• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

4th Annual Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, April 07, 2008, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Quote from: New York Frank on June 12, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hey bro, I enjoyed your playing, and you submitted a cool pic.
I remember your segment vividly - cuz it comes right before mine.

:)

Yah, really made a point about how much more important playing is rather than recording equipment/techniques  :P

Really dug your groove.

I have to keep rewatching it, and absorbing everyones groove... mmmmmmm grooove *drools, Homer Simpson style*

Bart Elliott

FYI ... Drum Count didn't send in a picture, which is why I gave him a photo (The Unknown Comic). Thought it was appropriate.  8)

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Antman on June 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
Twas great guys, had loads of fun.

It's great being able to put faces/music/drums to peoples screen names now too.

Hey Antman,

Watched it again last night with Dad and we both really dug your groove....I hear something different everytime....lol

Again, this was great fun and I agree it's great placing faces with names.

Hannah

Nick

Quote from: New York Frank on June 12, 2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah - it sounded like it was recorded underwater.  Even my wife noticed.
Good news is - she'll understand when I eventually spend a few dollars
on a real mic.
I actually liked your recorded sound, the killa groove helped no doubt, but there was something gloriously low-fi about it, and there is plenty of Pro Tools plug-ins that have been developed at great expense in the last few years to create that kind of effect...  ;)

Having said all that, you have permission to buy new shiny things, why are you posting here and not surfing eBay for a new toy  ;D

;)

N

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Quote from: Hannah Ford on June 12, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hey Antman,

Watched it again last night with Dad and we both really dug your groove....I hear something different everytime....lol

Again, this was great fun and I agree it's great placing faces with names.

Hannah

Thanks,

I dug your change from the really solid groove to the busier groove. Took me by surprise.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Thanks for the kind words, it only took me 4 years to pull it off. And its pretty sad when someone IN VIDEO PRODUCTION can't pull off a video. Also I cringe at my engineering skills having Gaetano follow me.

I've always liked the "staightening out the swing feel" and coming at things from an unexpected angle.

Sounds like diddle did a similar thing.

I liked Bobhead's feel and approach alot too

I think Bart's 2nd solo is about my fav.

Great job everyone, Bart, thanks for all you do!!!! ;D ;D

Gaetano Nicolosi

Here I am! Finally I got the time check it out... I am so busy lately that I don't have much time for internet....
Anyway, good job to everyone...Every year the community solo is geting better and better. I like a lot the idea of the video, and since I just got a video camera for my birthday, I'll video my solo for the next community solo (Bart, I may will need your help for that,I Know nothing about video  :( ).

Here it is...
First class all the way!

VARBED

Quote from: felix on June 11, 2008, 08:50 AM

Varbed, your sonor toms sounded GREAT!

Thanks Felix.  I figured you would notice the Sonor kit.  It was my first time recording with my Zoom hand held digital recorder.  That thing captures the sound pretty close to actual.

Which kit did you use?

NY Frank

Quote from: VARBED on June 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Felix.  I figured you would notice the Sonor kit.  It was my first time recording with my Zoom hand held digital recorder.  That thing captures the sound pretty close to actual.

Off to go check out Varbed's audio.  Hey how did you like My audio?  Huh?   ;)    ;) 

felix

Quote from: VARBED on June 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
Which kit did you use?

I used the sonor Delite kick 17x22 which I'm still tweaking and the Delite 5x14 snare drum (I'm pretty sure although honestly- I can't really remember for sure).  Both are thin maple with glue rings.

I actually go back and forth with the Delite drumset quite a bit as it is a newer one and has not settled down like my Force 1000 and Force 3000 kits which sound remarkable for their price.  The Delites have alot of potential and respond best to low volume situations where an ambient open sound is called for.

Everyone always wants me to play the Force 3000 kit though.  That's the kit I hear about from all my jamming buddies.

NY Frank

Quote from: New York Frank on June 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
Off to go check out Varbed's audio.

Very cool audio from the Zoom unit.  And very cool cymbal work at the end of the segment.

Hannah Ford

Hey Frank I enjoyed your solo...but the pic of you and your daughter is a classic....wow is she cute!!!

