• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Do you get paid to play in your church praise/worship group?

Started by Matt Self (Gaddabout), April 03, 2007, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: drumwild on April 08, 2007, 11:26 AM
Religion may be difficult to completely avoid, since religion is in the title of the tread. Could be my make-or-break post. My account can be deleted if I'm ever out of line.

Since I grew up in a small town, and I was really the only active drummer in town, I got hired to play at a church whose denomination will not be mentioned. But the hiring came only after being asked if I would join and refusing. For being a teenager, it paid really well. I'd show up and play my parts. then sit quietly with earplugs in while the service went on. My mom even bought me a suit to wear.

It went well for about a month, until word started spreading around that they were paying an Atheist to perform in their house. They had to make a decision, and decided to relieve me of my duties and have their services without a band, even though I had been nothing short of professional. Not only was I not paid for my last gig, but I was singled out on the stage and ridiculed in front of everyone.

Shortly thereafter, I lost another gig where I played Taps on the trumpet at the local funeral home. Word was spreading in the small town, and the gigs stopped like they'd hit a brick wall. We'd find threatening notes on our house door, advising us to leave town. We ended up registering complaints with the police, and the threats came to a stop after a few months. The whispering that ensued was deafening and did not stop until we left the town 7 years later.

It was one gig I wish I had never taken, because it ended up causing my family so many problems. The money wasn't worth it.

Wow. That's both sad and scary.

I'm always amazed at the amount of hate that can be generated in the name of God - and I say that without singling out any religion. But it's part of why we keep religious discussions off this board.

What a sobering post.  :(

Mark Counts

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 08, 2007, 11:32 AM

I'm always amazed at the amount of hate that can be generated in the name of God - and I say that without singling out any religion. But it's part of why we keep religious discussions off this board.

I agree Mr. A,
Drumwild, that really sucks, and I am very much wanting to comment on your post but I have to avoid the religious part of this topic.  I am sure that you provided the drums that they needed.  I feel bad when I hear crap like this. I am sure that it left a bad taste in your mouth.
                        Nutty

amoacristo

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 08, 2007, 11:32 AM

I agree. That is a horrible and ridiculous story. I would never consider doing anything like that, nor would I even make any real mention to anyone except the leader if I did disagree with something. That is not a good way to treat people, whether you have beliefs that teach you to love people or not. I'm sorry that happened to you, drumwild.

Louis Russell

Quote from: amoacristo on April 08, 2007, 01:00 PMThat is not a good way to treat people, whether you have beliefs that teach you to love people or not.

It is sometimes difficult for me to understand the things some people do in the name of religion. I have even wondered about some members of my own Church.  As difficult as it may be to convey a meaning or thought using written words, I fail to see how anyone who professes to be a Christian and reads the Bible believes such action is acceptable.  Given the fact we do not actively discuss religion I believe we have demonstrated the principle daily in the way we act and interact at the Drummer Café.  I love this place!   ;D

amoacristo

Quote from: Louis on April 08, 2007, 02:16 PM
It is sometimes difficult for me to understand the things some people do in the name of religion. I have even wondered about some members of my own Church.  As difficult as it may be to convey a meaning or thought using written words, I fail to see how anyone who professes to be a Christian and reads the Bible believes such action is acceptable.  Given the fact we do not actively discuss religion I believe we have demonstrated the principle daily in the way we act and interact at the Drummer Café.  I love this place!   ;D

I agree. I am pretty sure you don't have to agree with someone else about everything in order to be nice to them, and not only that but be friends with them and enjoy them. I have a lot more respect for someone that I disagree with but lives by their beliefs than by someone who says they believe something but don't seem to live by those beliefs. I hope I am staying within boundaries with everything I am saying. I just feel very, very disturbed by the story drumwild told. I don't understand how people who as kids typically like everyone, play with everyone, and get along (mostly) with everyone, grow up to be so mean to other human beings. It blows my mind.

Robyn

Quote from: amoacristo on April 08, 2007, 05:00 PM
I just feel very, very disturbed by the story drumwild told. I don't understand how people who as kids typically like everyone, play with everyone, and get along (mostly) with everyone, grow up to be so mean to other human beings. It blows my mind.

Me too--sorry about the way you were treated Drumwild. I'm going to make the assumption that it was a Christian church. And as an active Christian, I find that behavior very embarrassing to my faith. Disgusting, too. >:(

robyn (going to wash the bad taste out of my mouth now)

drumwild

Quote from: robyn on April 08, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm going to make the assumption that it was a Christian church.

I won't say what it was, but I will say that it was par for the course growing up in a small midwest town. I can't recall any positive experiences with regard to interactions of this type. But it was the mid 60s thru the mid 80s. I can't say if things have changed, because I never go back to visit long enough to find out.

David Jung

To stay on topic...  ;)

Am not paid with money or any other physical substance.

