• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

New Kit Build: Segmented Shells

Started by Bob Dias, November 02, 2007, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Quote from: Chip71 on June 24, 2008, 02:25 PM
Very nice job Bob. You have good taste, I'd be more than happy to break them in for you.  ;)

Me2

Dead Trooper

Bob, my hat's off to you: those are amazing, classy looking drums which I'm sure sound way better than they look.

You are a genious and I'm insanely jealous right now of your woodshop skills!

Cheers

ayotteTL

Contemplating building a stave kit of my own but w/pre-made shells(edges pre-cut) thru 
Joshua(forgot name?). Anyone know first-hand what to expect as far as add'l weight of drums due to the shell thickness(3/8" for toms) as compared to 6-ply Keller shells(I have glass glitter on my Keller Kit which adds a lot of weight too).

I play standard bop sizes or smaller. I use a handtruck anyways but those shells look really heavy. Sometimes I have to unload/reload my handtruck  due to some annoying obstacle(helps me realize the challenges of people that navigate in wheelchairs).

What I'm really trying to avoid is getting tired and sweaty before the gig even starts.

To simplify,will it amount to doubling my drum shell weight from the 6-ply shells I use ya think?

Bob Dias

AyotteTL:

In a word, No.  They are a bit heavier, but not double.  My hanging toms are about the same weight as comparable ply toms.  My floor tom and bass might be a pound or 3 heavier, but nothing to work a sweat up over.  The hardware is still the 800 pound gorilla.  Get the staves and go with quality single-braced stands to conserve weight.  But, no, the drums are not significantly heavier.
Bob

eardrum

Just stopped by to take a look at the progress - I've been busy and haven't checked in on this for quite a while.  After picking my jaw off the floor I just want to say WOW!!  That's one gorgeous kit.   Seems like it should be on display somewhere.  If it sounds nearly as good as it looks, I'll take two. :)  And thanks for documenting the whole process.  It's an education seeing how it's done. 

metalshredder

Ditto the hardware being the cost here.  I've been wanting to throw together a stave snare, and yes, i've found out what things cost.  Probably  $200+ on hardware for just a snare alone.  And yeah, likely more than that.  That was just the cheapest prices i've seen, not including tax, shipping, etc.

And to agree with everyone else, very nice.   Definitely waiting on sound bytes!

ayotteTL

Thank you Bob for the info and your kit turned out really beautiful! I've always used Guager rims mounts and can't imagine life w/o em. Hopefully, you like em now too. I think the satin aluminum looks fantastic on your kit. Beavertails are a real highlight too! Classy all-round.

dizz

Hi Bob

Wow

This thread was an exciting read -- even inspiring.  I love to work with wood myself.  So very impressed.

How fragile are the segmented shells?  Were your raw materials kiln dried or anything?

Had you given any thought to the idea of fabricating your own hardware -- with hardwoods?  I can tell by your jigs that you have the ability and creativity to accomplish something like that.  Perhaps you could embed a locknut inside a hardwood lug?

Did you calculate lug locations so that you would not drill through joints.

Again I am really impressed and you should be very proud!

Edit:  You should make some congas and bongos :D

Bob Dias

Dizz,

Thanks much!

My shells are actually staves. They seem very robust.  During fabrication, I actually dropped one (ouch) and it just bounced back up into my hands.  I have been gigging since early summer with them and they are doing quite nicely.  They are weathering the Norfolk summer/fall/winter temp and humidity changes in stride.
I now need to sit down and retune them however...likely more to do with the heads settleing in than anything.

I thought about fabricating hardware for about a week. I thought better and decided  on one learning experience at a time, Though I di have some ideas for some "lugs" etc.

I began calculating lug locations so they would not be located on joints, but that was an impossible task for all mounts (bass spurs and FT legs.  Also, modern gorrilla glue is stronger than the wood I used, so I quit trying.  However, again, no problems so far.

I don't know about other drums...these were relative easy since they don't have complex curves (like congas).  I still have a very large plank of Jatoba sitting im my shop that needs to be turned into a snare (or two).

I am still trying to get a sound file posted (still...)

Cheers, Bob

DR

What a good read!  Thanks for this info, Bob. 

I had to resurrect this thread - for Easter - to ask about the chances of hearing a sound file.

Quote from: Bob Dias on January 07, 2009, 12:05 PM
I am still trying to get a sound file posted (still...)

Cheers, Bob

NY Frank

This is my favorite DC thread of all time.

It literally puts a smile on my face every time I hit the DC and see
an update to this thread.

Bob Dias

DR...
Sound file to come!  I'll be participating in the upcomming community solo. While I am at it, I'll record all the individual pieces so you can hear the whole kit.
Bob