• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Would Drumming be a good exercise?

Started by XM DUDE, March 03, 2007, 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XM DUDE

I mountain bike when I can, but I want to get a drum set 1) because I absolutely love drums 2) I think rock drumming could be a good work out.

Mark Counts

Quote from: XM DUDE on March 03, 2007, 02:53 PM
I mountain bike when I can, but I want to get a drum set 1) because I absolutely love drums 2) I think rock drumming could be a good work out.
Hi XM Dude,
First welcome to The Drummer Cafe,  Yes, Drums are good excercise and much easier on your joints than Mountain Biking. Good luck.
                  Nutty

XM DUDE

Thanks for the warm welcome, my brother is the lead guitar for Offspring and has long encouraged me to get into it as he knows what a drum fanatic I am, so I am going to save my pennies and do something about it.

MVanDoren1

Certainly drums are a very ACTIVE instruent to play.  As far as workout I'd have to view drumming in terms of marching, etc. to be more cardiac efficient than MANY (not all) other styles but unfortunatly I'd have to think that depending upon the style of play- say Gladstone method (which I am definatly NOT NOT NOT proficient at as much as I'd like to be) verses a typical self taught SHREDDER method, one might find drumming to be less excercise than certainly other sports.  I say this from the argument that if one plays in a truly relaxed style (once again- me- NOT) you'll be sparing the muscles rather than expending them.  That would, in fact, be the goal in certain styles or methods of play.  Playing from a wrist down motion only and not lifting the stick prior to forcing it down- using the rebound of the head to work for you to save on energy expenditure.  Playing more wrist as the fulcrum rather than flailing elbows or shoulders, or even focusing on playing with fingertips verses wrist.  In some cases its all about energy conservation.  Even to the point of positioning instruments as close as possible to conserve on upper torso twisting motions.

But yeah- as far as instruments go its great and if you want to take drums as a form of excercise you can certainly play and place instruments in a fashion to be more energy burning.  Put a few inches separation between the toms- hang the cymbals raeally high so you have to reach to strike them, etc.  You'll have great fun- achieve respectable talent so long as you focus on timing and control, etc.  but you may not (thats MAY NOT not WILL NOT) achieve speeds fast as possible with alternate styles and instrument placement.  then again- you may not even care for ultimate speed anyway- so just have fun. 

Mark Counts

Quote from: MVanDoren1 on March 04, 2007, 02:09 AM
Certainly drums are a very ACTIVE instruent to play.  As far as workout I'd have to view drumming in terms of marching, etc. to be more cardiac efficient than MANY (not all) other styles but unfortunatly I'd have to think that depending upon the style of play- say Gladstone method (which I am definatly NOT NOT NOT proficient at as much as I'd like to be) verses a typical self taught SHREDDER method, one might find drumming to be less excercise than certainly other sports. 

but you may not (thats MAY NOT not WILL NOT) achieve speeds fast as possible with alternate styles and instrument placement.  then again- you may not even care for ultimate speed anyway- so just have fun. 

Wow MVandoren1,
Your post was very cool and analytical.  I just got home from a two night gig and I drank Gatorade the first night and Powerade the second night and they classify us as a "BLUES BAND".  I had leg craps in the last two sets tonight.  I am 46 years old and I play the drums with every thing I've got.  Even when less is best!!! We are not really a BLUES BAND.  Weather you play with the wrist and fingers like I do, or raise your cymbals to a level that works your shoulders, it is still a great cardiovascular work out.
I know weight lifters that used to ask me how I work out.  Not any more,
they know I play drums.  What is really cool is that, they know that you have very fast hands and feet.  Taking Marshall Arts will make this even better. I don't care if you play Jazz or Blues, Rock or Metal.  It is a great work-out. IMHO of coarse.
                            Nutty

Dave Heim

You can get a decent workout from drumming on two levels:  1) Playing them;  2) Schlepping them around from gig to gig.  Welcome to the club.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on March 04, 2007, 07:07 AM
You can get a decent workout from drumming on two levels:  1) Playing them;  2) Schlepping them around from gig to gig. 

The actual playing is a walk in the park compared to load in and out.

