• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

This year at Pasic in Columbus Ohio????

Started by Mark Counts, July 23, 2007, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Quote from: felix on July 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
I will probably go for a couple of days to check out some clinics and some gear.  I probably won't be splitting a DC booth with Bart.

So, for a newb like me   ;)  , what would your booth be for?

felix

Quote from: HannahFordDrums on July 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
It's a great convention.  This will be my 5th one!

Bart if you decide to have a dinner with all the DC Members one night please let me know.  The only evening event that I know I'm booked for at the moment will be the Zildjian Artists Party and I'm not sure what night that will be yet.

See everyone there!

Hannah

I would bag out on the zildjian artist party or just have your dad go to that one instead.  You need to try to "turn" all of us die hard Paiste and Sabian users here at the cafe.  That's your job now! 
He he he- good luck girl!!!!!!!!!!  No party for you!  :'(  LOL 

felix

Quote from: New York Frank on July 25, 2007, 06:34 AM
So, for a newb like me   ;)  , what would your booth be for?

It's just for people to come up and meet the greatest drummer that ever existed (me).  I sign autographs, photo ops, listen to merchandising deals and refuse them... you know the usual.

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on July 25, 2007, 07:30 AM
It's just for people to come up and meet the greatest drummer that ever existed (me).  I sign autographs, photo ops, listen to merchandising deals and refuse them... you know the usual.

Felix,
I would just be happy to have a few drinks, good food and BS with with some of you good folks.
It would just be a + to be in the company of the Greatest Drummer that ever existed.(you).
Maybe buy a Cafe T-shirt and get all of your Autograghs on it?? Maybe if I start bothering Paiste right now there is hope for me to play even more Paiste Cymbals?
                                             Nutty

NY Frank

Quote from: felix on July 25, 2007, 07:30 AM

I better bring my camera - and my Sharpie.   :)

Will you sign Anything? 

Larry Lawless

Just to let you know, it's not too early to register for PASIC. In fact, the closest hotels are already filling up. Follow the link that Louis gave earlier for convention info, registration and hotels.

Just an overview, the Percussive Arts Society is an international organization of percussionists and drummers from all areas, levels of ability. Current membership is somewhere between 8,000 - 9,000. Members include University professors, symphony orchestra section players, hand drummers, marimba artists, college and high school students, jazz/rock/country drumset artists, etc. Basically, if you hit things to make music, there is something of interest for you in PAS. Membership is just a matter of paying annual dues, with a price break for students. The organization publishes several magazines a year with articles on percussion, news of percussion events around the world, reviews of new music and recordings [shameless self-promotion](the latest issue has a review of the Lawless Percussion and Jazz CD)[/shameless self-promotion]. Each year they hold a convention in different cities in the US, with 4 days of clinics and concerts by the best that percussion has to offer. You must be a member of PAS to attend. There are also contests for marching high school and college drumlines, percussion ensembles, individual solos on marching and concert percussion. And then the exhibit hall .... man, be prepared to be blown away. Every major manufacturer and a ton of little ones has a display with all kinds of stuff to beat on (oops, there is supposed to be a decibel limit, so make that sample tastefully) and many famous people walking around google-eyed like the rest of us. You'll find Remo Belli hanging at his booth, the Zildjian family, Ludwigs, and the artists just being regular folks. A highlight for me at the Nashville PASIC in 2004 was at the Remo booth, I was amused at a youngster showing off his chops on a pad, when I look up to see Ed Thigpen standing there with a half-smile on his face. He leans over to me, shakes my hand and says, "They are literally coming out of the woodwork, aren't they?"

Through the year, PAS also does a lot of behind the scenes work to promote the art of percussion. There are standing committees on just about every aspect of percussion (there's even a special electronic percussion committee) to further the art form. There are also events at the local level. The International organization is divided into Chapters, mostly the 50 United States, but there are chapters in the UK, Germany, Japan, Australia, etc. The chapters usually host a Day of Percussion, kind of a mini PASIC, have a website presence where they announce percussion events in their area, and publish newsletters.

There will not be a DrummerCafe booth this year, as Bart already mentioned. It is very costly, and it ties us down so we don't get to really enjoy the convention. This year, I am the president of the Texas Chapter, so there are a lot of meetings and things that I will have to be at, but I'll be roaming the exhibit hall in my free time. Hope to see a bunch of you there.

- Larry

Mark Counts

Quote from: L Lawless on July 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
Just to let you know, it's not too early to register for PASIC. In fact, the closest hotels are already filling up. Follow the link that Louis gave earlier for convention info, registration and hotels.

There will not be a DrummerCafe booth this year, as Bart already mentioned. It is very costly, and it ties us down so we don't get to really enjoy the convention. This year, I am the president of the Texas Chapter, so there are a lot of meetings and things that I will have to be at, but I'll be roaming the exhibit hall in my free time. Hope to see a bunch of you there.

