• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Started by Bart Elliott, January 30, 2007, 12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Anyone using  http://www.skype.com]Skype ? I've been working with it for awhile now and have begun to use it for video conferencing, consulting, critique and lessons.

Stewart Manley

We use it fairly extensively in R&D at work, to talk to our colleagues in Bangalore. We also have a "Skype box" which means folks out and about on cellphones can call Bangalore for the cost of an internal UK cell call.

David Aldridge

The company I work for has offices in Austin, TX and Redwood City, CA.  We are a startup tech/entertainment company, and in the beginning we used Skype almost exclusively for communications (audio/video conferencing and plain text IM).  Now we have a fantastic HD video conferencing system, but still use Skype all the time.

The only issue we've had with Skype is that the status icons (whick show somebody in your contact list as online/away/busy/etc.) are not always accurate.  Many times a colleague is online/available out in CA, but Skype shows his/her status as "Away".  Happens enough that I don't trust the icons at all any more, and always send a "yt?" prompt to them.

I have not used the "SkypeOut" (call landlines) features of Skype, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work just fine, as I use Vonage (VoIP) as my home phone service, and it works just peachy.

Drum Slave Jack

I've got it.....i like to use it to have three (or more) way mic conversations with my mates, you cant do that with msn.
Jack

Bart Elliott

Well ... if you have SKYPE ... the Drummer Cafe's Skype name is drummer.cafe or you can search for Drummer Cafe and find it as well. I also have a personal Skype account which I use for friends as well lessons and career consultation.

Dead Trooper

I called the States the other day, perfect quality audio, no delay and I thought it wasn't expensive. Cool stuff. If you're talking skype to skype, way better.

pemfoo

I've used skype in the states and in Europe. It's pretty cool and works surprisingly well.

psycht

I use skype all the time.

If your a PC or MAC user they have video confrenceing in Beta format right now. You'll have to look around the site for the install (can't remember the link right now), but it works very well.

Since i moved to NY i use it to video chat w/ friends & family back home.

Dave Kropf

I use Skype to record my pone interviews for Drummer Talk.  I've had lots of good luck with it.  There is somewhat of a delay and some other echo artifacts when calling a cell phone, but otherwise I've had great luck with it.