• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Don't quit your day job

Started by chillman4130, March 29, 2006, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstuart

Software Engineer (Embedded Systems) at Hewlett-Packard in Vancouver, WA.

chillman4130

See? Now I'm glad I asked this question. Look how much we've learned about each other!
Keep 'em coming.

Chris

Jeff Lewallen

I started out as a lawyer but I lost a major case representing some thug named Will Brasso and they fired me as a public defender... He was an abuser and well, I'd just as soon not talk about it....  :(

Now I am a computer systems administrator and programmer but I started drumming way before I became a slave to the computer.

David Jung

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on March 30, 2006, 06:54 AM
And here I was thinking I was the only international playboy billionaire at the Drummer Cafe!  :P

I looked into it, but didn't want to take a cut in pay.

So I'm sticking with being a husband, dad and software engineer.  (Drum4JC, one of our packages is used by the band auditor group we have on the other side of the building...)

--David

Robyn

QuoteHmmm... how to make my job sound all important and stuff...  Oooh - Senior Electronic Entertainment Software Engineer.  ("Computer games programmer" will do as well )

Audball, my son would like to hang w/ you! He is 10, a complete game freak, and his dream job would be designing games!

DavefromChicago, you should plan a vacation to FL sometime. There are several places (incl. Orlando and the Keys) where you can swim w/ dolphins. We did this in Orlando when my son was 6, and we had a great time! I have the cutest pic of him kissing the prettiest girl dolphin on the snout, his *first* kiss...  But you should book it several mos. in advance. You can IM me if you want some websites.

Muddy--I've been smiling all day thinking about you going nuts on the drumkit in front of the whole school, and they're all thinking "Wow! I never knew our principal was so cool!"  It reminds me of "Back to the Future", when Marty is hanging out w/ his dad-as-a-teenager, and George mentions his interest in writing. Marty says "Get outta town! I never knew you did anything creative!" ;D

And chillman, you're right--this is a cool thread! Thanks for starting it! :)

robyn

sleepybrIghteyez

Quotehow to make my job sound all important and stuff...

Hah! OK, so instead of a painter, I am a "Color Applicator". Next week I'll be wearing my white lab coat to work, and tell my boss I need a $60k raise. hehe

Todd Knapp

Quote from: felix on March 29, 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm in Cabo now looking after Sammy's bar while he's on tour.  I just do it for free, walk around, say hi to the other billionairs, etc.  In fact, it's time to go to get back to werk.

I smack drums on a luxurious cruise ship. So my day job is to back up the bizzaro B-level celebrity du jour. Tonight it was John Davidson (from That's Incredible! and Hollywood Squares). Earlier in the week it was the lead singer from Yanni's band. Next week, it's dogs and ponies and kittens diving through flaming hoops...

As a result, I spend my free time in places like Sammy's bar in Cabo San Lucas. I'll see you on Monday, Felix? A bottle of Tecate and a shot of your worst tequila, por favor, Senor...

chillman4130

It's interesting to me that there have been no mention of technical jobs related to music, i.e. recording engineer, sound man, music retail, instrument manufacturing, acoustics designer, television sound production, etc.

I believe it was DaveFromChicago who said he used to work for Ludwig, but that was in another thread.

Dave Heim

Quote from: robyn on March 31, 2006, 10:29 PM

DavefromChicago, you should plan a vacation to FL sometime. There are several places (incl. Orlando and the Keys) where you can swim w/ dolphins. We did this in Orlando when my son was 6, and we had a great time! I have the cutest pic of him kissing the prettiest girl dolphin on the snout, his *first* kiss...  But you should book it several mos. in advance. You can IM me if you want some websites.

Thanks, Robyn.  Yes, we're heading to Orlando in June.  Disney World primarily, but we may visit Sea World, too.  We did it a couple of years ago and that really helped set the bug!  Thanks for the offer, I will PM you.

Dave Heim

Quote from: chillman4130 on April 01, 2006, 01:26 AM

I believe it was DaveFromChicago who said he used to work for Ludwig, but that was in another thread.

I worked there from 1976 to 1983.  I spent time first at Musser and then at the Ludwig drum plant.  At Musser I spent about a year learning the parts and sub-assemblies on the factory floor, in the warehouse, in shipping, design, and then in the production office where I helped get all the parts and raw materials defined into their new MRP System (Materials Requirements Planning).  