- Larry
Thank you for the great insight Larry.  Looking forward to seeing you 8).
                                   Nutty

Paul DAngelo

I just checked and found that Columbus is about a 7 hour from my place.  That makes it just about do-able.  I'd love to attend my first PASIC meeting.  I could even wear 2 different style Drummer Cafe tee-shirts (well, not at the same time) to double the impact!

Brett Sheaffer

Quote from: Louis on July 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hay Nutty,

I don't think you knead two worry!  It seams two me that sum words seldom make cents.  The English language, as used buy Americans, is difficult two understand and even harder too right sew it can be understood with know errors.  Think about red and read.  Also think about reed and read.  Read and read spelled the same butt sound a lot different.  Oar how about two, too and to?  If I were you I wood knot worry about being perfect sew long as you get your point across.  OK Guys, how many miss steaks? 
;D

OK, Louis... 19... If you count "miss steaks" as one, rather than two.  How'd I do?  ;D

felix

Honestly, I'm not going to go.   

It's fun but really not my cup of tea drumming and scene wise. 

If you have not been to one before, definitely go.  Make your own conclusions.  It's pretty much "not me" I've decided.

lrac3

those of you who decide to attend, make sure to check out all that PASIC has to offer.  it's easy to get caught up in all the drumset clinics, but try to explore other aspects of our craft, such as a keyboard or tympani clinic.  one of the better clinics i went to a few years back was a gong performance by Michael Bettine.  it was an intimate setting, and he just blew me away!!! :o

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on July 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I'm not going to go.   

It's fun but really not my cup of tea drumming and scene wise. 

If you have not been to one before, definitely go.  Make your own conclusions.  It's pretty much "not me" I've decided.

Felix,
Last year you traveled to Texas to the show and this time it is in your back yard.
Your not making sence.  See you there?
                                      Mark

felix

I'm not into it.  That's it.  It's full of kids, teachers and chop heads... plus it's a corporate kiss ass fest.  Some of the gear is cool, but really- I'm set for gear;  You just get to that point at times.

It's alright, but to me it's a tired scene and alot of dough.  There is a good chance I'll be living in Austin by Nov. anyways.

Maybe next year if it's in Austin and I'm there.  Have fun, don't let me spoil it for you guys.  I'm just jaded.

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on July 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm not into it.  That's it.  It's full of kids, teachers and chop heads... plus it's a corporate kiss ass fest.  Some of the gear is cool, but really- I'm set for gear;  You just get to that point at times.

It's alright, but to me it's a tired scene and alot of dough.  There is a good chance I'll be living in Austin by Nov. anyways.

Maybe next year if it's in Austin and I'm there.  Have fun, don't let me spoil it for you guys.  I'm just jaded.
If you move to Austin Let me know?  I know a few players down there that I used to play music with. They could stand a good drummer right now.
                                   Nutty

Dave Kropf

I'll be going as well as providing tons of PASIC coverage in the podcast.  I am sad that DC won't have a booth, though - I loved the thought of you guys on the exhibit hall floor.

Mark Counts

I am buying my pass today and I have already put in for the vacation time.  See you all there ;D.
                                     Nutty

Louis Russell

You guys have fun and think of me while I am stuck here in Oklahoma. 

Mark Counts

Quote from: Louis on August 23, 2007, 07:45 AM
You guys have fun and think of me while I am stuck here in Oklahoma. 
Going to miss meeting you face to face Louis.  Maybe next time 8)?  I registered today. I didn't spend the money on the workshop or the Hall of Fame dinner.  If you all think that was a mistake, please let me know?
                                   Nutty

lrac3

Quote from: drumnut1 on August 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't spend the money on the workshop or the Hall of Fame dinner.  If you all think that was a mistake, please let me know?
                                   Nutty

I've never attended the workshops or Hall of Fame dinner, so I don't know if it is a mistake; I can tell you that i've had so much fun over the years @ PASIC, that i don't feel i've been robbed by NOT attending those things. If you can, I DO recommend going to Preview Day on that Wednesday.  there is such an eclectic mix of music, i mean so really "out there" stuff.  personally, i really dig it. if you can make it, i think it'll definately add to your experience (and Wed. IS included in your package, so if you can make it, go for it).

Mark Counts

Quote from: lrac3 on August 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
I've never attended the workshops or Hall of Fame dinner, so I don't know if it is a mistake; I can tell you that i've had so much fun over the years @ PASIC, that i don't feel i've been robbed by NOT attending those things. If you can, I DO recommend going to Preview Day on that Wednesday.  there is such an eclectic mix of music, i mean so really "out there" stuff.  personally, i really dig it. if you can make it, i think it'll definately add to your experience (and Wed. IS included in your package, so if you can make it, go for it).
Thank you for the feed back lrac3.  I am off work from Wednesday though Wednesday, so it boils down to footing the bill for three nights in a hotel instead of two. I would love to check out this eclectic mix of music you are talking about. I used to listen to a show here on public radio called Space music.  They had the Jazz hour and the Space music hour.  I really enjoy that kind of stuff.  Anything different to stimulate the senses.
                           Nutty