• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onmyown

watching him play the halftime show only made it worse.
i just dont get it...

he must look in the mirror every morning and thank his lucky stars

that is all

Joe

onmyown

watching him play is just kinda disturbing...hes looks really stiff.

also he rarely hits the hihat and snare at the same time...

not saying he doesnt do his job, just that he bothers me.

oh and is that some sort of china hes has mounted just above his rack tom?

again...kinda bothers me

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 10:47 AM
hes looks really stiff.  

He may be a little stiff because he's 64 and just got over a bout with throat cancer.  

His hi-hat snare drum thing has been going on since they've been around.  It's odd, but it's his style.

Joe

Well, it's a little better understood now that you've defined your stance. :)

I had forgotten about his throat cancer.  Wasn't he always a bit "stiff", though?  I suppose that if he were to flop around more, he couldn't set a good groove.

I believe that omitting the hi-hat stroke simultaneously with the snare drum is a way of accenting the stroke by merely increasing its presence, rather than volume which would deliver little more than a "crack".  It's a nice distictive sound, IMHO.

Generally I'm not a fan of china cymbals, but he plays his well.  Your mileage varies, I'm sure.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 10:47 AM

oh and is that some sort of china hes has mounted just above his rack tom?

I would suggest that you are letting little things that don't matter ... well, bother you.

Who is to say that you must hit the Snare and HiHat at the same time? Since when does a cymbal placement really matter?

Sorry that it bothers you, but I can think of a lot of other things that are worth being concerned about when it comes to playing drums.

Being stiff is a good concern, but like mudlark pointed out, the guy is in his mid-60's and has had major health issues. Playing drums is the most physical instrument you can play. I say ... give the guy a break!

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2006, 11:00 AM
I had forgotten about his throat cancer.  Wasn't he always a bit "stiff", though?  
Yeah, once I wrote that it dawned on me that he's always appeared a bit "stiff" when he plays.  That's just pretty much Charlie Watts.

He plays what's required of a good Rolling Stones tune.  

Heck, Mick and the boys aren't a whole ot easier to look at than Charlie is. At least Charlie is always nattily attired!

Joe

Quote from: mudlark on February 06, 2006, 11:06 AM
Heck, Mick and the boys aren't a whole ot easier to look at than Charlie is. At least Charlie is always nattily attired!

Yes.  I like his contrast.

And, if we may temporarily broaden the definition of "attire" to include his drumkit, I'd like to insert that I love seeing his Gretsch drums that he's had for I-don't-know-how-long.

I've yet to really hear his big band stuff.  All in all, though, he's an enjoyable drummer to watch, and I've always loved his bass drum sound.

Jon E

oh brother.........

how many times is this thread going to be started???!!!

charlie watt's style is old news--even on this board.

Dave Heim

Quote from: mudlark on February 06, 2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, once I wrote that it dawned on me that he's always appeared a bit "stiff" when he plays.  That's just pretty much Charlie Watts.

He plays what's required of a good Rolling Stones tune.  

Charlie always looks distinguished.  The other guys always look like they were ridden hard and put away wet.

Joe

Quote from: speedking on February 06, 2006, 11:20 AM
Yea I had a good laugh watching them geezers play last night...

A genuine thought I had while watching Mick Jagger last night...

"Man.  I want to be that kind of geezer when I grow up.".

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Jon E on February 06, 2006, 11:11 AM
oh brother.........
how many times is this thread going to be started???!!!
charlie watt's style is old news--even on this board.

Advice:

Quote from: Jon E on February 06, 2006, 11:15 AM
take a pill.

;)

onmyown

not saying he doesnt do his job...not saying his "cymbal placement" is a problem...just bothersome to watch him play...hahah

who knew it would get such a rise.

also im 26 and dont really remember what the "young" charlie was like.

Joe

Quote from: speedking on February 06, 2006, 11:48 AM
he was the same! go to drummerworld.com...

Speaking of...

They have  http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/charliewattssuperbowl.html]video  already.

Mr. Castiglioni is fast.  Yes, there's a bobble at the beginning; I like it anyway. :)

Dave Heim

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 11:30 AM

also im 26 and dont really remember what the "young" charlie was like.

Younger, less gray, more carefree, more nimble.  They even named a fragrance (and some angels) after him!  :)

JeepnDrummer

The way someone else plays really bothers you that much?  Why expend the energy?  

Joe

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 11:30 AM
who knew it would get such a rise.

I think most of us... ;)

Quotealso im 26...

So am I.

onmyown

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on February 06, 2006, 11:58 AM
The way someone else plays really bothers you that much?  Why expend the energy?  

just thought i would toss it out there.... see others opinions.

id say it was worth it..i learned alittle about the man, the myth, the legend..

i think

onmyown

however his snare sounded pretty good...i only got a brief glance at it but it looked like dw.

Joe

Others more informed could tell meââ,¬"is he still using his 8 x 14" ?  Hopefully he just chose this drum so it would cut through what is essentially an airplane hangar....sounded good, though, yes.