• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

New Old School Metronome

Started by felix, September 21, 2005, 01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

I've always wanted one of these- I finally found one in a little music store in Akron last weekend so I had to buy it.  This company has been in business over 100 years!   :):

It has such a lovely sound to the ear.  It currently resides on my piano.  It runs about 20 minutes before you have to wind it up again.  Believe me, I enjoy the break in my practice routine.

Hope you liked my new metronome! ;D

MUSIKxDRUMR

That's freakin rad! I've always wanted one of those as well! My piano teacher used one when I was a kid, and that sound has always been pleasing to me. MUCH more than my annoying digital click within Pro Tools  :(

felix

yeah, these things have soul- it's cool.  With this little guy *only about 3" high* you could put it in your pocket and have your groove on where ever.

MUSIKxDRUMR

Quote from: felix on September 21, 2005, 01:08 AM
you could put it in your pocket and have your groove on where ever.

LOL!!! I'd like to mic that little guy up and sample the click. I've been miserable recording lately because my click just KILLS my ear drums. It sounds like a hearing test on crack.

Stewart Manley

We have one at home in a slightly different case, which we bought about ten years ago after my daughter started the piano.

The nicest ones are those in the pyramidal wooden cases.

Jon E

This one is even "cooler"!! (man, how can I be SO funny)

Jon E

Here's the one I grew up with.

Classic!

felix

*click-click-click*  he he he

I like the big ol honkin' old schoolers man.  You can listen to them all day with no ear fatigue it seems.

ok back to werk.

Jon E

It was actually more of a "thak-thak-thak" sort of sound.  A piece of metal on a stick slapping againt the inside wall of the 'nome (yes, I took one apart to see how it worked!!). ::)

James Walker

Quote from: Jon E on September 21, 2005, 06:24 AM
Here's the one I grew up with.

Classic!

Yeah, a "classic," but not the most durable piece of equipment, IIRC.  One good bump, and everything thereafter was in 5/16 time...(tak-tak.....tak-tak....tak-tak...)  ;)

Tony

Wow, 2 blasts from the past!!  Jon E.....my percussion professor in college swore by the Franz!!  We had a least 6 of them floating around the practice rooms!!

Felix, the Super Mini Taktell (the red one in your pic), I have one, had it for years.  I've lost the winder piece, you know the one that pops of the side and sits on the front when you put the cover on?  If you come across one, that would be great!  Let me know, so I can order one.

smoggrocks

those are great! and jon e., you are SO the king of cheese! gotta love it.

we had the wooden 'pyramidal' ones when we were young.

wasn't there a famous movie with fred astaire where he listens to the metronome then starts to dance with a coatrack in time to the click? i seem to have some vague recollection of that. maybe it was just the coatrack, no 'nome. but i recall a 'nome.

felix

Hey Tony, maybe just email wittner.  PM me if you need the address, I think there is contact information on the little pamphlet that came with the thing.

They probably sell them all the time.

Like I said, mine is on my piano, but IIRC you like to practice on your drum pad during lunch now and again.  This would be a really cool click for that.  You might want to get the cover if you lost that too so you can put it in your pocket a bit friendlier. :)

Tony

Got your PM and had no idea what you were talking about!! Ignore my reply to it.  Thanks for the info.