• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Can you read music?

Started by teachesintx, March 15, 2006, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FindingNorthport

NO, I can't read music.. I just learn by ear and natural ability. I have been playing for 10 years, and I am 20 now. I have never had a lesson, nor did I think it was necessary to learn to read music. If you can do without it, why waste your time.

Mark Counts

Hi TravisFitch,
I agree with you on the fact that you choose to be self taught.
So am I but, I will only say this one time.  Some lessons might have had speeded the process up?  I am 45 and I wish I was this good when I was 25. Keep on going!!!  I believe that drummers get better with age because of time or hours behind the kit.  It is a physical instrument so when we get older, it will challange us and we will keep playing as long as we can.
Carl Palmer turned 56 yesterday and I still think he is one of the best drummers in the world. Take Care,
                                        Nutty

DougB

Quote from: drumnut1 on March 21, 2006, 10:43 PM
Carl Palmer turned 56 yesterday and I still think he is one of the best drummers in the world.

I thought Palmer would have been older.

Mark Counts

Carl Frederick Kendall Palmer was born in Birmingham, England, on March 20th, 1950.  From the beginning it was clear that music was in the stars for the young Carl Palmer. http://www.carlpalmer.com/carl-bio.html.
Here is Carl's link if you want to know more about him?
                       Nutty

justdave01

Not quite fully sight, but yes with about 10 minutes with it.

Joe

Quote from: TravisFitch on March 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
If you can do without it, why waste your time[?]

To be able to do more with It.

By the way, I can read rhythm notation, bass clef and treble clefââ,¬"all rather slowly.  So, that would qualify as a "yes".

onuspro

Not the first note.  I, too, chose to be self-taught in my formative years, relying on my ears and eyes to pick things up.  To tell the truth, after 17 years of playing, my biggest regret is not getting a formal education.  When it comes to the basics, I don't know s**t from shinola.  Does my playing suffer from it?  Absolutely.  To this day I can't muster a paradiddle faster than 120 bpm.  I've been voted the fastest feet in South Carolina after a Battle of Bands.  My playing has been described as "rock solid" and "tastefully creative", and "a musically genetic mix of Portnoy and Vinnie Paul." (a dubious claim, but hey, I'll take it, written by a local magazine writer that was a friend and kind of biased towards my band anyway, but that's a separate story)  If only they knew how ignorant I really am.  To not know basics that everyone else is taught from the beginning is downright sad.   You bet I wish I had that bag of tricks to draw from.

DWdrmr

I, sadly, must say that I...have only a rudimental..NO,..a less than Music 101 ability to read drum notation. I started  taking lessons the last part of '05 for rudiments and sight reading skills, and came to the conclusion that for me the old.. listen to the song till you get it, and, for original music...listen to the song till you get it  ::), works. I play out 3 or 4 nights a week and practice time is getting rare.
My mother sent me to piano lessons when I was 11 for about 6 months. The only instrument I have ever wanted to play was drums..when that became evident to her,(I did'nt practice) I was left to my own devices.
At this point, where it is a pure hobby, and no chance of ever doing anything with music professionally, it really does'nt warrant lessons to learn how to read, nor does it matter outside of a purely academic
endeavor... for me.

Chip Donaho

Yes, I had to read all drum/percussion music in both school and Army band. But I have to admit it's been a while. But it's about time to drag out the old "Haskel-Harr" books and teach my grandson. Most of the bands I've played with for covers couldn't read a newspaper let alone music. Now you've got me thinking....Where's my old "Conneticut Halftime"?, that was a favorite workout.    :)

Benjamin8888i

I used to play without notes and I literally cracked myself up trying to play beats that I didn't know were off beat syncopated. I was wondering WHYYYYYYY I can't seems to play the hi-hat part properly with the snare part or bass drum little did I realized today that they were off beat syncopated patterns which I was trying to play.

Today, with my skills of reading drum notes and understanding; it has all helped me to identify and to correct those beats which I attempted to play last time. Now it is as easy as ever! I also learned that they were hard rock beats with steady eights on the hi-hat and some snare parts on the e & ah and dotted sixteen bass lines. No wonder I couldn't seems to get them right last time.

