik those are some sahweet pieces of gear.

I have been a big fan of the sound craft ghost boards since the mid 90's.  I'm jealous man!

There is a 24 for 2300 in california that I'm seriously thinking about picking up for my studio.

Drumlooney

The apogee is a sweet piece of gear Musik it's my next big purchase, and the ghost is definitely a nice board, I have a buddy in NY who has one and loves it, Felix let me know what board you end up getting, the ghost is not a bad option.

felix

yeah, it's a 24 x 8 though which is so freakin' big.

Have you heard a manley 8+8 yet?

This would be sweet, especially in my control room since I basically have no room

Drumlooney

Quote from: felix on September 16, 2005, 08:43 AM

Have you heard a manley 8+8 yet?

No but I bet it's killer, they make great pre's I've heard their "slam" OMG, what a great piece of gear.