From there I went to Ludwig as a programmer.  But being one of the few drummers there I got to do music-related stuff: got a peek at new products/prototypes, road tested a few things, helped out at NAMM and the Midwest Music Festival, assisted some clinicians (Carmine Appice, Ed Shaughnessy) with set-up for their clinics.

I also did a little photography for the Chicago Tribune's marketing department around the same time.

Prior to Ludwig I worked selling band instruments for a local music store.  Prior to that I worked in a camera shop.

SlimChance

"It's interesting to me that there have been no mention of technical jobs related to music, i.e. recording engineer, sound man, music retail, instrument manufacturing, acoustics designer, television sound production, etc."

I used to manage a record store.  A long time ago.  We actually sold "records'- y'know, vinyl.  I love vinyl.

Mark Schlipper

It's interesting to me that there have been no mention of technical jobs related to music, i.e. recording engineer, sound man, music retail, instrument manufacturing, acoustics designer, television sound production, etc.

I went to school for audio engineering, and ran a small project studio for a while as part time work.   But it never panned out, and I realised it never would so about 4 years ago I dropped the effort and moved on.

drumwild

Quote from: SlimChance on April 01, 2006, 09:19 AM
"It's interesting to me that there have been no mention of technical jobs related to music, i.e. recording engineer, sound man, music retail, instrument manufacturing, acoustics designer, television sound production, etc."

I used to manage a record store.  A long time ago.  We actually sold "records'- y'know, vinyl.  I love vinyl.

MySpace has a music label. Don't know if that counts.

Oh yea, and I worked at Guitar Center for almost six weeks. Proof that it's called work even if ya don't get paid for it.

sleepybrIghteyez

QuoteIt's interesting to me that there have been no mention of technical jobs related to music

I used to work at a local music instrument shop. I've also done work for a production company in New Orleans setting up stage, light, and PA stuff. I have a project studio now, with the goal of eventually opening a commercial studio in town.

Adam's Dad

I'm currently working as the manager of the dispatch department in a construction inspection company...(wow, say that fast three times!)  It pays the bills and provides benefits, but the trade-off in stress and time is killing me.

I have recently acquired my real estate license and soon will be transitioning into the wild world of Southern California real estate.

In my former lives I have worked in music stores (including GC), sold cars, ran my own talent agency, played drums in a wedding band and owned a DJ company and sold electronic test equipment.  My current drumming activities include playing tubs in the Sunday morning worship band and with a local big band, as well as occasional percussion gigs (usually tympany and mallets) with the local community college wind ensemble and orchestra.  My jazz trio is currently working at the Ritz Carlton as a duo with out a drummer :'(.  

[edit] Oops...also worked as sales rep for Gretsch guitars and drums and also for Aria guitars.

eardrum

Oh how boring, another engineer :P  My degree is mechanical but I've worked in the electric power industry for 25 years so I'm licensed in electrical.  I started my own consulting business 12 years ago and we now have six people.  We do consulting and systems integration specializing in power management for large energy users such as universities, industrials, large commercial operations, etc in Northern CA.  Actually, I enjoy the work and it supports my family and my drumming habbit.  It is fun to hear about everyones other side....

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I've done every job you can do at local TV stations. The problem with TV is its all about news. I can't stand news, so I don't do local TV any more. Production houses are fine if you don't mind working 80 hours a week. It would be cool to work on TV shows and things like that but I don't want to live in LA or NY.

I've also been a stage hand/sound guy/lighting tech for theater, concerts and music festivals, gripped for video shoots, short films (no features) and commercials, and worked as gopher boy in a big recording studio....emptied alot of ashtrays :P

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: irate Pig on April 03, 2006, 01:13 AM
I'm a student right now but hopefully in a few years i'll either be answering this question
"im a professional drummer"
or
"i'm an international photojournalist"

Or maybe both. Nothing wrong with that.

JW Drums

Sr. System Analyst at a bank.
Not very exciting or a whole lot of fun, but it pays the bills .. and just bought me a sweet set of Yamaha MCA's  ;D

jboggs

I used to be a touring drummer but now I'm stuck at home paying the bills as a Neuromolecularpharmacologist for a fortune 500 company.  Playing was sooooo much more interesting!!!