• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Not letting people play

Started by felix, November 25, 2002, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xl83

well, we got some 'fans' in our area, but most of them want to hear one song more than they want to hear others..  (sorry, for bad english, hopee youll know what i mean)  this song has become something like a local 'hit'  ..  sadly...  ..   hmm...
anywas, to piss people off, i switch instruments with the singer and guitar player..   thats fine for me, hes not a hard hitter, he leaves everything on the set as it is, cause he knows nothing about drums..   so he plays them so @$%# crappy and wrong..   but its fun...  i can play the song on guitar but im the worst singer...    so, hopefully that one song aint a hit for that long...

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: pdangelo on November 27, 2002, 08:40 AM
So you're still playing "Gimme Three Steps" in Austria?!  ;D

That reminds me - there are some times when I WANT somebody to sit in, so I don't have to play the stupid song!

I'll let ANYBODY play drums on a Hootie and the Blowfish song.  :P

And instrument-swapping can be fun - I play a mean bass on Fleetwood Mac's Dreams (I've really got BOTH notes down) !  ;D

felix

secret handshake thing...funny

anyways...this dude lays concrete block for a living...shake his hand and it is like grabbing onto a ham.

I have paiste signature fast crashes all the way around for the most part and they are very fragile....

the point was that the dude kept asking me after I said NO...very uncool.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: felix on November 27, 2002, 09:35 AMthe point was that the dude kept asking me after I said NO...very uncool.

very .... NO MEANS NO!

daboom

Quote from: pdangelo on November 27, 2002, 08:40 AM
So you're still playing "Gimme Three Steps" in Austria?!  ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

marker

I never let anyone on my kit unless I know them.  I turned down a steady house band for a jam gig because I didn't want to risk my drums.

Letting a drunk on stage to play anything is not a good idea, in my book.

Louis Russell

Quote from: marker on November 27, 2002, 05:15 PM
I turned down a steady house band for a jam gig because I didn't want to risk my drums.
I would have bought a beater kit rather than turn down the gig.

Louis Russell

Quote from: sidereal on November 27, 2002, 06:40 PM
Whadayamean!?! I do it all the time!  8)

I don't think he meant current band members ;D

BlackEvovii

This is just going to be in general.  I probably side with Bart and the others who are inbetween, but g-@$%#.  So, you dont let someone play your kit, big deal.  Alot of people have different morals.  If this world was monotonous, what fun would that be?  Alot of people have something they put their pride in, a hobby, job, etc.  I wouldn't just let some random person fill in on my set, it means too much to me.  As others have said, get to know me, get to know the person, maybe watch them play when they are up on stage, but because you dont let someone play, its going to give you a reputation? come on...who the hell cares.  This stuff happens all the time.  You should be worried about the venue booking you and not the random person who will be alittle annoyed at you.

anyhow yea.

daboom

How is it that some people have a lot of stars and others do not?  Is this to represent years, posts, comments?

I would rather have none than just one.  It makes me feel discriminated against.  Is this some ploy to make me feel inferior?  Is it because I failed to let someone sit in at Jam-night?

I knew that drummer was right the time he said, "you meet the same people going up as you do going down," is this something that has come back to haunt me? How is it that Heather Locklear left a drummer for a picker?  ???

Wow!  This paul henry is messing with me.  I've gotta go find something to eat. 8)

Gimme six stars!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Joe "B-1" Ammons on November 28, 2002, 11:53 AM
How is it that some people have a lot of stars and others do not?  Is this to represent years, posts, comments?

I would rather have none than just one.  It makes me feel discriminated against.  Is this some ploy to make me feel inferior?  Is it because I failed to let someone sit in at Jam-night?

It only has to do with a ranking based on the number of posts you make. As you ascended the ladder, you get more stars.

Hummada

I would let a real hot, naked chic play if she promised to be carefull with my...drum stix.  

Other than that,don't even attempt to ask unless I know you and your a good percussionists!  

What would happen if you let some one take your snowboard or skies down a friggin mountain full of sharp jagged rock that can peirce the right side of your left brain!!!  That would give me brainfreeze if that was my snowboard.

Tkitna

Honestly, I dont mind who plays my drums. I'm not approached like the majority of you guys because i'm not in a band and so forth but its no big deal to me. My wife plays them sometimes and Bonham has nothing on her. She should just go get the louisville slugger and get it over with. She can play some though and I dont want you guys to get the wrong impression. I just dont think I would mind if somebody sat in. I used to race alot of motocross and i've let people race my bike when they had problems with theirs. If something breaks, hopefully that person has the honor to pay for it.

Big Yummy

You wanna sit in?  Great!  Here's a cowbell.  

Scheming Demon

Quote from: TMe on November 30, 2002, 07:37 AM
You wanna sit in?  Great!  Here's a cowbell.  

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

Hot topic here.  If someone asks to sit in on a song I think that is rude and I don't allow it.  If I ask someone if they want to sit in that's fine.

If someone asks me politely if they can sit behind my kit or try it out on a break I let them, unless they're drunk.

ravenzakanite

you can't touch my kit unless i know you or you have a kit to trade if you screw up mine. that's my stance, i'm usually pretty free with them because my kit can take it. but not unless i'm right there.

AndyDierker

I hit pretty hard, so I'm usually not too worried, but I let anyone play my stuff. A few nights ago, the touring drummer broke a chain on his pedal, and my pedal was on his bass drum hoop by the next song. He was really nice about it.

I've never had anyone beat up my stuff. And if they did? Ehh. It's just gear. I mean, if it was an accident, I'll deal with it. If it was because they genuinely didn't care, and don't apologize, I'll be mad... but it's still just gear. Money is just money. I'd rather help a friend out. Or make a new one, even if I'm risking some of my equipment.

drumhero

Quoteit's still just gear. Money is just money.
I wish I had the money to support that kind of attitude.  It's not "just gear" to me.  It's also a stress reliever, a neighbor annoyer, one of my only forms of musical expression, and the most expensive investment I have.  I can't afford to replace heads and stuff that other people have broken.  If I break it, fine.  If someone else breaks it, they better pay for it.  Otherwise it's go time!  I only let people that I know can play and that I trust to replace broken stuff sit on my throne.  I'm the king of my drumset.  You don't think a king would let someone else "play king" by letting them sit on his throne for...say...a war meeting, do you?  Yours is a great view to have, if you can afford it, or if you are truly not worried about your kit.  That being said, I will take my bow, and exit stage left.

felix

I guess we are doing a benefit gig the 15th for some little kid that got killed in a car accident.  THere will be 3 bands there and I'm guessing they will be playing on my kit.