Redcamaro

I've played weekly in church services for at least 20 years.  I've never been paid for playing in a church service.  the churches I have attended over the years have varied in size between 100 and 300 people.  In churches of this size, the worship team/praise band role is seen as a ministry and for the most part church membership and a certain level of spiritual maturity are required for serving in this way. 

I've also played (and still do) in a few praise bands where the emphasis was outside our own church.....youth rallies, men's retreats, etc.  For these gigs, the group has been paid.  In every case, we have not personally taken the money but put it back into the churches "sound system" fund.

In my opinion, there are 2 things going on, worship and entertainment.  In many cases, these occur together like at a CCM concert or youth rally.  However in a church service, worship is the key...the praise team's role is to draw the congregation into worship by leading in worship itself.  Now to me, how can someone lead in worship if they are not a believer?  Again, this is my view of things.

In mega churches, the emphasis is more on "seekers" and entertainment plays a bigger part.  Perhaps in that setting, non-christian musicians may be appropriate.  Again, just my opinion.

Cheers,
Chris.

diddle

I don't have a problem at all with non-Christains playing in my praise & worship band at church.  What a great way to influence a non-believer...  :D

SerialLantern

I've been playing drumset at my church for 5 years and vibraphone for a few months. I don't get paid regularly but the church does give me a "love offering" a couple times a year.  I use this to buy music, sticks, method books and other supplies.  There is also a group of older women ( 60 and up ) that always give me a gift card every year for Christmas.  They're sweeties.

Great thread.  So sad to hear about the abuses of some churches, though.

Gaddabout - I'm pretty much in line with everything you've said on the subject.  I've never taken a dime, and wouldn't want it.  This is my labor of love, simply put.

However, I will admit that in my case I play a house kit, so there's no set up or tear down at my end.

I started playing for my church when we'd have ~400 on a Sunday.  Now that we've quickly grown to over 1000, a lot of people still know everyone who's playing up there, and thus, Godly character and integrity are still of chief importance for us musicians -- even though now more emphasis is put on eliminating "distractions" (read: flubbs), so that newcomers aren't instantly put off.  But still, ability to play flawlessly is not nearly as important as living a life of worship.

That said, for megachurches who televise their services, fellowship doesn't exist between musicians and anonymous viewers...in that case, using hired-guns is totally justified, IMO.

Mark Counts

Quote from: 0007 on December 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
That said, for megachurches who televise their services, fellowship doesn't exist between musicians and anonymous viewers...in that case, using hired-guns is totally justified, IMO.

I play for the biggest church in my small town.  It is televised on our local cable network.  You would be suprised at the people you see at Walmart or just neighbors that have told me they saw me playing a church service. It opens the door for me to invite them to come check us out up close. We only have one Praise band member that gets paid.  He is a great Guitar Player or Bass Player. Depends on what we need that day. He doesn't pray with us or listen to any sermons.  I consider him a friend and a great musician but, (I am trying not to be judgmental), there is something missing. We are like a family and he is a bit seperated from the rest of us even though we treat him as one of us. Does this make sense?
                        Nutty

Aridyme

Quote from: drumnut1 on December 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
He doesn't pray with us or listen to any sermons.  I consider him a friend and a great musician but, (I am trying not to be judgmental), there is something missing. We are like a family and he is a bit seperated from the rest of us even though we treat him as one of us. Does this make sense?
Sounds a lot like my own situation, actually.  My GF is Christian while I am... of no religion, I guess.  The number of regulars at her church is quite low (less than 100), so there was never a drummer in the praise team until about a year ago when a 15-year-old and I took interest.  He was the only drummer as I didn't attend service, but eventually he moved away and they were left without a drummer again.

My GF and others at the church auditioned me one Sunday, for fun.  I wasn't anything special but I could do the basics.  It was good enough for them, so they asked me if I was interested in becoming their drummer.  I would get regular practice time with real people and they would get someone to fill a position, so it was win-win.

It's been about six months now... I've learned a lot and the others seem to enjoy having the drums.  But sometimes I do feel slightly separated from the others; I don't pray and I listen to the sermons, but I don't take it in like everyone else.  It feels a little funny every time I get up when the praise team is called because I'm not praising God, I'm just playing the drums.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Aridyme on December 12, 2007, 10:45 PM
It's been about six months now... I've learned a lot and the others seem to enjoy having the drums.  But sometimes I do feel slightly separated from the others; I don't pray and I listen to the sermons, but I don't take it in like everyone else.  It feels a little funny every time I get up when the praise team is called because I'm not praising God, I'm just playing the drums.
First off, Welcome to The Cafe Aridyme,
I enjoyed reading your post and thank you for being honest.  It is nice to hear the other side of the coin.  I think you are in a good place and a good situation. You may not realize this but God has a way of making things work out.  The Church needs you and you never know,
you may find someday that you need the Church but that is entirely up to you ;).
Again, Welcome to The Cafe.
                         Nutty

NY Frank

I was involved in the church group for about 5 years, and during that time, no one got paid.