Hannah

NY Frank

Quote from: Hannah Ford on June 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
...but the pic of you and your daughter is a classic....wow is she cute!!!

Yeah - I figured I had to do Something right for my contribution.
She's a sweetie.

David Crigger

Hi - just thought I'd chime in and congratulate everyone on a job well done!! And, of course, thank Bart for the time and energy putting it all together.

Very cool to put faces and playing with names and writings. And the video thing - well, how cool is that. Obviously nothing like seeing the playing as well as hearing it - not in a showbiz way, but in a "how the motions of playing equate with the sounds produced". Plus kind of a kick to peek into everyone's studio, practice room, bedroom or wherever we have or call our personal little "Batcaves."

Anyway, really fun, and good job all.

David

VARBED

Quote from: New York Frank on June 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
Very cool audio from the Zoom unit.  And very cool cymbal work at the end of the segment.

Thanks Frank.  I wouldn't worry too much about quality of the recording.  The drumming was solid, and that is what counts.

-Vik

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on June 12, 2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah but Nutty, so what?  Your groove was happening and that is the most important thing.  Bart probably had to compress the files even more so the sound quality is not going to be as sweet sounding as it is in your studio.

Actually Felix, I am going to Nashville at the end of this week to get a lesson on my Groove/playing hands on. There are some bad habits that I have picked up over the years that need to be broken ::).  Hope it helps!
                               Nutty

Drum Count

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 12, 2008, 09:52 AM
FYI ... Drum Count didn't send in a picture, which is why I gave him a photo (The Unknown Comic). Thought it was appropriate.  8)

Actually Bart I sent you a video of my performance - maybe it didn't get through.

It seemed to me that the sound was out of sync at the end,
don't know if it's due to bitrate conversion or it's
caused by my digital camera.

Anyway, it was fun!
Bye!

scarmike67

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
I wanted to publicly apologize to Scarmike67. His 12-year-old son submitted a solo this year but unfortunately I was unable to use it or find a place for it because there were only 10 bars in his solo rather than 12. The Community Solo was set-up for 12 measures per soloist, and throwing a 10 measure solo in there was creating too much havoc for me, so I had to give up. Hopefully he will contribute again next time.

No problem Bart!  I told him I wasn't sure if it would make it in time anyway.  He really enjoyed watching the great solos, and actually he said he would rather submit a better one next time when he's had more practice.  I want to sincerely thank you for organizing this solo because it encouraged me to video him playing drums at age 12, which may not have happened otherwise.  Now we have a video that will be treasured in years to come.  (I can't wait to compare his solo this year to the one next year to see his improvement.)

Hannah Ford

Quote from: scarmike67 on June 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
No problem Bart!  I told him I wasn't sure if it would make it in time anyway.  He really enjoyed watching the great solos, and actually he said he would rather submit a better one next time when he's had more practice.  I want to sincerely thank you for organizing this solo because it encouraged me to video him playing drums at age 12, which may not have happened otherwise.  Now we have a video that will be treasured in years to come.  (I can't wait to compare his solo this year to the one next year to see his improvement.)

Hey Steve,

Hat's off to you for being so supportive of your son!!  Please keep us informed of his progress.

Tell him I'll look forward to seeing his solo when we do the next DC Community Solo.

Hannah

smoggrocks

Quote from: David Crigger on June 14, 2008, 03:00 AM
Hi - just thought I'd chime in and congratulate everyone on a job well done!! And, of course, thank Bart for the time and energy putting it all together.

Very cool to put faces and playing with names and writings. And the video thing - well, how cool is that. Obviously nothing like seeing the playing as well as hearing it - not in a showbiz way, but in a "how the motions of playing equate with the sounds produced". Plus kind of a kick to peek into everyone's studio, practice room, bedroom or wherever we have or call our personal little "Batcaves."

Anyway, really fun, and good job all.

David

+1!

this is the first chance i get to chill and watch the cs. very cool! so interesting seeing such the wide range of styles, groove choices and kits. i like checking out the batcaves, too!

i swear i'm gonna do next year. couldn't get it together in time, and my finger wasn't happening. but it's totally getting there, so i am committing to stepping into the mix.

bravo, all!