• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Which Drummer is better

Started by Langbartelski, March 15, 2007, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langbartelski

My friend and I were having an argument over who was better Neil Peart or Alex Van Halen. They are the 1st and 2nd best drummers ever in my opinion. 3rd is Joey Jordison. So could anyone vote who's better?

Paul DAngelo

I'll give you some sage advice.  It will save you grief in the future.

Don't ask who is a better drummer, A or B.

There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke,.........  er, I'm sorry,

There are many here among us who feel it's like asking what somebody's favorite color is.

That's my sage advice for the evening.  Follow it and the cafe force will be with you.

Welcome!  :)

Louis Russell

Quote from: mudlark on March 15, 2007, 06:57 PMit's like asking what somebody's favorite color is.
Blue, unless you are talking about drums then its Black, Dark Black!

Dave Heim

Quote from: Louis on March 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
Blue, unless you are talking about drums then its Black, Dark Black!

How much more black can it be?

byronand

Dave Heim

Quote from: byronand on March 15, 2007, 07:09 PM
...up to eleven!

BUZZZZZZZ    Ooooh, I'm sorry.  The answer we're looking for is "None".   'None more black". 

Thanks for playing.  Johnny, tell him about his consolation prize.

:)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on March 15, 2007, 07:05 PM
How much more black can it be?
Well there is Darth black....

How much darker can you get? 

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on March 15, 2007, 07:15 PM
BUZZZZZZZ    Ooooh, I'm sorry.  The answer we're looking for is "None".   'None more black". 

Well, you got me laughing out loud again.

Louis Russell

The answer we're looking for is "None".   'None more black". 

Thats right Dave, are we the only ones who know?  If it is not blacker than the inside of a black cat in a coal bin at midnight on a moonless night its not black enough.

byronand

Lol! ;)

Oh well... I was going to answer "cowbell"...  ;D

Now Johnny, about that consolation prize....

nridgedrummer

Wow. This one got off topic really fast. So to actually answer the question I will say my opinion is Neil over Alex even though they are two of my favorite drummers. I've always idolized Neil since I started playing drums. Although I do think it's strange that you're comparing these two since they're so different in their styles. Neil, in my opinion, is more musical and Alex is more "flashy" if you get what I'm saying.

Mister Acrolite

Go to www.drummerworld.com.

If you can identify 50 drummers whose styles you're familiar with, good for you. Check out 50 more!

If you can't identify 50 drummers whose styles you're familiar with, quit listening to Peart, Van Halen, Portnoy, and Jordison, and start checking out some new drummers for a change.

All in all it's a FAR better exercise than debating who's better!

Paul DAngelo

Well, my sage advice should now be heeded.

BTW, my favorite color drummer is:

Robyn

Quote from: nridgedrummer on March 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
Wow. This one got off topic really fast.

Boy, there might just be a reason for that! ;D

robyn

Dave Heim

Quote from: Langbartelski on March 15, 2007, 06:44 PM
My friend and I were having an argument over who was better Neil Peart or Alex Van Halen. . . .

Lemme guess - one of you feels Peart is best, the other feels Van Halen is best.  And you've both dug in, you're sticking to your guns, you know you're right and the other is wrong, and you each refuse to see the point of view of the other.  So, you have an unwinnable debate.  There is no answer.  At times like this its best to simply agree to disagree and move on. 

(this is the most I've ever posted about either Peart or Van Halen!  Woohoo!)

NickC425

I think everyone knows that Neil Peart is not the best drummer out there, but he remains my favorite. Neil is greater than Alex in certain aspects. Neil was the first drummer to inspire me to do more and learn more. I just love the way his sets were and how he plays. :)

Bart Elliott

Heads up to all the new-comers here at the Drummer Cafe.

This community celebrates all drummers and percussionists. We don't believe there is a "best" because each individual is unique, and what might be "best" to you will definitely not always be the "best" to someone else. The term "best" when applied to musicians is both relative and subjective. The analogy I always use is the flavor of ice cream. You may have a favorite flavor, but to suggest that your flavor is the "best" overall is completely ridiculous. If it were the "best" no other flavors would be offered.

At the risk of upsetting new-comers, I would like to again suggest that we discuss topics of value and substance ... and not get into debates or arguments as to who is the "best". Such discussion is pointless and offers no redeeming value.

These types of threads may go over well on other forums, but not here on the Drummer Cafe ... which is why we are THE BEST!!!  :P

This thread is not closed.