• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What is your 'other' occupation?

Started by Crash, September 27, 2005, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveR

That's me on the right with my boss on the left...

felix

I am in the rubber and plastics business.  I don't just sell my custom sound barriers to the AV room and studio markets but I get into the automotive and trucking markets also.  It's allright.  One of these days I might hit pay dirt but it's pretty much hand to mouth now.  I'm pretty much my own boss so that's nice.  I don't know how long I'll keep doing it.  I really like getting out to the construction sites, building, wiring, little contracting and would like to get into more of the construction aspect of it.  Freaking economy in Ohio sucks though.  I gotta get down to Florida soon.

Todd Norris

Quote from: SteveR on September 30, 2005, 01:59 PM
That's me on the right with my boss on the left...

If you could just go ahead and do that right now, that would be greaaat.

Oh man, that movie hits close to home!

maestro

Professional Student ;D   I study applied maths and plan on doing a masters in numerical methods and signal processing next year.  I've been in contact with a student who did a masters in automatic music transcription and plan to continue the work - possibly on stochastic models for tempo tracking and rhythm transcription.

I'll keep you all posted on my research - perhaps even call on you for some help when I need test samples seeing that I do not have a studio myself...

Dave Heim

I'm the Information Systems Manager for a reinsurance company - we insure other insurance companies.  

I also do photography on the side and for the past 15 years I've been an educational volunteer (docent) at Brookfield Zoo near Chicago.

Chip Donaho

Main Job....Warehouse (sucks! Low pay, health ins. coverage is reason for being there.)
2nd Job....Musician (Would love to make my living playing, but no health coverage. Most of the money earned goes back into my gear.  ;)  )
3rd Job....Work some weekends at motocross tracks in MN as a checkered flag person or rules official. Do the checkers at a National Championship in Ponca City, OK. each July for a week. This is my working vacation! I haven't taken a real vacation since 1979.  
4th Job....Volunteer work for AMA Dist.23 (MX Vice Chairman-write and enforce racing rules)
5th Job....Roofing (I owned a roofing company for several years and loved being self employed. Wife hated it as health insurance was my main reason for getting out. I still take on an occational roof to purchase such things as a Craviotto. I make a point of NOT giving that money to my wife. I know, it's greed. Works for me!  ;D )

That's it....Outside of my warehouse job, I play as much as possible. I'm considering quitting the warehouse work and going back to being self employed again. I loved being in business and my wife hated it. But that may change sooner than she would like. If I get fired or quit I have several options of jobs. But health coverage is the problem....Seems like I work more for the insurance company and gas than any other thing. Sucks!   ::)

B

Cook/busboy/dishwasher/everything at a bar. It's the Typhoon Lounge in Montreal. Stop by sometime!

drumwild

I'm a Quality Assurance Engineer for myspace.com. I get to break things and be a cat wrangler.

Between that and drumming with 4 bands, I haven't had as much time to keep my pimp skillz honed... but I hear it's like riding a bike.

Crash

Quote from: Tony on September 30, 2005, 11:52 AM

'Nuff said?

Wow!  I had no idea that Jules  played drums!!!  We should be thankful that we're not this guy:   http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45322-2004Aug29.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45322-2004Aug29.html   Now ain't that some repugnant s#!%!!?!!?   ;D

Tiki

I'm a carney for a traveling side show. Sometimes I fill in for the lobster boy( kind of explains my approach to playing drums). Life long dream: jelly/ custard installer for Dunkin Donuts.

No glass ceilings for me!

Tiki out!

DWdrmr

I'm a "brewer" for Anheuser-Busch.......last 28 years. Been playing last 17 years minus 4 years when I was a teenager that I don't really count because I did'nt spent the time to learn the ABC's of playing...paradiddles,double stroke,triplets,ratamaques etc.But,that wasnt the question..........I filter beer and put it in 15,00 gal tanks and draw taste samples before it goes to bottle and can lines..........and I push those nasty yeast covered beechwood chips out of used chiptanks,clean and wash the beechwood and restuff the tank. Not the greatest job but it has allowed me to buy anything I want,pretty much.What else could you ask for in a day job??

SteveR

Quote from: DWdrmr on October 04, 2005, 08:16 PMI filter beer and put it in 15,00 gal tanks and draw taste samples before it goes to bottle and can lines

You are my new hero.  

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I used to be in the food preserving business, but things got a little stale.

....ooh, gosh I'm sorry.

DWdrmr

Quote from: SteveR on October 05, 2005, 08:27 AM
You are my new hero.  
I see you're easily amused....JK...you should have seen me in the late '70s to the mid '80s....double tap keg dispenser in the..........lunchroom and those taste samples?...one for the brewmaster,one fer....you get the idea. And then there was the party on the roof at 10pm every night. It was every young mans dream,but sometimes,push comes to shove....I don't do that anymore and I don't drink when I gig. You gotta have priorities...and for me,it's to spend my remaining time I can play productively, with other musicians. You can't play, say for instance, Godsmack covers when you're all frigged up,at least I can't.maybe  you young guys can...lol. When everything is cookin' and the music sounds good,and the audience is digging it,there is NO artificial high that compares to that,IMHO.

Tripsleft

Director of a research firm....whoopee!

"You've been missing a lot of work lately"

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob"

smoggrocks

say, did you hear the one about the orange who lost his job at the juice factory?

he couldn't concentrate!

ba-DUMB-crash! ;D

this thread is an excellent antidote to...work. my cheeks hurt from laughing so much.

the ones on my FACE, i mean! :P

Jon E

Well, I used to work in the M&M factory but I got fired.  I kept throwing away all the W's.

Hey-Oh!

Dave Heim

In addition to my work in IT, I also collect bad jokes. . .

Then I worked in the woods as a lumberjack, but I just couldn't hack it, so they gave me the axe.

After that I tried to be a tailor, but I just wasn't suited for it, mainly because it was a so-so job.

Next I tried working in a muffler factory but that was too exhausting.

Then I tried to be a chef, figured it would add a little spice to my life, but I just didn't have the thyme.

I attempted to be a deli worker, but anyway I sliced it, I couldn't cut the mustard.

My best job was being a musician, but eventually I found I wasn't noteworthy.

I studied a long time to become a doctor, but I didn't have any patience.

Next was a job in a shoe factory; I tried but I just didn't fit in.

I became a professional fisherman, but discovered that I couldn't live on my net income.

I managed to get a good job working for a pool maintenance company, but the work was just too draining.

So then I got a job in a workout center, but they said I wasn't fit for the job.

After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as an historian, until I realized there was no future in it.

(my apologies for the derailment)

sletti

sounds like me...
tried to start a bakery but just couldn't raise enough dough

hankster

i work for a housing authority, low income and elderly.  i do repairs and rehab apartments.