• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Help me paint my (future) custom set!

Started by maktub, October 30, 2007, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maktub

Next summer, I'm going to build my own custom drum set. Bass, two mounted toms and a floor tom. Going to buy the snare.

Anywho, I want the color to be off white/cream. What kind of paint would I use to paint it? Can I use spray paint with a couple of coats of clear lacquer? Exterior paint (like house paint)? What do I use? Also, post a link to the product if you can.

James Walker

How much experience do you have with lacquer finishes?

As much of a proponent as I am of the DIY drum builder route, one area where "not being a pro" can really show in the worst possible way is with a poor paint job.  Selecting the right kind of paint is important, of course, but the painting techniques and equipment, as well as the prep' work on the shell, all are critical.

If you're not already skilled working with paint finishes, I'd suggest at least investigating the idea of farming the work out to a pro.  Either track down a local automotive paint shop, or even better, send your shells to Kurt at Hillbilly Drums - he produces some of the most killer finishes I've seen on any drums.

Here's a site with video clips from the recent Chicago drum show, featuring Kurt's booth:

http://www.gearwire.com/hillbilly-drum-drumshow.html]http://www.gearwire.com/hillbilly-drum-drumshow.html

Kurt's web site is still under construction, but there's a link available for e-mail:

http://hillbillydrums.com/]http://hillbillydrums.com/

I know, I know - I sound like a shill.  I've never dealt with Kurt, and I have no connection to him, but I've seen a bunch of his work displayed at drum builder forums online such as ghostnote.net, and his work is nothing short of amazing.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on October 30, 2007, 10:09 PMSand the wood with 180 grit sandpaper-(lightly), then Wet-Sand with 600 grit sandpaper.

I think I would skip the first wet sanding on the bare wood. 

Chip Donaho

Louis, I had to take my other post of the board. My son looked at it and said, "You've got it all wrong. I'm not going to teach those guys the skills it took me 15 years to learn." I guess I couldn't blame him for that.   :-[  Then he asked, "Where's it going?" I said, "All over the world." Take it off right away....   ::)   :P   ;D

Joe

It so happens that I'm in the middle of repainting a converted floor tom/bass drum (18 x 10" from 16").  The initial flat black spray paint proved abortive, as it never really cured and kept outgassing over a period of two weeks.  I'm going to sand it all off, then just apply some fleckstone paint---this will have the added benefit of hiding the rather loose grain of the lauan shell.  I've seen a Ludwig Clubdate given a grey fleckstone finish, and it fit very well with the symphony's appearance onstage.  I may opt for something a tad brighter.

I suppose with sanding and priming in a specialized manner (I guess we're running the risk of crossing guilds here), I could have something similar to an auto body.  My main concern, though, is to seal the shell after stripping the wrap, as it's a total player drum. 

maktub

I assume I just have to sand off the original paint, so I have a blank shell, then spray it with a primer, then paint it, then clear coat it. Only trouble is what kind of paint do I use? Just some spray paint? Interior wall paint? I have no idea. Can someone help with this question?

Louis Russell

Quote from: maktub on November 10, 2007, 01:26 PMOnly trouble is what kind of paint do I use? Just some spray paint? Interior wall paint? I have no idea.

That would depend on the type of finish you want.  Keep in mind that the primer, paint, and clear coat must be compatible.  Personally I would go with lacquer but bear in mind it takes longer than you first think to finish the job.  Many times you will wait 3-4 weeks between the last build coat and the top coat and another 3 weeks for that to cure before you can begin the polishing process.  Enamel/imron paints on the other hand can be finished in less than a week.

maktub

OK, thanks Louis. I still haven't entirely figured out what kind of finish I want yet. So i'll just wait until I decide.

Tim Cake

DuPont IMRON is a great choice for finishing drums. Many beautiful colors -AND- it has high flexibility which can adapt to the expansion and contraction of drum shells. IMRON is a paint SYSTEM conisting of primer, color coat, clear coat (if desired) and reducer / thinner. You must use the full IMRON system if you want beautiful results. It is expensive, but if appled according to manufacture's instruction will supply a dazzlingly beautiful end product. It is a spray-only system that requires the technician to use a chemical respirator with eye protection, nitrile gloves and tyvek overalls.

That said, I'd recommend you get an auto body shop to spray finish your drums with DuPont IMRON....