• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

New Kit Build: Segmented Shells

Started by Bob Dias, November 02, 2007, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Bob Dias on May 09, 2008, 09:24 AM
I am looking at either the Optimounts (pearl) or just using bolt-to-the-shell mounts. I am open to ideas. Any suggestions?

Sorry you don't like RIMS ... but man, I sure wouldn't put the Opti-Mounts on there. I think those are the WORST ever. I have had nothing but bad luck with the Pearl Opti-Mounts. In the studio, the Tom sustain was killed in a major way. Maybe they've improved this over the years, but I've had bad experience after bad experience when using drums with these mounts.

You're going to have such a beautiful kit ... I cringe at the thought of you putting Opti-Mounts on there. But you know what, that's only my opinion and experience. Obviously there are plenty of people who love those mounts and continue to use them.

Bob Dias

Hmmmmm....

I will listen to wisdom of the sage...I'll revisit the RIMS/DSS systems!
Bart, any one brand you are partial to?

I will say, that the mouting system will be the last item decided on. That way I can take the toms into a few local shops and try them out on different mounting systems

thanks for the heads up, Bob

Riddim

Bob Dias

Nope...just clean butt-joints with polyurethane glue.  The joint is not the weak point in these drums...it is imperfections in the actual woodgrain. Spline work adds a level of complexity that I am not set up for in my shop.

Bob

Bob Dias

Alright Bart,
After 2 hours of poking around at my local music shop and consultation with their really good drumguys, I have relented and decided on a set of Gauger RIMS for my 12 and 14" toms...I'll still be putting legs on my 16". Final sanding and tung oil finishing will commence this week (and likely contiune for the next two weeks).
Cheers, Bob

Bob Dias

OK...
We have moved on to finishing! The smell of tung oil permeates my garage and family room right now.  Two pics of the 12 x 6 tom...

before interior shaping and sanding...

and after 2 coats of sealer + two coats of tung oil

The rest of my hardware won't arrive for about another two weeks. So, two coats per day (one in the morning, one in the evening), sanding everyother day...you do the math.  Followed by wetsanding and waxing, we might have a drum kit!

more when the drilling and assembly begin...Bob

NY Frank

Bob Dias

Here are some pics as I get the hardware in place.

First, marking and drilling...

next, the 14 x 8 tom with double beavertails...

next the 12 x 6 mounted on the RIMS mount...

I still need to order some proper sized tension rods. Should be playing it by next week.  More pics when completed.

Cheers, Bob

Ryan

Very nice looking.  Can't wait to see the whole kit.

Bob Dias

Here you go.  Yes, it sounds great, and it looks better than the picture.  I'll be spending the next week tweaking the positioning and tuning. The beavertails and fiberskyns look and sound great. The bass spurs are Dunnett spikes...very cool. More pics when I gig it out. Shown here with my acrolite (still waiting on one part for the matching snare).
Yea, it was all worth it.

Again, sizes are 12x6, 14x8, 16x12, 20x16 and a 13x6 snare.

Enjoy, Bob

NY Frank

Ahhh.  A thread update from one of my favorite DC threads, from our brother Bob.

Outstanding!  You must be Very Proud.  The kit is Gorgeous.

Soundclips - we need some soundclips.   :)

NY Frank

Are those Fiberskyns across the board?  Haven't tried them yet.
Good stuff?

Larry Lawless

Bob Dias

Frank and Larry,

Thanks!

Yea, All I am doing tonight is kind of just sitting here staring at them. Kind of goofy grin on my face right now.  I want to play them out soooo bad...but I know I need to shakle them down with some rehursal time first.  I have been playing mostly blues lately, so these will be a welcome change from my roto kit.  These will get mated up with my mehmet/agops.  Should be a perfect fit for the blues.  I'll pull out my big condenser mics and try to get some sound files posted.  It has been a great adventure and learning experience.  This kit does not begin to compete with those from UNIX, etc., but I think anyone who sat behind it would be pleased...and I still have enough wood left over for 1 or 2 snare shells!

sinfully proud papa...Bob

Todd Norris

SWEET!  Those turned out fantastic Bob!  Congratulations!  When you've had a chance to live with them for a while, I'd love to hear any comparisons/contrasts of the Ash to other woods you've played.

Louis Russell

Beautimus!  Congratulations on an excellent job.  I bet then sound great too. 

Bob Dias

Frank,

yep, fiberskyns all around, top and bottom (except on the snare side...went with a Renessaince snare-side head there). They sound big, fat and warm. B.

NY Frank

Is

DiasDrums

now taking orders?     ;)

Bob Dias

Hmmmmmmm.

I had that idea, until I made my own.  I will likely make some snare shells and maybe send them out on a DC tour.  I might consider making shell packs (no hardware). that can be done for reasonable cost.  Since I don't have to make a living at it, I might be happy do make shells at cost+, provided people truely understand what they are getting. 

Once you add hardware, it gets expensive very quickly.  I know I spent 4-5x on hardware and heads as I spent on lumber and jigs.  I'll tally up the expenses so you all can see what "cost" is (was) for the whole kit.

still giddy...Bob

Chip Donaho

Very nice job Bob. You have good taste, I'd be more than happy to break them in for you.  ;)