• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Let's See or Hear You Play!

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2008, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Share a few (one or two) audio or video examples of your playing by posting the links here! This can be recordings of your band, drum solos, grooves, etc.

Be sure to tell us a little bit about what you are playing and who you are playing with.

Nathan Cartier

Well, since Felix is here, I guess I have to put something up  ;D

We're getting some of the initial mixes back for our upcoming EP, here's one:

Hollywood
www.eekrecords.com/mp3/lna.mp3

It takes a bit for everyone to come in, the first verse is guitar and vocals only.  There's ONE instance of profanity in the bridge, for those of you who are sensitive to such things. 

I used my Hart Dynamics E-drums, Roland TD-20 Brain, with the vexpressions LTD Timeless Timber kit. 

I'll post one of the uptempo songs, once we finalize a mix. 

Nathan Cartier

PDXtaco - Nice country tune!  I'm with felix, it's not my cup of tea, but it's done well.  Are you using rods?  Nice choice to compliment the acoustic.

Donelk - The 3 of you definitely hit your stride by the third song.  You and the bass player have a nice solid feel.  I'm not sure I'm crazy about the guitarists' style, but once he tuned up, it sounded pretty good. 

I dislike Real Media with a passion, so I missed out on dmcc's offering.

Felix's playing is cooler than that kid's hair...nuff said.
(that really is a nice snare, I wish it was clearer in the mix)

Nathan Cartier

Quote from: felix on January 26, 2008, 06:48 AM

Drums are grooving fine

;D  Thanks for that!

The singer's got a great voice, but he could use a little polish.  He tends to move around a lot, tapping feet and moving in and out from the mic.  It's great when we're performing, but not so desirable in the studio.  I'm working with him on that.

Spot on with the guitar.  I'm not crazy about mixing piano with electric guitar, especially since a keyboard piano sound is always perfectly in tune, and a guitar...isn't.  It's the arrangement and sound that they want, though, so I'll let them have it for now. 

I keep hammering it into their heads that if you lay down a sub par track, the final mix is only going to make it worse, not better.  They're starting to improve, but sometimes it's like splitting hairs.    ::)

Mark Counts

Quote from: Danno on January 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
I hear ya. I recorded this on an old Sony still camera that takes video clips - it's the only thing I have that's digital that I can then download to the computer.

I felt kinda lame never having posted myself playing here on DC so I just decided to wing it with that old camera.
It was fine Danno,
I kinda like it raw anyway.  In the right studio, they can take Chicken Sh#$ and turn it into Chicken salid sometimes. Even speed tempo's with out changing pitch, bend notes that were flat. Effects, Compression, cover stuff up with reverb or something,  etc, etc.  It shows the true you.  Anyone that plays Zeppelin is OK with me.
                           Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on January 30, 2008, 08:54 AM
Why don't you post that cover tune you sent me of you Nutty?  That was actually pretty good.
Thank you Felix,
I don't know where to host music, only pictures and since I did a personal on myspace instead of a band profile I can't do it that way.  I am also dumping my web site soon.  It is on there but my web designer didn't label the song which is one of the reasons I am going with a different web guy. If you go to my web site and go to "Music Of the Day",
you will see two songs that have no label.  One of those songs is Allan Parsons,
"Wouldn't Want to be like You". It was done in one take. Or give me a good host site and I will post it tonight?
                   Nutty

Danno

Quote from: drumnut1 on January 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
...Anyone that plays Zeppelin is OK with me.
                           Nutty

Yeah - I remember YOUR video here playing Zep with your band. You rocked it.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Danno on January 30, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah - I remember YOUR video here playing Zep with your band. You rocked it.
I have got this on another gig with this band that is better, but, I haven't played music with those guys in a few years. They were pretty good but the guitar player fell off and went to other non musical adventures and that is what happend. Part of It#@!. This is 4 years old.  http://www.thenuttydrummer.com/LiveConcert.html.

This should work until my friend unplugs the website. 
I am working on something better.
Someone,??
Tell me who or what I need to host a few songs????
I have two songs that are done. The copy write was just completed and I can show you some of my studio work from my basement to the pro studio. I just need to know how to find a host?
                      Nutty

dougstiers

Here is the original project I play with, Signal-Seven, and the first ever video of the song The Visual. Done by Ron Vargas in Peabody, MA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JExCpglVvmw
Our CD isalso available on our band page:
www.myspace.com/signalsevenband
Hope you all enjoy and thanks for any comments, positive or not.

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on January 30, 2008, 08:54 AM
Why don't you post that cover tune you sent me of you Nutty?  That was actually pretty good.
Hey Felix,
I was able to get my web guy to put it on the first page.
Here you go!! It is Allan Parson's "Wouldn't want to Be like You".
Done by my three man band "A Band Of Three" We recorded the instruments in one take. As long as you have an updated version of Media Player, it should work as soon as
you click on this link. If not go to the bottom of the page and click in the players play button twice. Sorry about the shirtless Picture, it was my web guys idea.
http://www.thenuttydrummer.com/. Hope you like it?
                              Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: dougstiers on February 06, 2008, 08:34 PM
Here is the original project I play with, Signal-Seven, and the first ever video of the song The Visual. Done by Ron Vargas in Peabody, MA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?Hope you all enjoy and thanks for any comments, positive or not.
Very nicely made Video and I like the song. Good work.
                Nutty

chefdoug

Here is my new cover band, "Bi Polar" doing Toxicity by System of a Down. This is from our first gig togther just last Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFetF9EJA4

mattjazz

Last night I was a guest soloist at a concert near Atlanta with a rehearsal big band. They're mainly a group of talented semi pros and band directors. They do a decent job, the crowd was good, and it was nice to perform with them. This is part of my introduction into doing stuff like this guest performer thing, and we probably had about 40 total minutes to work on this. I'm not ready for big time sitting in yet with the very best big bands, so this kinda gig will suit me for the time being for sure. Actually I'm still mainly a combo person, but I do like big bands too.

Part 2 (solo 1 after Somewhere)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Yukhmpbaw

Part 3 (solo 2 to the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrjUJyZbng

Since it's West Side Story and all, I'm sure some of the Rich fanatics will be trying to analyze what I've done here but that's cool. I'm debating where to show for a part 1, but for now I've posted the 2 main solos.

Todd Norris

Nice!  I always enjoy your clips Matt.  Thanks for sharing.

;D

Louis Russell

Quote from: mattjazz on February 15, 2008, 10:18 AMI'm sure some of the Rich fanatics will be trying to analyze what I've done here but that's cool.

I think Bernard would have enjoyed listening.  I know i did.

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Well here goes...

www.myspace.com/chantorion

There's 3 songs up there at the moment, from a demo we started recording in August. Unfortunately our singer just quit the band, so we put it up on myspace to help us find a  new singer.

Constructive criticism welcome.

Riddim

There are some decent sounding tracks on the music player here, of various projects:

http://thedrumnetwork.ning.com/profile/NickCosta

Aridyme

Threw a song up for download here:
http://www3.telus.net/public/Aridyme/Drums/aridyme-20080210_3.mp3

This is from one of a few jam sessions with a guitarist friend of mine where I listen to what he plays and try to come up with something for it on the fly.  Pretty basic drumming as I'm still quite a noob, but I really like what my buddy came up with so I thought I'd share it.

Try your best to ignore the mistakes and such please :)

Chris Whitten

Quote from: mattjazz on February 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm debating where to show for a part 1, but for now I've posted the 2 main solos.

You only ever post solos, great and all that, but it's perhaps 5% of what drumming is about.

felix

I think Matt and Hannah should date each other  ;D  They are both about the same age right?