• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

4th Annual Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, April 07, 2008, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Okay ... I'm rendering the video right now ... so NO MORE ENTRIES!!!  ;D

Here are the solos that I have:

Hannah Ford
diddle
Jim R.
Ryan
Shoeless
Gaetano Nicolosi
Felix
Sphykik
Drum Count
New York Frank
Antman
scarmike67
Rhythm Stop
Nathan
Varbed
Drum4JC
nuttydrum1
Nick
Dave Heim
David Crigger
and myself

That's 20 entries ... plus I did two solos (one on Djembe and another on a hybrid drum set-up). Total solos: 22

I basically put all of the solos in the order I received them. The exceptions being that I placed Hannah's first because she was the last entry, and it was easier to add to the front of the project ... plus she's got some funky moves that set-up the whole thing rather nicely.  ;D  David Crigger closes out the solos ... no surprize there, it's David Crigger ... but when you hear what he played, you'll understand another reason.

Since some people had pick-ups to their solos, and others chopped off the end of their solo, I moved a few around to take advantage of the situation. I mixed the project the best that I could with the limited amount time, and the fact that all the solos were at different levels. I hope everyone will be pleased.

I'll premier the community solo on DCTV as soon as I can get everything rendered and uploaded ... hopefully by later tonight.

NY Frank

Bring it on.  :)

And thanks for all the time you put in on this.

NY Frank

I have seen and heard it.

It's tons of fun!

Let's do it again!    ;)

NY Frank

My wife just checked it out.

Her feedback:  "Good job, but you need to buy a new mic."

Ya think?   

;D

amoacristo

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 10, 2008, 02:52 PMDavid Crigger closes out the solos ... no surprize there, it's David Crigger ... but when you hear what he played, you'll understand another reason.

Uh yeah. Never would have thought of his approach to this but I absolutely loved it. There was some great playing in this solo. Good job guys.

Bart Elliott

Well from Frank's post you probably already figured out that the Community Solo is now up on DCTV. We had 21 participants total and the entire community solo lasts over 12 minutes!

I hope that everyone is pleased with their solos and the way I mixed it. Congratulations to you all and thank you for participating.

I wanted to publicly apologize to Scarmike67. His 12-year-old son submitted a solo this year but unfortunately I was unable to use it or find a place for it because there were only 10 bars in his solo rather than 12. The Community Solo was set-up for 12 measures per soloist, and throwing a 10 measure solo in there was creating too much havoc for me, so I had to give up. Hopefully he will contribute again next time.

Nick

Very cool work everybody!  8)

And thanks Bart for putting it all together so well.

It's great to hear them all together, and Felix.. This just once again proves why you are 'da man!' 

Cheers

;D

N

Mark Counts

Quote from: New York Frank on June 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
My wife just checked it out.

Her feedback:  "Good job, but you need to buy a new mic."

Ya think?   

;D
It wasn't bad Frank.  I don't think the camera I borrowed had great sound quality either but it got the point across.  Thank you Bart for putting my pick up in there. I thought you would edit it out. I really enjoyed watching this year and Great job to all of you ;D.
The added pic's and Video, putting a face with the drummer was great 8).  Thanks again Bart for all the hard work. With all the stuff I am knee deep in this year, I am glad I even made it in ::). Looking forward to next year.
                                  Nutty

Nathan Cartier

Hannah Ford

Wow...what a fun project!!! 

I was so close to throwing in the towell this year because of recording challenges we faced at the last minute.  I'm glad it all worked out.

Bart thank you for the extra time to help pull all of this together.  Knowing how long it can take and how frustrating it can be just doing one solo, I can't imagine trying to piece all of this together coming at you from all over the world. 

The other solos were great.  Really exciting as you wait for one solo idea to come to an end and another is getting ready to start.

So glad to be part of the DC family.

Hannah

Larry Lawless

Great job, everyone!

It's always amazing to me how creative our community is here. Everyone had the same track to play to, but there were so many very interesting different sounds and feels.

Thank you to all the participants for making this year's solo a smashing (crashing, thumping, banging) success!

felix

What?  Nick you are toooooo flattering, you must have my playing confused with someone else. I just work here my friend.  Check out my new vintage tubs in gear today.  Hopefully you will dig *even though you are a Tama endorser now*  ;D

NY Frank

It was incredibly fun having the videos to watch, too.

