• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Beginner Drum Kit

Started by danfenton, November 14, 2008, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfenton

Hey i'm new   :)

I'm looking to buy my first drum kit because i'm trying to compose my own jazz and rock music and i'd like to play as much of it as i can so i'm learning piano as well. I'm primarily a guitarist and i have been for many years but i think it's time to learn something new.

When i started out playing guitar i joined a guitar forum and the people where really helpful when it came to choosing a decent starter kit for me. So i've decided to join this forum hoping some of you will know what's good and what's not and list some decent starter kits.

I don't know much about drums, i've only ever sat and messed around on my friends. So hopefully i've given you enough information about what i'm trying to achieve in order for you to identify what kind of kits i should be looking at.

Many thanks
Dan

eardrum

Welcome Dan,
There are lots of discussions on entry level kits.  If you use the search feature you'll find a bunch of ideas. Kits under $1000, Entry level, Beginner Kit, etc..  Alot depends on your budget.

First, it's always good to get some lessons.  A good teacher can also recommend good places to look. 

Second, like guitars, a drum set can run from $100 to $10,000.  Since you are starting I'd suggest a simple 4 or 5 piece kit.  22" Kick, 14" snare is standard. Toms are usually 12, 13 and 16  10, 12, 14. 

Third, used kits are often a good choice.  Whether new or used, make friends with a drummer so they can play the kit while you stand back to hear it properly and hopefully they can help you check out the details.

Fourth, you may need to replace the stock heads on a new kit or used heads on a used kit so keep that in mind when figuring your budget.  New players don't often realize how important good heads are for great sound.

Fifth, cymbals are a big part of your sound and cheap entry level cymbals are, well, cheap.  Used mid to high end cymbals might be a better choice, again, depends on the budget.

Sixth, check out the hardware. Make sure you are comfortable with the adjustments, the quality, etc.

To repeat, think about finding a teacher and getting lessons. Even before you get a kit.  Playing and learning may change your thinking about the instrument pretty quickly and help you find out what you really want.

Cheers and good luck.