MVanDoren1

well I certainly hope I didn't and intended not to put any negative spin on drumming.  I just got finished rereading my post and want to add simply that all my previous rambling was simply intended to state that YES drumming is good excercise.  Its just interesting to me the thought that less traditional approaches to set drumming might actually be BETTER excercise than a focus intended on playing with energy conservation in mind. 
ME- I'd like to say that I have the ability to play the way I don't- that said... I can't say that I'm totally loose and play with little exertion.  If I'd just finished a two night set like Nutty I'd probably be comatose right now.  I'm not in a performance based band right now and with drumming being an albeit heart felt hobby- it is for me just that.  I have a profession in another line of work- night shift which disallows me the ability to play out in a typical weekend type setting.  I do play in a praise band at church but that is typically 2 or three times in  a week (including rehersal) with the most energetic amount of time- non stop playing to be maybe 10-15 minutes.

Hats off to all you that shlepp those kits around in the pursuit of honing your craft.

Hope this clears up my intentions if I wasn't communicating it thoroughly before 8)

Mark Counts

Quote from: MVanDoren1 on March 04, 2007, 11:44 PM
well I certainly hope I didn't and intended not to put any negative spin on drumming.  I just got finished rereading my post and want to add simply that all my previous rambling was simply intended to state that YES drumming is good excercise.  Its just interesting to me the thought that less traditional approaches to set drumming might actually be BETTER excercise than a focus intended on playing with energy conservation in mind. 
ME- I'd like to say that I have the ability to play the way I don't- that said... I can't say that I'm totally loose and play with little exertion.  If I'd just finished a two night set like Nutty I'd probably be comatose right now.  I'm not in a performance based band right now and with drumming being an albeit heart felt hobby- it is for me just that.  I have a profession in another line of work- night shift which disallows me the ability to play out in a typical weekend type setting.  I do play in a praise band at church but that is typically 2 or three times in  a week (including rehersal) with the most energetic amount of time- non stop playing to be maybe 10-15 minutes.

Hats off to all you that shlepp those kits around in the pursuit of honing your craft.

Hope this clears up my intentions if I wasn't communicating it thoroughly before 8)
Your OK MVanDoren1,
I have a full time job too.  The 4 sets a night for two nights kills me but I love it. I have to go to work right now and get back on schedule.
I play praise band music too for church and do it with much energy.
Energy is contagious. I didn't mean to take your post out of context.
                     Nutty

MikeE

Speaking from both an exercise physiology background and as a drummer...it's not the same as say running or weight lifting, but it's better than sitting on your butt playing a piano. ;D
-Mike

smoggrocks

Quote from: Louis on March 04, 2007, 08:22 AM
The actual playing is a walk in the park compared to load in and out.

word!

much as i don't like playing on house kits, i am kind of glad that i don't have to schlep my kit all over creation. you're exhausted before you even start playing!

i've got to believe that any activity that leaves you sweating like a pig after 25 minutes has to do something in the way of calorie burn. it's not really weight-resistance type training, but it definitely gets you going.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Drumming can be a cardiovascular workout if played without stopping, but I know many drummers who hold their breath when they play. That's not good. You may end up being more tired from holding your breath than actually playing, if that's what you do. Good breathing will exercise the heart well while allowing you play longer with better results. Breathing = oxygen to the muscles and brain. Not breathing = playing like a dead man.

Drumming for an hour non-stop at high volumes is probably equivalent to a 20-minute brisk walk or something like that. It will definitely work the heart. It's not quite the workout you'd get by doing something the really requires body motion, but it's way better and more fun than sitting and doing nothing. I think if drumming were a serious workout, it would not be so popular in America.  :P

sjm1112

Quote from: smoggrocks on March 06, 2007, 10:33 AM
word!

much as i don't like playing on house kits, i am kind of glad that i don't have to schlep my kit all over creation. you're exhausted before you even start playing!

i've got to believe that any activity that leaves you sweating like a pig after 25 minutes has to do something in the way of calorie burn. it's not really weight-resistance type training, but it definitely gets you going.

I think playing on house kits helps you play better as well....you have to almost relearn songs on the fly if the kit is different....my kit is a 6 piece with 4 toms....sometimes I have to play on a 4 piece with 2 toms....makes it exciting...