Learning to read drum notations has helped me to play beats that I would otherwise have never have been able to figure out in a lifetime!! I can still remember I almost freak out last time trying to play a rock pattern that involves the bass drum to play on the
((1) e (+) ah  2 e (+) (ah) (3) e (+) ah 4 e + ah) and the snare part to be played on the
(1 e (+) ah 2 e + ah 3 (e) + ah (4) e + (ah)) with straight eights on the hi-hat. I thought it was insane! I was wondering how to combine them? I seems to know it yet couldn't play it!! ;D

Reading drum notes is very important for my success; I come to realize it. :o

BigBillInBoston

Yes, all kinds of drum parts reasonably well "at sight" and  basic melodic notation. No music theory or skills to speak of on melodic instruments (percussive or otherwise).

Can't imagine why reading drum charts (at least) isn't a good thing for any drummer no matter how "naturally" talented they are. It allows you to learn techniques, grooves, fills and "sticking" that can not be easily discerned from listening and more improtantly, lets you play with people and songs you are not familiar with.

In my younger days I worked for an entertainment agency and did everything from big band jazz to rock to local productions of broadway shows to playing for Circuses (yes, that was fun  ;D). Can't do that without the ability to read cause in most cases you don't know what you'll be playing before you show-up.

BigBill

Benjamin8888i

Btw, I forgot to mention one very important aspect of reading music from my experience;

I can never play Jazz beats and appreciate it if not because of reading. Ultimately I learned one of my favourate music piece which is Jazz, totally from reading. Honestly speaking, I can never play Jazz beats properly without reading:D Now I have opened myself to a whole new world of Jazz drumming which is so different from straight rock; and I didn't know it was so nice/cool!

lilblakdak

Not anymore.
Learned how over 20yrs ago and havent used it since.  In the genre I play in its very and I mean very rarely brought up.

mississippithunder

Just cause the blind man cant read the sign that says toilet dont mean he dont know how to use it ;)

drumwild

I do know how to read. Started reading trumpet music in 1st grade, and moved on to drum music long before I got to college to study Percussion Arts. And Theory is definitely way different, but I learned how to read for ALL the clefs as a part of that.

Reading hasn't been required too much for me. Although one time a well-known drummer friend (whom I won't name) threw a gig my way because it required reading. Paid $1,000 per day and lasted for 9 days. In this situation, I was glad that I could read.

Tony

Quote from: drumwild on April 26, 2006, 09:33 AM
I do know how to read. Started reading trumpet music in 1st grade, and moved on to drum music long before I got to college to study Percussion Arts. And Theory is definitely way different, but I learned how to read for ALL the clefs as a part of that.

Reading hasn't been required too much for me. Although one time a well-known drummer friend (whom I won't name) threw a gig my way because it required reading. Paid $1,000 per day and lasted for 9 days. In this situation, I was glad that I could read.

Similar experiences.  I am not required to read very often, but it makes it easier for me to make notes as I develop charts for tunes on a session.  But more importantly, I end up getting very lucrative one offs because of my reading skills.  

Whenever a drummer is needed in or around the Gump, and it requires chart reading, I'm usually one of a handful that gets the call.

Reading can only open more doors.  Notes are the language of our craft;   why limit yourself?

Dave Heim

Quote from: mississippithunder on April 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
Just cause the blind man cant read the sign that says toilet dont mean he dont know how to use it ;)

True, but the guy who can see is more likely to nail the activity properly every time - with less of a chance of um. . .  missing the target.

DrummerMom

spirit

I can, was lucky to be taught how to by my drum teacher in school, he was an ex bbc drummer in the days when they had big bands playing for them, he was called Micky Greaves, a great man since sadly passed on.

He taught me, every beat you can imagine, all the latin and then some, from there I have built on what he has taught me and am and will be always grateful to him for the gift he gave me!

;D

I dont read much now and I play blues in a band. Have a look!
www.blues-is-truth.co.uk

armitage

yes, i can read and play sheet music, and read music for piano, most brass instruments, pitched percussion, and a few other things here and there.