• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Here we go again ...

Started by Bart Elliott, March 17, 2006, 05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Hey Dave,
I do have pictures of my son on my kit at 9 months, but they are not floating around the internet.  These pictures are more for him to see when he gets older.  Honestly, he is not good enough for me to show anyone. The other child that had been playing for 9 years that was 12 or 14 years old, now that was a good drummer for a child but I bet he had more resources than any of us. There are people that have been playing for years that couldn't have touch that solo. I have to admit that watching a 23 month old tap on a set of drums was not a waste of my time for me.  I did crack a smile!!!
                                 Nutty

SlimChance

"Good lord! That entire family is scary:0"

Nicely put.

Jay Northrop

If I even remotely though anything like this would gain attention I would have told my sister about 3 years ago. My nephew loves the drums ( ever since he saw my kit ) and actually plays on a kit my sister and bro-in-law got him. And for 3 years old he can play your basic beat. Nothing fancy...he more or less literally bangs around like said video prodigy child here.But again like you all have stated he does nothing that any child of that age could do. Now if this kid was playing in 3/4 time and switched to 4/4 and naturally did it and knew he did...now that would be something. But just banging....he is about 1 in a ( however many kids play dads / moms drum kit )

Scott

Quote from: SlimChance on April 24, 2006, 02:39 PM
"Good lord! That entire family is scary:0"
Nicely put.

I don't know about anyone else, but this whole thing sounds like (and looks like) an episode of the Sopranos.   :D

Bart Elliott

Don't answer the door ... it's Nunzio!

Dave Heim

Quote from: Scott on April 25, 2006, 03:26 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but this whole thing sounds like (and looks like) an episode of the Sopranos.   :D

Ay!  You gotta problem wit dat?

chillman4130

THIS pretty much says it all as to why he is not actually playing the drums, and only has a marginal grasp that he is even doing anything at all:

In my opinion, if you haven't quite developed teeth, you haven't quite developed talent.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 24, 2006, 11:39 AMYoungest kid to type a message on an internet forum (see below)...[/i]

foEeNiOIUGKr5
8hWoiGKhaR3pt8uE]
893hijJJf4Vli5HFt

Jeez, doesnââ,¬â,,¢t anyone use punctuation or type in complete sentences without using chat talk anymore?   ;D  

Bob Bartley

OK I'm bringing up this old post because HE IS BACK!!!! and it is to unbelievable to not pass on. Check out what was in the local paper today......  http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/111406/loc_2006111422.shtml

A REALITY SHOW??????? What will his parents do next? What cut did they promise this Mike Powell guy??

Get your 1 year olds playing that guitar, Julian needs a band!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Todd Norris

You said it Bongo... 

I'm sorry, but I don't see how any good can come from all this hype.   OK, the kid is adorable and he loves drums.  That's fantastic.  But the video with that bass player saying he's playing odd meters and that's he's Tony Williams reincarnated is just too much to take.  He sits and whacks things.  That's it.  The best I can say is that sometimes he's on beat with the bassist.  He doesn't seem all that different than my kids or any of the little ones at church that come up and smack the drums for a minute. 

Now, I do have to give props to the video where he gets his bass drum in the act.  He can play a beat.  That's pretty rare.  But beyond that, I'd say let him have fun for a few years, get some lessons and see where that goes.  Maybe he's the next phenom.  Maybe not. I don't know, but lets leave these fake concerts (the house of blues video) etc., out of it - for his sake. 

Dave Heim

To quoteth the Blues Brothers. . .

Jake: Book us for tomorrow night.

Maury Sline: Hold it, hold it.  Tomorrow night?  What are you talking about?  A gig like that, you gotta prepare the proper exploitation.

Elwood: I know all about that stuff.  I have been exploited all my life.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Drum4JC on November 14, 2006, 09:07 PM
You said it Bongo... 

I'm sorry, but I don't see how any good can come from all this hype.   OK, the kid is adorable and he loves drums.  That's fantastic.  But the video with that bass player saying he's playing odd meters and that's he's Tony Williams reincarnated is just too much to take.  He sits and whacks things.  That's it.  The best I can say is that sometimes he's on beat with the bassist.  He doesn't seem all that different than my kids or any of the little ones at church that come up and smack the drums for a minute. . .

No kidding.  You know how buses have windshield wipers that are independent of each other and operate at slightly different rates and most of the time they're completely out of synch with each other just doing their thing but then sometimes they get in synch with each other and then for a few seconds they either wipe exactly together or they make perfect alternating wipes like slow alternating singles?  Know what I mean?  Huh?  That's the kid.

Todd Norris

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 14, 2006, 09:24 PM
No kidding.  You know how buses have windshield wipers that are independent of each other and operate at slightly different rates and most of the time they're completely out of synch with each other just doing their thing but then sometimes they get in synch with each other and then for a few seconds they either wipe exactly together or they make perfect alternating wipes like slow alternating singles?  Know what I mean?  Huh?  That's the kid.

Good analogy!  Eventually anyone will hit the beat.  Reminds me of:  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Robyn

OK, where's this video you're talking about? Couldn't find it on the website.

robyn

Bob Bartley

It was first posted by Bart. It is on the very first page of this topic. Here it is...
http://www.littledrummerbaby.com/  Click on Video Archives at the top.

Robyn

I watched the House of Blues video--that was all I could manage. Which was the one where he plays the bass drum? He sure didn't play it in the HOB video (there was another drumset player filling in off to the side). Also, I'd say that the bass and guitarist were playing in time w/ him instead of the other way around.
How embarrassing to see this kind of spectacle. The audience whooping made me think of "The Emperor's New Clothes." I'm embarrassed for his parents too. I doubt they can see how ridiculous this appears:  "buy Julian's T-shirt! (and make us some extra dough at our kid's expense!)"  Gad. ::)

robyn

Robyn

CUTE!!!! Kid's got some chops! I esp. like the 2nd link, doin' rimclix an' everything!

Here's one of the posted comments:

"dude can u send him my way he beats the drummer i got"
Depressing tho--a 4 yr old kicks my butt!

robyn

Bob Bartley

Yes!!! That kid understands what a beat and time is. Lets sign him up to compete for little Julians job on his reality show.

Bart Elliott