• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Someone with knowledge, please help

Started by _andygumm_, December 19, 2002, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_andygumm_

alright, im 18 years old, been playing for about 10 years.  ive been playing on a pearl export for the last 4 years, and i like it, but im ready to start playing live, and recording and need something better.  i dont wanna be like evryone else, so im deciding on getting some lesser known names.  im choosing either premier or a pacific.  i found 2 ebay auctions for brand new sets by each.  here are the links:  im leaning towards the pacific as of now because i beleive it has better hardware.
Pacific Set:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=929263895]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=929263895
Premier Set:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=931366931]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=931366931
someone please let me know which i should get, it will be greatly appreciated.

_andygumm_

if it helps to know...i play in a rock atmostphere and i play pretty loud.  :D

Mark Schlipper

you should get the kit you feel sounds better.  

regardless of whether or not its like anyone else.  

_andygumm_

i agree with you there...but i wont be able to test these kits out since im purchasign over the net to save like $800.  thats why i asked for opinions on these sets.  

Bart Elliott

Both kits have gotten good reports. The Pacific kit has faired well ... mainly because of the quality to price ratio ... meaning, you get a lot for the money.

Either one of those kits will work for you I'm sure.

_andygumm_

thanks, this is the kind of help im looking for!  anyone else??  ;D
that pacific also comes with a 5 year ltd warranty
thanks again!

Mark Schlipper

thats the great thing about guitar center.  they have plenty to try out (like pacific and premier) and you dont have to feel guilty about not buying from them afterward  ;D

barts right they are both fine kits for the money (of the two i prefer the premier) as are many tama, pearl, mapex, taye, etc.  but i stick by my "let your ears decide" philosophy.  not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to encourage personal/individual sound as a priority.  no matter what kit you play, youll play like you.  dont worry about whether its common or not, worry about whether or not it will deliver what you want.  best way to find that out is to try it out.

_andygumm_

well i live in a place called greensburg kentucky(AKA nowheresville), so the chances of me trying out those kits are slim to none.
563, i know ur not trying to be a jerk, i agree with you on the things you said, but for some reason (i dunno why) im stuck on either a premeir or a pacific.  also can you tell me why you like the premier better?
thanks

jokerjkny

you could always charge it on a Musiciansfriend purchase, have them send you both sets, and check out both from the comfort of your own home.  

and, after 45 freakin' days, you can still get your money back!  

well... granted you didnt scuff them while pushing them outta the way, as you threw a temper tantrum onstage, making your way to strangle your lead singer...

ooooo, little too much info there....  :D

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: _andygumm_ on December 20, 2002, 01:02 AM
well i live in a place called greensburg kentucky(AKA nowheresville), so the chances of me trying out those kits are slim to none.

I would think that somewhere within a hundred miles or so is a decent drum shop or music store. For investments like this, I think it makes sense to take a day and make a trip to check these things out. I grew up in a similarly nowhere town, and used to take the train 200 miles north to Chicago for the afternoon, to check out all the latest stuff at Frank's Drum Shop.

This is a big investment, which you may hang onto for years. It's really best to hear the drums you're buying. Plus it's fun to see these shops - talk about being a kid in a candy store!

Tony

Greensburg is only 2 - 3 hours from Nashville, which is chock full of drum shops.  For $1000, you are not saving any money by buying from e-bay.  These kits you are looking at are good sets and retail in the $800 - $1000 range in any drum shop in America.  You should seriously consider making the drive to Nashville or Lexington and looking, touching and playing these and other kits in your price range.  Good luck.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: _andygumm_ on December 20, 2002, 01:02 AMcan you tell me why you like the premier better?
thanks

sound :)  

the premier's sound just had more of the character i like.  and the hardware/general contruction seemed as good as the pacific so it compared evenly there.

i lived in asheville n.c. for a while ... 2 hours to knoxville, 3 to chapel hill, 4 to atlanta.   i was willing to drive 4 hours to spend $10 seeing a band, id be even more willing to drive that to make an investment like a kit.  when you live in nowheresville you do what you have to, or move :)   i managed to buy a used kit locally through the paper.  that was 10 years ago, and i still play it.

