• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Norris

Hey Jinx, welcome to the Cafe!  I hope you can find some of the gems you're looking for! 

BTW, Bart will probably move this to the "Welcome" thread (in the Miscellaneous board) so don't be upset.  He just likes the board to be organized!

Schlagzeuger

Just out of curiosity, what do you have "jinx" on your screen names?

Blaemirejinx

My last name is Jenkins.....both my father and I seem have friends who bestow that as a nick name.

Chip Donaho

I'm glad you listened to Bermuda....
Any friend of his is a friend to me.   8)

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on September 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm glad you listened to Bermuda....

Me too, he would never give bad advise. 

Drum Slave Jack

Hi guys and gals
It's good to be back. It feels like ages since I came on here. Missed you all.

I've was dead busy with my college course, tough stuff. I'm doing a music course now, really enjoying it.

Pleasure to return.
Jack

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Drum Slave Jack on October 01, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hi guys and gals
It's good to be back. It feels like ages since I came on here. Missed you all.

Good to see you back Jack. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were.

Schlagzeuger

I used to be active on this website, but somehow I lost my account or password about a year ago, so I took some time off.  I think the site was undergoing renovations at the time.  A couple weeks ago I created a new account under a new name.  I can't even remember what my old screen name was, but it probably included my name Doug.  I am really glad to be back on here and already have learned some good stuff in the short time I've been back.

As a re-introduction:  I just turned 47 years old.  I started playing drums officially in college, although I beat on everything available long before that.  I started playing classic rock and taught myself to play following along to records.  I helped create a 5-peice rock band in the late 80's, which included two other co-workers (bass and guitar).  Since we all worked in the civil engineering business design roads and bridges, we named the band ROADBLOCK.

After a few years in the band I got married and had our first child.  I also started getting more serious about my faith.  So the band kind of disbanded and then reformed without me.  I was bitter for a while and totally gave up playing for a few years.  Then in 1992 I moved to a new area and joined a local church.  Each member had to fill out a talent card and list what talents you have.  I almost chuckled when I listed drumming.

A couple months later the church music director called me and said they need a drummer for the contemporary service.  I asked "what's a contemporary service?"  It was all new to me, having grown up in a very traditional hymn-based church all my life.  So I tried it out and got hooked right away.  I've been playing praise/worship music ever since for the same church.

Three years ago a bunch of current and ex-church band members threw around the idea of forming an independent praise/worship band. At that time I decided I needed new equipment.  My old stuff was used back in the mid 80's and totally beat up/crappy quality.  So I bought a 5-piece Pearl Export kit with some new cymbals.  I eventually added a Gibraltar drum rack to make things easier to port around. Since we formed the band called inneedofgrace we have played one Sunday a month at a church in the next town over.  Just last week we started a weekly Thursday night contemporary service.  Since it is too much work to lug all my drums there every Thursday night, I decided to buy some congas and percussion instruments.  Thus my screen name means percussionist in German.

Friday night our band plays at its first coffeehouse.  We have also been asked to play at another church in the near future.  Things are really getting interesting, and we get nothing but compliments everywhere we play.  I am so blessed to be able to do this as a hobby.

stevensonmat2

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt Stevenson and I'm a drummer (why does that sound familiar?..). My old forum really isn't so active as far as drumming is concerned, so my hope was to find a more involved  and knowledgeable environment. I stumbled upon this place and it looks like what I was looking for. Anyway, just figured I would say hello and I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Jon E

NY Frank

Congratulations, Matt.  You found the best drum hang on the web.

Lots of really great, really cool people.  And a few a-famous ones, too.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: New York Frank on October 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
Lots of really great, really cool people.  And a few a-famous ones, too.
Then there's the semi-famous old dogs that has been around since man made drums out of logs. Welcome aboard Matt. When I'm home this is my home away from home. As my wife calls it....  ;D

Patrick Quigley

This is def the best and most active (by far) drum forum that I've found. Welcome!

GoannaKing

Hey all, I've been playing for about 2 years now, mainly play Jazz and some rock. It's just a hobby for me and I try not to get too serious about it (good and bad;D). I just ran across this site and thought it would be fun to just talk drums.

Take care,
-Reed

Susan Wood

Just realized that I have been posting and have not introduced myself.I have been playing for the last 2 years.It is a hobby and I really love it!I take lessons, play along to cd's and play with a flutist, once a week. I am very interested in learning more, and having fun.I stumbled upon this site by accident and am really impressed with the nice, knowledgeable, and generous drummers in this forum.I have gained so much already and hopefully will have a chance to contribute as well.It is also nice to be with some older( mature?) folks as well. Susan

Todd Norris

Quote from: Susan on February 05, 2009, 05:19 PM
Just realized that I have been posting and have not introduced myself.I have been playing for the last 2 years.It is a hobby and I really love it!I take lessons, play along to cd's and play with a flutist, once a week. I am very interested in learning more, and having fun.I stumbled upon this site by accident and am really impressed with the nice, knowledgeable, and generous drummers in this forum.I have gained so much already and hopefully will have a chance to contribute as well.It is also nice to be with some older( mature?) folks as well. Susan

Older?  Maybe.  Mature?  Doubtful!   ;D  Seriously, though most of us aren't that old yet. 

Susan Wood

I guess "mature" would be a better choice of words rather than older.

NY Frank

Susan Wood

Thanks New York Frank...anyone who plays Gretsch is okay by me!
Susan

Louis Russell

Quote from: Susan on February 06, 2009, 08:30 AM
I guess "mature" would be a better choice of words rather than older.

That would depend on who you are talking about!  Many of us are seldom accused of being mature but we are old.   ;D