Next year, I gotta do video.

Bart - most outstanding editing. 

felix

I think DFC actually played less notes than I did.
Genius.

Gaetano always has a great sound and feel.

Good job Nathan and very nice playing.

I was actually going to play a shuffle feel along the lines of David Crigger.  I'm so glad I didn't.  I love you man, you were one of my very first influences!

And the rest of you guys played very well.  Varbed, your sonor toms sounded GREAT!

Awesome playing, editing and everything else Bart.  You got it all happening man.  Thanks it was fun.

Jim R.

Great job everyone! That was a blast!! It was very cool to listen to all the grooves and ideas.

Thanks for all your hard work Bart! Very nice editing and I really dig your scratchy cymbal on the djembe sound.

Despite some complaining about the mics, I think many of you could make a career out of the cool snare sounds you're getting. That was a fun part; listening to each snare sound.

I loved everyones effort. I realized again that playing to a click/part is not that easy, and then many of you like Bart, Gaetano, David, and others show how its done, and play right in the pocket.

One of my favorites is Shoeless, cool linear sounds in groups of 3. Also, NY Frank you passion comes out in your playing and your smile! Nick, that be reserved, but I still want to thrash my head to it.

felix

Your solo was pretty good if I recall as well Jim R

Bart Elliott

I've had a few questions about the "drum" set-up I used for my second solo. The Kick drum was an African drum about the size/shape of a 14" Floor Tom. The Snare was a Pork Pie 6x10 "popcorn" Snare. The HiHats ... bottom cymbal was a 7" Splivet (homemade w/two rivets), top cymbal was an 8" Sabian AAX Splash. I didn't do any close micking or EQ; if I had time I would have liked to ... but it was a last minute solo that I wanted to do; recorded it yesterday afternoon.

Probably obvious to many, but the drum groove was a hybrid "Cissy Strut" feel that I wanted to try.

Quote from: Jim R. on June 11, 2008, 09:34 AM
One of my favorites is Shoeless, cool linear sounds in groups of 3.
It was interesting, especially since he played it as straight sixteenths as opposed to the swung feel that the bass track had. Just goes to show that if you play with conviction ... it can work.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Jim R. on June 11, 2008, 09:34 AM
Great job everyone! That was a blast!! It was very cool to listen to all the grooves and ideas.

Thanks for all your hard work Bart! Very nice editing and I really dig your scratchy cymbal on the djembe sound.

Despite some complaining about the mics, I think many of you could make a career out of the cool snare sounds you're getting. That was a fun part; listening to each snare sound.

I loved everyones effort. I realized again that playing to a click/part is not that easy, and then many of you like Bart, Gaetano, David, and others show how its done, and play right in the pocket.

One of my favorites is Shoeless, cool linear sounds in groups of 3. Also, NY Frank you passion comes out in your playing and your smile! Nick, that be reserved, but I still want to thrash my head to it.

Yea I agree....the djembe was very nice....the whole thing is just a lot of fun. 

Hannah

felix

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've had a few questions about the "drum" set-up I used for my second solo. The Kick drum was an African drum about the size/shape of a 14" Floor Tom. The Snare was a Pork Pie 6x10 "popcorn" Snare. The HiHats ... bottom cymbal was a 7" Splivet (homemade w/two rivets), top cymbal was an 8" Sabian AAX Splash. I didn't do any close micking or EQ; if I had time I would have liked to ... but it was a last minute solo that I wanted to do; recorded it yesterday afternoon.

Probably obvious to many, but the drum groove was a hybrid "Cissy Strut" feel that I wanted to try.
It was interesting, especially since he played it as straight sixteenths as opposed to the swung feel that the bass track had. Just goes to show that if you play with conviction ... it can work.

Yeah, Bart, that kit really cut thru the mix nice.  Good playing as usual bro!  LOLz!

felix

To me the groove had more of a 16th note triplet shuffle but with wider/straighter feel to it than a regular blues shuffle and probably why David's shuffle (texas meets a chicago shuffle at the Greenmill?) fit so nicely in between the cracks.  It's almost as if it could have been played straight or swung but worked best in between.  Maybe I'm flipping out;  But it felt in between duple and triple meter.

Did you synthesize the loop on a grid this time Bart or did you actually play it on some keys live and to the click?  May I ask?