• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

do you play better with a particular pair of sticks

Started by Hank Gagnon, December 28, 2008, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Gagnon

On occasion i play using hot rods. lately i have found that my playing has improved using these instead of my regular sticks. other times i find that a certain pair of sticks make my drums sound better than using other sticks.

Absolut

i used to play with 2B's. then, at the beginning of september, i switched over to a jazz model stick.

needless to say, im flying now  ;D

chilledbongo

specifically, how has your playing improved w hot rods?

i use em and variations of them all the time. i often use a 7a jazz stick for cymbals and a hot rod or some type of plastic stick for the snare. i like the somewhat softer sound it makes on the snare and find i can get some really nice rimshots with them as well.

what i dont like is that hot rods and their cousins seem almost inaudible on cymbals, unless i use the very largest thunder sticks. its also a little harder to play certain rolls with two different types of sticks, but i do it.

i think hot rods csan make you a little more confident because they dont accentuate any slight errors like a stick would. imho. 8)

Chip Donaho

I've used Hot Rods on certain tunes. But most of the time I use Regal Tip 7A. I've been known to use a regular stick on the ride and a Hot Rod on the snare. Which can be rather tricky when changing songs on the fly, but can be done. I usually have spare sticks in my rear jean pocket while playing.  ;)

Paicey

I need sticks that feel right so im not thinking while playing wether or not they are to long light heavy or imbalanced. The Vinnie Colaiuta Zildjian 5B is that stick that feels just right for me.

Jon E

5A nylon or 5B nylons will take care of 99% of my gigs.  I REALLY like a product called FlixTips.  Sort of a cross bewteen sricks and Hot Rods.  They have a bead so you can still get note definition. I like the blue ones.

Paicey

Quote from: Jon E on December 30, 2008, 12:47 PM
5A nylon or 5B nylons will take care of 99% of my gigs.  I REALLY like a product called FlixTips.  Sort of a cross bewteen sricks and Hot Rods.  They have a bead so you can still get note definition. I like the blue ones.

Now THOSE look like something i could have used when i was supporting a country performer 6 months ago. Thanks for the photos, im going to look into these.

orty

Since I play mostly classical or concert percussion, I change sticks and mallets all the time, depending on the needs of the piece. Typically, though, when I'm playing on the snare, I'll use my Vic Firth SD1s because I can seem to control them loud and soft better than some with not as much work. If I need something really light and crisp, I'll use a pair of round-tip Zildjian 7As that I've had forever and have yet to break. I've wanted to try a pair of TG15s for concert snare work, but no place locally sells them and I didn't want to bust out the money for something I might totally hate.

NY Frank

I *gotta* play with my sticks.   Which gets kinda embarrassing, because I'll show to a show, someone will say - hey, play a few tunes with us -
I'll say - oh, no, I really shouldn't - and then I proceed to whip out my sticks.  :)    [pulling them out of my wife's pocketbook]

Gotta play with my sticks.  Which, these days, are - Regal Tip Jazz Combos.  Suhweet.   :)

Joe

Well, if I'm playing a lot of ride cymbal, I might go for a longer taper---less fatigue that way.

If I want to dig in more, I might go for a shorter taper.  Or, I might just turn the sticks around.

I never could stick (oh ha-ha) to one particular size, but a popular one would be around 16 inches and roughly .550" in diameter, with varying tapers and tips.

Hank Gagnon

once my hot stix start to show some wear, i wrap duck tape just short of the tip.  gives a little bit more cymbal response and a nice mellow fat sound on the snare.

Louis Russell

There are some sticks that are better suited to my playing for some songs but I refuse to get my panties bunched up if the ones I prefer are not available.  It is my technique and experience making the music and I adapt to the equipment available. 

Todd Norris

Quote from: Louis on January 02, 2009, 09:15 PM
There are some sticks that are better suited to my playing for some songs but I refuse to get my panties bunched up if the ones I prefer are not available.  It is my technique and experience making the music and I adapt to the equipment available. 

Yeah, I have preferences on sticks and everything else, but I should be able to execute with anything thats available.  Fortunately I don't find myself in that situation often.