• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The Next Great American Band

Started by Bart Elliott, October 29, 2007, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Has anyone been watching this?

http://www.denvermho.com/]Denver & the Mile High Orchestra  (great name by the way) is a local Nashville band. The bass player, Tony Marvelli, is a good friend of mine ... we gig a lot together ... and I got him the gig with this ambient/world music I work with (  http://www.mary-kathryn.com]Mary-Kathryn ).

This is a great group ... and I hope the go far ... although I miss Tony.  :)
Don't know if they'll make it to the end or not. Many people think "big bands" or "jazz" is from a bygone era and no longer relevant to our culture. I disagree, but the masses will tell the tale.

Ryan

I've been watching it.  I thought Denver & the Mile High Orchestra was great and didn't understand the criticism they took about the front-man's red suit.  (The Australian judge didn't like it if I remember correctly.)

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Ryan on October 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
and didn't understand the criticism they took about the front-man's red suit.  (The Australian judge didn't like it if I remember correctly.)

This only highlights the sillyness and damaging effect of these programs.
Sorry to rant.
By the way, we don't get the show here, but I'll acknowledge if there's a Big Band on the show, they're probably getting great publicity and exposure they couldn't get any other way. Full marks.
As a pure criticism though, America's Next Great band should be found through hard road work, record sales and talented songwriting, not through a few weeks on tv and a panel of judges.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Chris Whitten on October 29, 2007, 05:03 PM
This only highlights the sillyness and damaging effect of these programs.
As a pure criticism though, America's Next Great band should be found through hard road work, record sales and talented songwriting, not through a few weeks on tv and a panel of judges.

I agree 100%.

I know that with Denver and the gang, whatever publicity they get, regardless if it's good or bad criticisms, it's ALL good. This particular band is a hard working band and stay very busy on the road. In fact they can't work at all as a band until the show is COMPLETELY over; it's part of the contract. So what do they make while they are sitting in the hotel rooms from week to week ... a little per diem and THAT is IT! I don't see HOW they can afford to do that, but like I said, once the show is over, win or lose, they'll have more work than they know what to do with ... and probably be able to charge a lot more for their services.

Chris Whitten

For an out of the mainstream band this is incredible publicity.
I can see their bookings increasing tremendously after all the tv coverage....'As Seen On The Next Great American Band'.  :)
Again, I can't see the programme where I live.
I hope they don't bring it here, although they most likely will.
I find it interesting that the views of this thread are almost double the views of my thread, which is a link to real up and coming bands, as well as established ones, playing real material, in real concert situations.
Perhaps it's the time of day, or my title.
I'm surprised less than 20 members are interested in free concert videos and background interviews etc.  :-\

Bart Elliott

I just started this thread because:

A) This is a popular show ... although I've never watched it once.
B) My friend is in one of the bands that is still on the show.

I'm always surprised with which threads have interest and which ones don't. It's a mystery and I've given up trying to figure it out.  ;D

Louis Russell

Quote from: Bart Elliott on October 29, 2007, 07:01 PMI'm always surprised with which threads have interest and which ones don't. It's a mystery and I've given up trying to figure it out.  ;D

There is no way to figure which threads will get a lot of views or a lot of post.  I started a miscellaneous thread a long time ago "You may be a drummer if...." and was amazed at the number of views.  It also surprises me that threads I believe will interest many people get single digit views.  Oh well, back to important things, I am still trying to figure why abbreviated is such a long word.   ;D

eardrum

I watched part of one episode because while I was flipping channels, I saw Sheila E.  Having a drummer for one of the judges is great!!  In fact, on the episode I watched, she took a quick solo on the timbales with the Latin band that played.  I'm not a big fan of these shows but will try to catch another episode sometime for kicks. 

P.S. Chris, tried view some of the videos late last night and couldn't get any of them to come through.  I'll try again and was planning on posting a response.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Louis on October 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
There is no way to figure which threads will get a lot of views or a lot of post. 
Quote from: Bart Elliott on October 29, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'm always surprised with which threads have interest and which ones don't.

Yeah.
Look, I'm not hurt or anything. I'm not taking it personally. I just thought it was interesting.
I agree. A thread about a popular TV show, that many cafe members would have seen, is going to recieve views and quite a few points of view.  :)

Quote from: eardrum on October 29, 2007, 08:21 PM
tried view some of the videos late last night and couldn't get any of them to come through. 
Oh no.  :-\
I successfully watched a few before I posted the link.

Tkitna

Well, I like the show. One problem though is that 'Franklin Bridge' is obviously better than everybody else. I dont see how they can lose really. 'SixWire' is tight, but they have that annoying 'sing as fast as you can' breaks in their originals that annoy me. 'Denver and the Mile High Orchestra' are awesome too, but I dont think the singer has enough voice for that band. The blue grass band and the Clark Brothers are good too.

Of course 'Tres Bien' is my favorite band, but they are far from the best.

Paicey

Hey, i think i saw the show for a minute. Ya, i liked the band that covered Mr. Tambourine man kind of. Same show?.

eardrum

Quote from: Paicey on October 31, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hey, i think i saw the show for a minute. Ya, i liked the band that covered Mr. Tambourine man kind of. Same show?.
Sounds like the same show. I haven't watched the whole episode (I'm recording it for later) but in last Saturdays episode the bands had to play a Dylan cover and an original. 

