• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Community drum solo 2009!

Started by Gaetano Nicolosi, March 07, 2009, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Bart,
I am game for a click or loop or a free-for-all. It really doesn't matter to me. I will work with what ever you give us.
I think that the music loop is easier to play with but I am OK with what ever U choose.
                             Nutty

Robyn

Quote from: New York Frank on March 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
Absatively vote for a loop/tune - not just a click/bell.

It's about music, brothers and sisters.

I don't think I'm quite ready to participate, but I really enjoyed listening to last year's CS, and liked best a few of you who really made the track groove!  So I have to agree w/ Frank and Bart.  Last years' really flowed together well and sounded like one cool, long song.  I'm not a big fan of solos either, but maybe that's b/c I'm not there yet. ;D

robyn

Todd Norris

I like the challenge of finding something to work with a loop. 

Gaetano Nicolosi

Quote from: kmaley on March 26, 2009, 05:56 PM

Totally random but is there a reason Felix's solo always follows Gaetano's ;)

We are in First Class all the way!!!  ;D

I don't personally have any preferences, either click or loop will be fine to me...

Hey Felix if the click track will not happen for the community solo, we can do a duet in a separate project together!  ;D Show some triplets Felix!  8)

Rock on guys, the time is getting closer.....

Chonson

Hannah Ford

I'm good with the click or the loop....

Preference???  Definitely LOOP!  Let's make some music... :D

Hannah

felix

I might participate this year Gaetano- I don't know yet.  I might just kick back and listen to all the great drummers out there.

NY Frank

Cmon felix - don't be holding out on us.  Your participation is required.

If anyone should be bowing out and not wasting people's time, it's - me.

Jon E

I've never done it, but am thinking about it. We'll have to see if my kornputer skills are worthy!  :P

btw: how much does the winner win again??   8) ;D :-* ::) :P

NY Frank

Quote from: Jon E on March 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
btw: how much does the winner win again??   8) ;D :-* ::) :P

The opportunity to participate again the following year.    :)

Mark Counts

Quote from: felix on March 30, 2009, 08:15 AM
I might participate this year Gaetano- I don't know yet.  I might just kick back and listen to all the great drummers out there.
Come on Cat man. It wouldn't be the same without Felix!

Jon E

Quotebtw: how much does the winner win again??

Maybe I should pay everyone and handsome fee for allowing me to participate.

dizz

Ya, felix -we need you to represent Sonor  8)

felix

ha ha.  I don't know- I'll see if I dig the loop or not  ;D

You guys really want to hear Mr. A, Doug Tann, David C. and Gaetano (Hannah's no slouch either).  Plus there are always a few the come out of the woodwork and really shred.

Like I said I might just wanna chill- I've had a rough year.   No big deal.

Mark Pedersen

Probably not going to participate (no video access) but I would vote for a loop as opposed to a click. Get your groove on!

Bart Elliott

I've been narrowing down my ideas for the "loop". The challenge is to try and have something that works as a play-along, not too busy, not too sparse, not too boring ... and won't drive you crazy hearing it over and over again within the final mix.

So ...

What do you think of grooving/soloing over the bass-line from Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon"? Tempo wise, around the tempo that the Head Hunters played it (live); not as slow and greasy as Maynard Ferguson played it. This should allow people to rock-out, funk it up, displace, whatever you want. There's enough to play-along to, but not so much that it will put you in a box. I'll still provide a loop mix with and without click ... just like last year.

Unless there's a unanimous outcry of "NO" ... this is what we'll do.

I may overdub other instruments (keyboard pad, etc.) after I've mixed all the solos ... if needed ... but for now, just bass groove to play to.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 31, 2009, 06:17 PM
What do you think of grooving/soloing over the bass-line from Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon"?

I may overdub other instruments (keyboard pad, etc.) after I've mixed all the solos ... if needed ... but for now, just bass groove to play to.

Man, I love that song. This will be awesome. Thanks

Todd Norris

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 31, 2009, 06:17 PM
What do you think of grooving/soloing over the bass-line from Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon"? Tempo wise, around the tempo that the Head Hunters played it (live); not as slow and greasy as Maynard Ferguson played it. This should allow people to rock-out, funk it up, displace, whatever you want. There's enough to play-along to, but not so much that it will put you in a box. I'll still provide a loop mix with and without click ... just like last year.

EXCELLENT!  I don't even need to download your loop.  I've got the tune right here on my iPod!

David Crigger

Bart - I think Chameleon would be a great choice. If I might venture a suggestion - which might help break it up more - maybe a choice between two backgrounds? Like maybe the regular bass line vamp loop to play over - or - something with a fixed scheme like four free clicks, eight bars of the main loop, then the two bar release figure - "ba-baaa--ba-baa----ba-be-da-be-di-baa...daa...".  Folks could play over one or the other - and the occasional "scheme" would provide some welcome change and relief from the same two bars over and over.

I don't know - just a thought.. :-)

david

Bart Elliott

Quote from: David Crigger on April 01, 2009, 05:19 AM
Bart - I think Chameleon would be a great choice. If I might venture a suggestion - which might help break it up more - maybe a choice between two backgrounds? Like maybe the regular bass line vamp loop to play over - or - something with a fixed scheme like four free clicks, eight bars of the main loop, then the two bar release figure - "ba-baaa--ba-baa----ba-be-da-be-di-baa...daa...".  Folks could play over one or the other - and the occasional "scheme" would provide some welcome change and relief from the same two bars over and over.

Great minds think alike.  ;) 
I was planning to do something very much like that. I wasn't thinking of having two choices, other than with and without click.

What I'm still not sure about is whether 8-bars is enough, given the tempo. Doubling seems too long, so perhaps your suggestions of 8+2 would suffice.

What about 8 bars, plus the 2 bar figure, plus one additional that holds the last note of the previous bar? The "hold" bar would have the bass pick-up notes. Without the extra bar, the bass pick-up notes (AND 4 AND) would come immediately following the release figure that David so cleverly notated.  ;)

I'll play with it and see what sounds best. The nice thing about the additional bar (8+2+1) is that the previous soloist would end with the release figure, and the next soloist could play into the next series of 8, with the pick-up notes. It would allow the soloist to set-up their solo ... if they wanted ... or leave it open, which would allow the entire composition to breathe even more. I also like it because it would give an odd phrasing to the composition.