• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

cymbal

Started by Erk, February 06, 2009, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erk

hey Bart, i was just wondering, would you ever buy a cymbal online? I found this great K session ride for only 275 online from a very good website.

Bart Elliott

For me, new cymbals I typically don't do this because I want to hear the cymbal in person and assess it's true quality. When I was young, and lived in an area with a music store that had little or no cymbal selections, I ordered via mail order. Nowadays you can actually see and hear the cymbal, which is far better. Bottom line ... you've got to do what works best for you. As a younger player I had no experiences to base my likes and dislikes on, so purchasing via mail order made a lot of sense. With the Internet, the chances of you getting what you are expecting is highly probable.

I would purchase cymbals online if they were:

• Vintage or unique cymbals - and at an incredible price
  • Cymbals I feel is worth the risk, knowing that I could sell it
    and get my money back if I didn't like the instrument.
  • New, great price, and the sound is fairly consistent from
    cymbal to cymbal with that particular brand/model/series.
    This way I truly know what I'm getting; no surprises.

The few times I've personally purchased cymbals online, they've been old, unique, used cymbals off eBay.

If you've found a good seller, and you've seen/heard the cymbal, the price is fair and your REALLY like the cymbal ... then you know what to do!

Erk

yeah bart, i hear ya. like ive heard the cymbal when steve gadd uses it, but im sure likely hood of it sounding that good isnt great. thats just a great deal for that particular cymbal, because its like 350 + most places. i think im going to try some local music shops around boston. however, everywhere i go they dont have the k sessions.

thats what i reallly need a new ride and a new pair of hi hats.