• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

4th Annual Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, April 07, 2008, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah Ford

Hey Felix,

REALLY enjoyed your groove....very cool

Hannah

felix

Flattery will get you everywhere Hannah  ;D

Well the intent was to have draggy, pulling feel to it and of course with lots of space.  It can be difficult for me to hold that vibe but I think I got it happening a couple of times.  What ev.

Ok back to my day job!

Jim R.

Quote from: felix on June 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
Your solo was pretty good if I recall as well Jim R

Thanks Felix.

I don't think I hit was I was going for. I meant to rerecord it and get rid of the quirkiness, but I didn't have the time to do so.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: felix on June 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
Did you synthesize the loop on a grid this time Bart or did you actually play it on some keys live and to the click?  May I ask?

The bass track was not played/recorded live. That being said, it wasn't quantized to the point of being exactly sixteenth-note triplets either. The reason was so that people could play, interpret and do exactly what they did.   8)

felix

Quote from: Hannah Ford on June 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Felix,

REALLY enjoyed your groove....very cool

Hannah

LOL just wanted to read that again.

Hey Hannah, I'm mad at you and I will tell you why:

Your dbl paradiddles over a dbl bass groove is MINE.  You are a stinker cause you just might play it as well as I do at 17 than I do at 41  >:(   ;D

Hannah Ford

Thanks Felix....

Next time (since it's yours) I'll ask permission to use it.  LOL

Thanks for the compliment!!

Hannah

Jim R.

A couple more stand out things:

Hannah's opening crashes to super powerfully. What a way to start out!!
Drumcount for throwing in the cowbell diddles. nice!
Rhythm Stop for living up to your name and putting some space in there.

Bart, those hats were only 7" or 8"? I thought they were like 10"s.

Lou

What a great compilation and I raise my glass to all of you who participated .. it truly was great fun to see and hear you guys play. I hope that in a year I am good enough and that I feel brave enough to participate.

RhythmStop

Quote from: Jim R. on June 11, 2008, 11:47 AM

Rhythm Stop for living up to your name and putting some space in there.

Thanks!  Although it wasn't very much space.  :)
It's definitely cool to hear everyone's different ideas.  I'm going through it a second time (and maybe a third) to see what I really dig.

minddrummer

Just want to congrats everyones who participated, it was nice & entertaining.
I enjoyed  ;)

Two times bravo !!

skinbeatergreg

Chonson

Just wanted to say I enjoyed hearing and watching this solo... the video component was great and made it easier to get an idea of who was playing at any given time.

Dug a lot of the playing. Hope I get to participate next year. :) (And hopefully I will be back with a practice space soon.)

JeepnDrummer

Wow, very nice job by everyone!  Bart, I really appreciate the effort and time you put into this.  Perhaps odd, but after watching the video I want to reup my VIP membership.

I'm kicking myself for not contributing, because playing to this kind of loop is right up my alley.  I regretted not sending in anything for the three prior community solos, but I really regret missing this one.

I hope next year's will be nearly the same.  The advantage of using a loop like this is it allows drummers to play a groove and mix in other types of playing along the way.  I shy away from the all out solo.

felix

Quote from: Nick on June 11, 2008, 03:37 AM
Very cool work everybody!  8)

And thanks Bart for putting it all together so well.

It's great to hear them all together, and Felix.. This just once again proves why you are 'da man!' 
Cheers

;D

N

Love to read about how cool I am!  LOLz   8)  :D  ;D

yeah, the DC TV really wanted me to re subscribe to my VIP membership.  I really enjoy this place anyways.

So Nick and I were talking offline and he wanted me to comment about his copper snare drum.  I actually think the compact punchy tone of it compliments his style and genre very well.  He asked if he should go for a brass drum; well, I would guess brass would be more open sounding than copper if that is what you want but I'd say the copper would have a heavier vibe to it.  Which is cool right?

I mean everyone has a brass snare.  Gawd!   ;)

That was a good recording you did dude!  YOU always sound great and like yourself.  Not easy to get your own sound happening.

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on June 12, 2008, 07:52 AM

That was a good recording you did dude!  YOU always sound great and like yourself.  Not easy to get your own sound happening.
I think my friends camera didn't capture the Audio very well.  I am going to have to invest in some better equipment.   Most of the recordings came out very nicely so I agree with you Felix, as far as people were able to capture there sound and I heard some great snare tone.
You could tell the difference in Equipment big time on this.  Hannah had great tone as well as Gaetano. David Criggers tone really impressed me too and Barts sound quality was great as always. The drummer that played after me had some of the best tone I heard on the list.
                  You guys Rocked,
                         Nutty

felix

Yeah but Nutty, so what?  Your groove was happening and that is the most important thing.  Bart probably had to compress the files even more so the sound quality is not going to be as sweet sounding as it is in your studio.

Now Frank takes the cake for the absolute most garage band sounding recording.  That in itself is feat to be reckoned with  ;D  Good job bro!  LOLz  funny stuff.

NY Frank

Quote from: felix on June 12, 2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah but Nutty, so what?  Your groove was happening and that is the most important thing.  Bart probably had to compress the files even more so the sound quality is not going to be as sweet sounding as it is in your studio.

Now Frank takes the cake for the absolute most garage band sounding recording.  That in itself is feat to be reckoned with  ;D  Good job bro!  LOLz  funny stuff.

Yeah - it sounded like it was recorded underwater.  Even my wife noticed.
Good news is - she'll understand when I eventually spend a few dollars
on a real mic.

Nick

Quote from: felix on June 12, 2008, 08:05 AM
So Nick and I were talking offline and he wanted me to comment about his copper snare drum.  I actually think the compact punchy tone of it compliments his style and genre very well.  He asked if he should go for a brass drum; well, I would guess brass would be more open sounding than copper if that is what you want but I'd say the copper would have a heavier vibe to it.  Which is cool right?

I mean everyone has a brass snare.  Gawd!   ;)

Thanks Felix,

That's good info thanks!

I have also been chatting with Ryan (Ryno) about this snare, he was so amazingly helpful with the starclassic burbinga information, (superb guy, really, really helpful!) and he has also given me some killer info & also sent me a recording of his tama brass shell which was incredibly useful!

I think I am definitely going to keep this snare now  8)

Thanks Guys!

:)

N

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Twas great guys, had loads of fun.

It's great being able to put faces/music/drums to peoples screen names now too.

NY Frank

Quote from: Antman on June 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
Twas great guys, had loads of fun.

It's great being able to put faces/music/drums to peoples screen names now too.

Hey bro, I enjoyed your playing, and you submitted a cool pic.
I remember your segment vividly - cuz it comes right before mine.

:)