_andygumm_

Quote from: agsa6079(Tony) on December 20, 2002, 07:41 AM
Greensburg is only 2 - 3 hours from Nashville, which is chock full of drum shops.  For $1000, you are not saving any money by buying from e-bay.  These kits you are looking at are good sets and retail in the $800 - $1000 range in any drum shop in America.  You should seriously consider making the drive to Nashville or Lexington and looking, touching and playing these and other kits in your price range.  Good luck.
yah i know im not too far away and i guess your right i should go there and check them out.  whats some good places in nashville or lexington.  one reason tho id dint think of this 1st, but when i did a search to see what dealers carried pacific, i cant recall finding any, but ill search again.  

and thanks again to everyone for helping me out!
and when i get out of high school, i'm moving to louisville.  ;D   :D  :o

sidereal

For what it's worth, I love Premier drum kits. They sound great and I've never had any problems with mine. In my opinion, Premier makes the best sounding kick drums you'll ever hear in a kit. I can't tell you how many times sound engineers have commented on my kick drum. It's become a regular conversation topic. No matter what head I put on mine, the sound is just gorgeous. I like the fact that they're British, and not a lot of people over here play them. So you've got some uniqueness in your sound. Plus, that's a classy lookin' kit right there. :)

The one gripe I've heard about Premier is that parts are difficult to replace. But since I've never had anything go wrong, I can't vouch for the validity of that statement.

And yes, by all means, make the drive to try out the kits. Make an adventure out of it. ROAD TRIP!  ;D

Ratamatatt

Andy,

The best "value" on a drum kit I've seen is the Sonor 3001.  I've seen it at Mars Music.  Another Cafe member stated he's seen it advertized by Musiciansfriend for $599.  I've also seen it priced by Interstate Music for $850 which included matching snare and some hardware.  

The 1001, 2001 and 3001 are considered Sonor's low to mid level kits but IMHO the quality of the hardware, shells and finishes of the 3001 is equal to or better than most top of the line kits.  (Sonor's top of the line Designer kit - which is only available on a made to order basis - is widely regarded as the finest drum kit available.  It is also my understanding that, unlike most drum makers (Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, Premier, Gretch, Fibes, etc.), Sonor makes it's own shells and hardware.

Anyway, I would try to test a 3001 before I made a decision.  Good luck.

Ratamatatt

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Ratamatatt on December 20, 2002, 02:45 PM
The best "value" on a drum kit I've seen is the Sonor 3001.  

I have to agree. I just bought a Sonor Force 3001 for a church that I play at ... so I don't have to haul my personal kit around ... and the drums sound great! Even the factory drumheads aren't bad. I did however put the AQUARIAN Super Kick and Regulator drumheads on the kick drum ... no other muffling material.

The kit that I bought was the Fusion sizes; 10,12,14 tom toms, 5x14 wood snare, and 16x20 kick drum. I got all of that with hardware (no throne) for $599.00 off eBay .... FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX. After I sent in the payment, I received the drums in about 4 days!

Check eBay man; there's small companies on there selling new gear at great prices. This particular kit was in the original packing and had never been opened.  :D

_andygumm_

wow.  ill check them out then.  i ha dnever thought of sonor as making good quality sets.  they really should do more advertising and do some more endorsement deals if theirs sets are this good.  

thanks again to everyone, any other input will still be appreciated

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: _andygumm_ on December 21, 2002, 12:38 AM
wow.  ill check them out then.  i ha dnever thought of sonor as making good quality sets.  they really should do more advertising and do some more endorsement deals if theirs sets are this good.  

Felix, don't hurt him. Take some deep cleansing breaths, and be gentle with him.  ;)

_andygumm_

:o uh oh, what did i say wrong?   ???  ???  ???

Mister Acrolite

Don't worry - I'm joking! One of our more - er - outspoken members (Felix) is a BIG Sonor fan, so he might have a remark or two about your post.  ;)

But I'll agree with whoever brought up that point. Sonor DOES make an excellent entry-level kit (and some great upper lines too, if you can afford them), which you should strongly consider in your shopping choices. Good luck!