Marcos

Unload drums from truck and carry drums to stage - set up drums - play 4-6 hours - break down drums - carry drums from stage and load drums in truck. Yes , good excercise

space_is_the_place

nononononono...

the best exercise is drumming on a sugar rush!

yesdannysback

I stepped up my level of drumming back in January, started using drumming as a form of excercise; I went back to practicing everyday for at least 2 hours, nothing too extreme though. I weighed 270lbs on Superbowl Sunday; I am now down to 245lbs and still going. Now of course it's not all from drumming, I did cut out %90 of all soda and other poor eating habits like double 1/4lb from Mcdonalds supersized with a coke, that is no longer on my list of things to order. I don't expect to have a six pack and some ripped biceps in a year, but at least I am getting a little bit healthier and every little bit counts.

Bart Elliott

I agree with Gaddabout.

I would say that drumming isn't much better, as far as exercise goes, than most other physical activities. The studies I're read and the research I've done says that you would only burn about 4 calories per minute (on average) playing drums ... and this varies slightly upon your present weight, height, age and gender.

In my opinion, if you want some real exercise, you need more of a cardio workout. If you were to play the drums, non-stop, for a solid hour, and you were really over weight, you might burn over 300 calories in an hour. Low impact aerobics burns twice as many calories as playing drums.

One thing to note, playing drums is not specific enough to really calculate the total calories burned. Why? Because the calories burned playing Speed Metal for one-hour straight is going to be very different from playing drums for a lounge Jazz gig.

If you want to burn calories, you've really got to get the cardio thing happening. The more over-weight you are the harder you'll be working, and the more calories you'll burn.

Also, if you follow Jim Fixx ... getting a good workout, in Jim's case being a marathon runner, but having a terrible diet, can still lead to a heart attack. Fixx died at the age of 52 and his "bad" cholesterol levels were over 250. An autopsy revealed blockage in Fixx's three main arteries of 95 percent, 85 percent and 50 percent.

I've had two drummer friends of mine have heart attacks in the last month. Both are active drummers, and one is a drummer by trade.

Drumming is not enough. You need to eat right and get a good cardio workout. You CAN make drumming a good cardio workout, but most of you will not want to do what it takes to do that; I know I wouldn't. It would require constant, vigorous drumming. The only time I've ever come close to this is when I've played drums outdoors for a concert. Playing long and hard like that can do the trick, but very few people do that on a regular basis.

Just my opinion, based on my research and experience. Take it or leave it.

space_is_the_place

givemethebeat

for a real work out have sex..... uses every muscle and actually promotes dopamine....

bolweevil

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 16, 2007, 12:58 PM

Also, if you follow Jim Fixx ... getting a good workout, in Jim's case being a marathon runner, but having a terrible diet, can still lead to a heart attack. Fixx died at the age of 52 and his "bad" cholesterol levels were over 250. An autopsy revealed blockage in Fixx's three main arteries of 95 percent, 85 percent and 50 percent.

I've had two drummer friends of mine have heart attacks in the last month. Both are active drummers, and one is a drummer by trade.

Drumming is not enough. You need to eat right and get a good cardio workout. You CAN make drumming a good cardio workout, but most of you will not want to do what it takes to do that; I know I wouldn't. It would require constant, vigorous drumming. The only time I've ever come close to this is when I've played drums outdoors for a concert. Playing long and hard like that can do the trick, but very few people do that on a regular basis.

Just my opinion, based on my research and experience. Take it or leave it.

I hear you.  This is especially true considering the surroundings in which drummers often find themselves--bars, clubs, cookouts, what have you.  Exercising in a sea of beer and fried foods is a dangerous proposition, especially if a person adopts the "rock star" approach, which is never healthy.

Mastiff

Resolve to only play drums with your shirt off.  That's motivation to get in shape, especially if you play regular gigs.  ;)

Dave Heim

Quote from: Mastiff on June 01, 2007, 03:28 PM
Resolve to only play drums with your shirt off. . .

That's all I need!

Greenpeace would show up and try to push me back into the water. . .

People would run out of the gig screaming "My eyes!  My eyes!". . .

memfodrumma

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on June 01, 2007, 03:35 PM
That's all I need!

Greenpeace would show up and try to push me back into the water. . .

People would run out of the gig screaming "My eyes!  My eyes!". . .

Look at the bright side, more people would be paying the cover!!!!

music4relief

Who needs a gym membership when you can play for an hour behind the kit? Sweat your butt off and rock out at the same time.