• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Sore Knee

Started by halfstepdown88, September 20, 2006, 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfstepdown88

After playing drums my right knee hurts sometimes kills and now like even when I play hockey it hurts anyone else ever experienced this?

dizz

Are you jamming your heel into the footboard when you play heel up?

If so try to use more spring from the ankle and ball of foot.

I wouldnt imagine the knee hurting from heel down play unless your seat height is too low or something.

halfstepdown88

I'm playing heel up, I'll try and use my ankle and ball of my foot more and see what happens thanks

Absolut

it could actually be the type of shoes you wear. i used to have a problem to the extent where after playing drums for about 20 minutes, it would physically hurt to stand up. it turned out that the shoes im wearing had no arch, sent off the alignment in my ankles, and starting messing up all my joints. since then, ive gotten better shoes, and theyve fixed the problem.

halfstepdown88

Quote from: Absolut on September 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
it could actually be the type of shoes you wear. i used to have a problem to the extent where after playing drums for about 20 minutes, it would physically hurt to stand up. it turned out that the shoes im wearing had no arch, sent off the alignment in my ankles, and starting messing up all my joints. since then, ive gotten better shoes, and theyve fixed the problem.

Dude I've had my shoes for more than 2 years this may be the problem thank you

Absolut

no problem, let me know if it works

Apollo

If your still growing, check for a lump on your knee. If there is a lump there, and it's painful to touch, you may have Osgood-Schlatter Disease. It's not as bad as it sounds though, it's caused by rapid growing, and goes away after a few month.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Apollo on September 22, 2006, 11:30 AM
If your still growing, check for a lump on your knee. If there is a lump there, and it's painful to touch, you may have Osgood-Schlatter Disease. It's not as bad as it sounds though, it's caused by rapid growing, and goes away after a few month.
You are right Apollo, depending on his age.  If he is in his teens and has grown to fast the lump will show up just below the knee cap about 2 in. down.
I had a torn medial miniscus (cartlidge) a few years ago.  I had a huge gig to play in 3 to 4 months.  I made it but playing didn't really bother it.  I did take the chance of my knee locking up.  It really only hurt bad when I tried to kneel down on it.  After the surgury my doctor told me that if I could play drums without it bothering me, please do.  It is low impact excersise.
Absolut, may have something with the shoes but I can't see that really either.
There are people that play in socks, bare foot, Tennis shoes, military marching boots, Chuck Taylor Converse, beach shoes.  Not sure what to think about this?
Maybe he is sitting too low and his legs/ are not perpendicular to the floor?
Maybe he is playing very tense?  Maybe halfstepdown88 should ask a doctor?
Just a few suggestions.  Maybe one of them will help?
                        Nutty

Absolut

Nutty, for the shoe thing, i was just mentioning what worked for me, and there are people who play like that, but i was using these really bad shoes all the time, and eventually, it got to the point where i couldnt crouch down without it hurting. i just thought itd say what it was, but it might not be that.

Mark Counts

Absolut,
I am not judging, just suggesting like you and you may have hit the nail on the head. His problem may be the same as yours.
                                  Nutty