• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

tuning vs the HVAC system

Started by kzildjianplease, May 10, 2006, 05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kzildjianplease

I play regularly for my church (Mapex Pro M with Evans coated heads) and am always struggling to keep my kit tuned the way I like.  It seems like the a/c or heat is truned off or way down, so the kit goes through lots of temperatures and various levels of humidity in our sanctuary.  ANy ideas on how to keep it ringing true?  Thanks! 8)

Dave Heim

You could try using Lug-Locks.  

But the scenario seems weird to me:  you tune up, play a service or two, leave your set at church and come back a few days later to find your set in need of tuning?  Hmmm...  How extreme are the temperature and humidity swings in the church?

Plastic heads are generally not affected by reasonable ranges of temps and humidity.  Calf heads, yes;  plastic heads - not so much.   Is it possible that someone might be fiddling with your set while you're away?

kzildjianplease

Yeah, it's not anything drastic, like a calf head would vary.  It's just enough of a different feel to the attack and sustain over the course of say 2-3 weeks.

Chip Donaho

If you have a Drum Dial just check your settings each week. That always tells me which lug/head tension has moved. Only takes a few minutes to check out. Then it wouldn't matter which heads you use. Once you have your tuning you can easily check your settings. That's where mine has paid for itself. My snare will change from gig to gig and it's easy to check. I love it for that purpose.    ;)  

spirit

Or the evans torque key will do the same and is loads cheaper - I use it to reach the same tuning at gigs without taping the drums, it works for me!

Louis Russell

Quote from: spirit on May 13, 2006, 01:29 AM
Or the evans torque key will do the same and is loads cheaper

Nope!  The torque key only measures the torque on a tuning lug.  This is influenced by many things including quality and the condition of the threads, amount of lubricant, condition of washers, and a lot more.  The tension watch or drum dial measures the actual tension of the head.  The torque key can be close under controlled conditions but there is a high probability of error.