• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Are drummers kinda dense?

Started by Paicey, October 02, 2005, 05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

In the public school systems ... when testing kids to figure out which musical instrument they should play ... they typically always pick those students who have the highest IQ and/or grades. If you need me to explain why, I'll be happy to, or you can just accept the facts.

When in the recording studio, you'd be surprised just how many former/current drummers are also producers and/or engineers.

99.99% of the time, I am the one explaining and leading all of the other musicians in the band. I'm explaining form, arrangements, chords, timing, etc. When I work with national artists, they may not even know me prior to hiring me, but they ALWAYS look at me first when needing explanation about the music.

drummers for the most part will pound on anything.
Actually we are so creative that we are always looking for new sounds and ideas for our music.

To many drummers notice no difference between birch and maple.
The majority do know the difference, but we've learned to make use with what we have to work with rather than agonize over it.

drummers put whatever head is on sale on their kits.
Oh right, and that's why so many guitarists are using Peavey; got to have the "right" sound.

Drummers use whatever stick is around
Actually it's because we CAN use whatever is around. Our technique is developed to the point that we can make music and execute whatever we need to do without being hindered by an apparatus that isn't our first choice. Just because we don't whine about everything doesn't mean we don't care or notice.

You know where im going with this.
Yes, yes I do. You are purposefully trying to create enemies by slandering drummers on drum forum with a bunch of false generalizations.

Here's a generalization for you ... drummers tend to get along more than any other instrumentalist. We tend to quarrel less and genuinely enjoy learning and exchanging information with one another. All of these traits are rarely seen with guitartists.

Christopher

I think its a real shame that you guys are wasting your precious time and effort by presenting well thought, intelligent arguments in response to such a moronic load of steaming gorilla dung.

Danno

Quote from: Paicey on October 02, 2005, 05:51 PM
You know where im going with this. I honestly think drummers as a rule seem to be the most uninformed members musically.

Also from Paicey, in the "Overrated - Underrated" thread --
"I cant believe the prices used DW drums bring on ebay and the Signia equivilent is nearly passed by in comparison. Its confirmed that drummers are the most gullible folk on earth."

The most uninformed members musically ...the most gullible folk on earth ...

All except for you, right?

DWdrmr

Let's see.................the last band I played with, the guitar player picked up my Humes&Berg cases by the strap that hold the lid on for 6 months before he realized there's a handle on the side..............

DWdrmr

so,drums are "drums"...........maybe to a guitar player ;)

Tony

Quote from: Bart on October 04, 2005, 01:49 PM
Here's a generalization for you ... drummers tend to get along more than any other instrumentalist. We tend to quarrel less and genuinely enjoy learning and exchanging information with one another. All of these traits are rarely seen with guitartists.

I just wanted to address this, since you were dead on about the other stuff ;D

I have found a number of drummers in my community who I hang out with.  In the sense that we get together for coffee and talk drums, exchange ideas, etc.  None of us are "better" than the others, but each of us has strong and weak points.  We share exercises, give mini-lessons to one another and loan each other gear as needed.  

One of these guys is also a multi-instrumentalist, music over achiever.  He spent 8 years in the military as a drummer in a marching band and base jazz band.  He's not much of a rock or funk drummer.  I am, so we help each other become stronger all around players.  I never marched, had no experience in that field and have gained more insight than ever over the last year.

Recently, I was in need of a bass player.  I asked the local bass teacher/music store guy if he ws interested in joining this group I have sort of put together, but he's not interested.  His suggestion?  My drumming buddy.  He tells me the guy has been studying bass with him for 2 years, can read and play and in fact, has taken HIS place in their church band as bassist (commitment issues.)  So I did, and its worked out great.  The added bonus is my desire to learn proper hand drumming is fulfilled, because not only is the guy a drummer I can relate to rhythmically, but he plays and owns a set of congas, and a variety of other hand drums, etc.
He's brought therm up, and we are in the proces of layering percussion parts to create some loops to drop into out original songs.  

The point of this rambling is that my recording studio partner (a guitarist) seems a bit baffled by the harmonious nature of this arrangement.  Of course, he's a guitarist!!

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: DWdrmr on October 04, 2005, 05:52 PM
Let's see.................the last band I played with, the guitar player picked up my Humes&Berg cases by the strap that hold the lid on for 6 months before he realized there's a handle on the side..............

Ever watch a guitarist, or anyone other than a drummer, for that matter, try to fold up a cymbal stand?  It's to the point where I hate when people try to help out, since it ends up being MORE work.

Rusty Beckett

I'm sitting at my desk reading this stuff and laughing my ... off.  (a handle- wow  - how funny!)

I've also seen great communication and friendships between drummers and have heard players of other instruments picking at each other.  One thing about musicians - you'll always find some with egos so big you have to wonder how they can stand themselves and others (usually monstor players too) as humble, nice and willing to share what they know as possible.  

gretschdrummer

I wonder why Paicey doesn't reply. . .  ???

Louis Russell

Quote from: Bart on October 04, 2005, 01:49 PM

Congrats Bart!  Excellent post.  Your comments express my feelings much better than my horse dookie comment.  

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Louis on October 05, 2005, 11:55 AM
Congrats Bart!  Excellent post.  Your comments express my feelings much better than my horse dookie comment.  

Tony

Bart, your animation makes me giggle  :)

DWdrmr

Maybe I was too hard on my former colleage....he was just trying to help. Louis's re-post of Bart's comment  made me think about that...hmmm...NAHHHH,lol..JK. Honestly,the other guys in the band generally would LOVE to help us...but all they're going to do is move your memory locks,"handle" your cymbals,etc. Their hearts are in the right place,they just don't have a clue about setting up and tearing down........ I do it all myself except for the mics