Quote from: tkitna on October 30, 2007, 04:54 AM
Well, I like the show. One problem though is that 'Franklin Bridge' is obviously better than everybody else. I dont see how they can lose really. 'SixWire' is tight, but they have that annoying 'sing as fast as you can' breaks in their originals that annoy me. 'Denver and the Mile High Orchestra' are awesome too, but I dont think the singer has enough voice for that band. The blue grass band and the Clark Brothers are good too. 
From what I've seen so far, I agree

eardrum

Just watched the last episode (ok, I'm hooked) and while I thought at first that Franklin Bridge was the best, I'm not so sure anymore.  Their Elton John cover was only fair and the lead singer/guitarist is starting to annoy me.  Sixwire is still going strong - really tight. I lookded em up and found out they were signed to Warner and have a CD on Amazon.  It's amazing to me that the Blue Grass band and Denver and co. are still in.  I hope they get past the next few rounds.  If those 13 year old kids stick with it, they may actually have something in 5 or 6 years but my bet is puberty will take it's toll.

The judges have been giving these bands pretty good advice and it's interesting to see how some of these folks take the advice while others are too full of themselves to want to improve.

Bart Elliott

Light of Doom (the kids) and Rocket (girl band) really have no business still being on the show. The kids are good for their age, but the next american band ... hardly. The lead singer of Rocket can't sing. The judges tried to point this out in a nice way, but she was stiff necked and didn't receive any of it. If they aren't gone ... they both should be.

I don't think Six Wire is all that tight or great; they're good but sound like any other band I've heard (nothing special or different). Franklin Bridge is good, but not great. People are fooled by the chops display, cramming as many notes within a second as possible. Sheila E. was the only one who tried to bring this up ... but directed it only to the drummer.

Some of the more musical groups would be Denver's group and the Clark Brothers. They probably won't win.

My comments and opinions are mine alone (obviosly), and only based on one show that I've seen ... which was last week.

amoacristo

I agree with almost everything said by Bart, except I do have a little higher opinion of Sixwire. They sound like a band that could be on the radio. They would blend in with other bands, but that works for many bands.

Definitely think Light of Doom and Rocket need to go. I have some questions about the drumming from both of those bands. At certain points, it appeared that the sound coming out of the drums didn't line up with what they were hitting on the drums. I could be wrong, but things looked a little off to me.

I like Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. I have one of their cd's. I've had it for years. My favorite is the Clark Brothers, even though they don't have percussion. They are good and they are fun to watch. The blue grass band is fun to watch also. That sure isn't my favorite style of music, but there sure is something to be said about watching people have that much fun.

eardrum

Regarding SixWire (or is it 6Wire)...  When I say tight I'm talking relative to the others bands on the show.  To me they're the only band with better than average vocals.  It's surprising to me that on this show and on American Idol, so many of the top dozen contestants just can't sing - at least not better then what I've seen at a lot high school level events, local concerts or at church.  Non of these bands qualifies or even comes close IMHO as "The Next Great American Band" so I'm taking the title and the whole experience with a grin and a grain of salt. 

Tkitna

Barts right about 'Light Of Doom', its was cute for the first 30 seconds and then you realize how bad they are. Their really good for 12 and 13 year olds, but in this competition,,,,please. 'Rocket' and 'Dot Dot Dot' arent very good (i'm being kind) and they should exit soon. I wish the 'Muggs' were better because they do rock, but they are very sloppy in my opinion and that voice just kills any momentum they gain. I still dont like the singers voice in 'Denver and the Mile High Orchestra'. Its just to weak for that band. Oh well, its between 'Sixwire' and 'Franklin Bridge'.

Vote for 'Tres Bien'! Hey at least they always smile and look like theyre having fun.

amoacristo

Quote from: tkitna on November 08, 2007, 12:40 AM
Vote for 'Tres Bien'! Hey at least they always smile and look like theyre having fun.

I happen to like Tres Bien. I think they are a pretty fun throwback. I won't vote for them because I don't vote at all. I have strong doubts that our votes really make a difference at all. With the producers reserving the right to change the results as they see fit, I just don't think anything happens that they don't want to happen, and that most definitely includes American Idol. Oh well, good entertainment regardless.

Bart Elliott

Watch Tres Bien's drummer. When I watched him play last week, he looked like he could barely execute what he was trying to play. He sounded okay, but watching him ... wow, it drove me nuts!  ;D  Anyone else notice this? I guess it's the teacher in me.  ::)

amoacristo

Quote from: Bart Elliott on November 08, 2007, 10:56 PM
Watch Tres Bien's drummer. When I watched him play last week, he looked like he could barely execute what he was trying to play. He sounded okay, but watching him ... wow, it drove me nuts!  ;D  Anyone else notice this? I guess it's the teacher in me.  ::)

I agree. I wasn't wowed by the drumming of Tres Bien, but still do kind of like their overall sound. The reality is, he sounds as good or better than a lot of the drummers that are touring right now. Some of them are just flat out bad, yet still make it. Makes ya wonder.